Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,780
  • Total Topics: 106,776
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:54:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Where the **** is this supposed to be set?

Started by George White, January 07, 2024, 11:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Late Satoru Iwata

George White

This 1968 ep of ABC Robert Wagner spy show It Takes A Thief, set in Liverpool. Begins with footage of the ferry passing the Liver Building and the Cunard building, then Wellington's column, St. George's Hall, the Northwestern Hotel at Lime St station obscuring the Liverpool empire, (no trip to Casey Jones' burger bar, alas), intercut with Robert Wagner dressed as a one-eyed docker maneuvring through a boarding house that seems to be located inside lime Street station, and then the faux-Parisian roofs of Universal's Little Europe

Ironic it has Julie Newmar in it, considering the Batman (2022) would be shot at George's Hall.

Also shot at George's Hall, this incredibly cloying Coke ad, which tires to do a I'd like to Teach the World to Sing again, but feels really cloyingly faux-American like the Fanta ads.

George White

Watching the 1990 Angela Lansbury/Dirty Denholm TVM The Love She Sought (1990), about a Minnesota schoolteacher who befriends/romances a priest in Dublin, and while Dublin plays itself (and Enniskerry'Ballybeg'), Bray, specifically Quinsborough Rd plays Minnesota, fake snow all over the play, with Bray Post Office and a disguised Gem (my childhood newsagent), while the old furniture store where Tesco is now has a major part.
Like the MSW eps set in Ireland in reverse. Niall Toibin plays a Yank.
Robert Prosky, Cynthia Nixon and Nadine Hurley's bit on the side Mike are all locals, while various Irish actors in smaller roles support them, doing ddogy accents.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on January 30, 2024, 03:54:44 PMBray, specifically Quinsborough Rd plays Minnesota

Now that's a sentence I never thought I'd live to read! In fact, go on Monocle, it's your time to shine!

What next, the Sugarloaf as Mount Doom?!

George White

My grandad appears as a farmer in the Enniskerry bit.

George White

'Dublin' in the 1983 TVM Choices of the Heart (like the Love She Sought, directed by Joseph 'Pelham 123/Jaws THe Revenge' Sargent, starring Melissa Gilbert, Helen Hunt, Martin Sheen as an Irish priest doing a fair accent (but hey, he is a citizen thanks to his mam, and as Glebe has mentioned, took a computer course here) and Patrick Cassidy (the least of Jack's sons behind David and Shaun) in a flat cap as an Oirishman.

Played by Mexico.

Irish college life is represented by a big radio, a wall of Beatles merch, Union Flags and US flags on the wall and a carton of Kelloggs' Cornflakes, and lots of singing of the Wild Rover and Whiskey or the Devil.

Here's Shannon Airport.

Dublin in the 1977 NBC pilot The 3000 Mile Chase.
Yes, it's Oakley Court.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on January 30, 2024, 05:26:08 PMMy grandad appears as a farmer in the Enniskerry bit.

Nice one!

I've never seen Hugh Leonard adaptation Da (1988), it's been mentioned before of course and I'm sure you know much more about it then I do George, but here's the trailer, mad seeing Martin Sheen, Barnard Hughes and (checks name) William Hickey in Dalkey but Sheen's character mentioning Deansgrange is truly mindblowing!

Then there's Sheen in Dublin on Who Do You Think You Are?:

George White

Hughes though is the spit of present day Pat Ingoldsby. One time he was at Horrorthon, and we initially noticed him not cos he was an ex kids TV star here but cos he looked exactly like Hughes in the Lost Boys.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on February 02, 2024, 02:20:04 PMHughes though is the spit of present day Pat Ingoldsby. One time he was at Horrorthon, and we initially noticed him not cos he was an ex kids TV star here but cos he looked exactly like Hughes in the Lost Boys.

Chuckle! My first exposure to Barnard Hughes came thanks to US comedy series Mr. Merlin. Then there's TVM The UFO Incident (1975), which is based on the famous Barney and Betty Hill alleged alien abduction case - Hughes plays the psychiatrist Barney (James Earl Jones) and Betty (Estelle Parsons) speak to following their experience. The whole thing is on YT in good quality and is definitely worth your time. I've read the book too.:

Glebe

Quote from: Keebleman on January 07, 2024, 09:47:30 PMBabe and The Frighteners are two good examples of movies going to great lengths to pretend they aren't set where they're shot.

Of course Peter Jackson also managed to recreate 1930's New York in NZ for King Kong (2005).

Quote from: frajer on January 08, 2024, 03:57:47 PMI was recently watching The Flash (it's not a great film but it's a weird film and I did enjoy it - FIGHT ME) and it is bizarre to see Batfleck bombing around what is recognisably Glasgow.

But I suppose that's only if you know Glasgow. And there's no reason Gotham City shouldn't have a George Square in it.

The final scenes of The Batman were shot at the Glasgow Necropolis. And Bats had previous form in Caledonia as the aerial scenes for the Bane plane rescue at the start of The Dark Knight Rises were shot over the Cairngorms. But going back to The Batman some of that was filmed in Liverpool, with a bus stop accidentally left in the finished film!:

And speaking of bus stops from the 'wrong' country, check out these shots from Educating Rita, set in the UK but filmed here in Dublin!

George White

Oh, Educating Rita is JUST Dublin. Ilac Centre ads on the buses, Liberty Hall, Irish signs, shops, brands (HB ice cream)...

Similarly, HB ads pop up in a few Corman films shot in Galway.
And a I've mentioned before, the UK corner shop selling Chef Sauce and USA biscuits in The Spy who Came in From the Cold.

Glebe

It's set in and filmed here, but it's mighty weird seeing Neil Young M. Emmet Walsh enjoying a Loop the Loop in Calvary:

Equally surprising to see Barry's Tea in the background in The Simpsons:

George White

Watched the 1990 TVM The Love she Sought (which I mentioned here), which has Denholm Elliott using Brennan's - Today's Bread Today.

The Blackwater Lightship, another Lansbury TVM shot here (set in Wexford, but using Wicklow Town) is based on a Colm Toibin novel, where characters chat about Charlie Bird on the telly, but to be easier understood to CBS audiences, this was cut for the TV adaptation.

Glebe

Always great