Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:11:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Iannucci on Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 24, 2024, 09:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

The programme has already started. I'm looking at the liveblog and when Kuenssberg asks the panel about this week's revelations about Kate, Iannucci replies by saying "conspiracy theories" have filled "the vacuum created by our media". I'm not sure I agree with that - I think the media were helping to fuel the conspiracy theories.

jobotic

McDead

It's like something out of "The Thick of It" isn't it

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 24, 2024, 09:20:57 AMThe programme has already started. I'm looking at the liveblog and when Kuenssberg asks the panel about this week's revelations about Kate, Iannucci replies by saying "conspiracy theories" have filled "the vacuum created by our media". I'm not sure I agree with that - I think the media were helping to fuel the conspiracy theories.

The vacuum created by the media not publishing any stories about Kate for the last 3 months? That vacuum, Armando?

Captain Z

What's big and small at the same time?

The danger posed by Jeremy Corbyn.

Fambo Number Mive

The only other comment I can see on him from the liveblog is this one:

QuoteArmando Iannucci had the last words on the panel, and said that: "fact checking costs money and the government should stop trying to take money away from our public broadcasters. If we want something we can trust, it needs to have resources behind it."

It's likely I've missed one though.

Urinal Cake

I just finished listening to Alexei Sayle's interview with Capaldi, where Sayle calls Iannucci half-jokingly a class traitor. I feel Sayle has a point.

lauraxsynthesis

Seems unlikely Iannucci will be the first melt to realise he should apologise for his behaviour during the Corbyn years, but behind his eyes it seemed the penny is starting to drop.

Minami Minegishi

Whenever Iannucci talks about Corbyn they should wheel his Italian Partisan Father into the room to sit at the back staring at him like Vincezo Pentangeli.

shoulders

Iannucci is one of the best examples of the liberal Guardian tendency. They can never spell out exactly what sort of option they'd prefer because what they want is mutually incompatible.

They want to keep their privilege, they want a centre right administration to keep inflation low and their mortgages affordable and they buy into all these rhetorical lies about the nations credit card, who is unelectable, that business would leave if taxes went up, that chains them in a mental prison they are locked inside of through their own creation, but still day dream about a pretend Labour administration that did xyz.

Mentioning they spurned it the moment it was presented to them seems to make their brains go fzzzzt

TheAssassin

Quote from: Urinal Cake on March 24, 2024, 11:30:56 AMI just finished listening to Alexei Sayle's interview with Capaldi, where Sayle calls Iannucci half-jokingly a class traitor. I feel Sayle has a point.

Alexei calling someone a class traitor? Does Alexei live in Toxteth, or does he live somewhere nice?

AllisonSays

Yeah, the only way to not be a class traitor is to live in a total state of stasis whereby you never change anything about your life, maintaining it EXACTLY AS IT WAS on the moment you were born, born into the state of purity and wisdom that is BEING WORKING CLASS.

Bought a cappucino? Class traitor. Washing machine? Bourgeouis scum. Is that a Dickies beanie I see on your head - don't even get me started.

Sorry. The point is that it makes more sense to say it about Ianucci than it does about Sayle because the latter has retained a committment to the left while having a successful career and making a comfortable life out of that; the former, as has been discussed exhaustively and as is evinced in many of the posts on here, is committed to the liberal consensus that has been fucking over workingclass people for the last 40 years.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: TheAssassin on March 24, 2024, 07:47:13 PMAlexei calling someone a class traitor? Does Alexei live in Toxteth, or does he live somewhere nice?
I think it's more to do with his rhethoric\politics than anything material.

phantom_power

I saw a clip from him the other day, though I don't know when it was from, of him saying he thinks (controversial opinion!) MPs should be paid MORE because apparently financial incentive is the only way to get good politicians, and 80 grand isn't incentive enough

lazyhour

His thinking is probably that it would dissuade politicians from also getting lucrative Directorships etc while in office. I've heard this argument before, that MPs should get paid more so they concentrate on the job.

It's bollocks of course. They're not children who need their Switch taken away so they'll concentrate on their homework. If the money isn't enough for you then maybe just go and work for big business (which you spend half your time doing anyway).

Funcrusher

I'd be fine for MPs salaries to be increased significantly if it was combined with a total ban on second jobs/consultancy etc.

lazyhour

Quote from: Funcrusher on March 25, 2024, 09:41:42 AMI'd be fine for MPs salaries to be increased significantly if it was combined with a total ban on second jobs/consultancy etc.

Or, just do the second part.

MPs are supposed to serve the people. It's not the private sector. If the wage plus allowances plus London accommodation isn't enough for you, the job's not for you.

phantom_power

Quote from: lazyhour on March 25, 2024, 09:39:11 AMHis thinking is probably that it would dissuade politicians from also getting lucrative Directorships etc while in office. I've heard this argument before, that MPs should get paid more so they concentrate on the job.

It's bollocks of course. They're not children who need their Switch taken away so they'll concentrate on their homework. If the money isn't enough for you then maybe just go and work for big business (which you spend half your time doing anyway).

It isn't like 80 grand is a pittance either, and then you add expenses and cheap meals in parliament and they are hardly on the breadline

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: TheAssassin on March 24, 2024, 07:47:13 PMAlexei calling someone a class traitor? Does Alexei live in Toxteth, or does he live somewhere nice?

I bet he even has an iPhone.

Icepick.

SpiderChrist

Why would he live in Toxteth? He was born in Anfield iirc.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: phantom_power on March 25, 2024, 09:07:07 AMI saw a clip from him the other day, though I don't know when it was from, of him saying he thinks (controversial opinion!) MPs should be paid MORE because apparently financial incentive is the only way to get good politicians, and 80 grand isn't incentive enough

I know there are a lot fewer MP roles than nurses or teachers, but given the number of nurses and teachers who have left their roles because of pay and conditions, I'd much rather more was done to retain them by paying them properly and improving their conditions than raising MPs pay again. There will never be any shortage of people wanting to become MPs either.

You'd think someone who worked on The Day Today would have a bit more nous for bullshit.

In fairness, he's also been speaking out about child poverty and comparing the UK to a Dickens novel.

buzby

Quote from: SpiderChrist on March 25, 2024, 01:29:21 PMWhy would he live in Toxteth? He was born in Anfield iirc.
Yes, Alexei is a north end lad. The Sayles lived in 5 Valley Road in Anfield, just down Oakfield Road from Liverpool's ground.

derek stitt

Quote from: shoulders on March 24, 2024, 01:38:48 PMIannucci is one of the best examples of the liberal Guardian tendency. They can never spell out exactly what sort of option they'd prefer because what they want is mutually incompatible.

They want to keep their privilege, they want a centre right administration to keep inflation low and their mortgages affordable and they buy into all these rhetorical lies about the nations credit card, who is unelectable, that business would leave if taxes went up, that chains them in a mental prison they are locked inside of through their own creation, but still day dream about a pretend Labour administration that did xyz.

Mentioning they spurned it the moment it was presented to them seems to make their brains go fzzzzt
You tell no lies. Would not be surprised is Ianucci had a Coogan clone living as a 'Clive the Geordie' type in the coal hole    so he can keep in touch with the common man. Didn't Victoria Corden Mitchell also say something along the lines of, bollocks to ethics and morals, I much prefer being seen as clever clever and above you cunts any bastard day of the week. To paraphrase Sayle (on the Oxbridge lot) "there like the masons".

gilbertharding

I hate to say it, but I'm not even really sure if his sitcom 'In The Thick of It' was even that good. Rewatching it, it just looks like the pitch was 'Fucking Yes Minister You Cunt'. It's just as much about politics as a game, but with a much blunter edge.

idunnosomename

I liked the first series with Chris Langham in it

Senior Baiano

Toxteth is positively bougie compared to Anfield btw

Senior Baiano

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 25, 2024, 08:07:25 PMit just looks like the pitch was 'Fucking Yes Minister You Cunt'.

Which, nothing necessarily wrong with that and it had some good jokes and characters. It's just disappointing that the sense of anger that I assumed was a driver of the show wasn't actually really intended at all and was read into it by malcontents like me.

Senior Baiano

And they certainly never got to grips at all with post-2010 politics, final series was a waste of time

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Senior Baiano on March 27, 2024, 10:02:53 AMWhich, nothing necessarily wrong with that and it had some good jokes and characters. It's just disappointing that the sense of anger that I assumed was a driver of the show wasn't actually really intended at all and was read into it by malcontents like me.

It was written from a place of comfort not discontent. People who have the time to saunter around Soho drinking lattes and reading a newspaper for 3 hours, MIDWEEK!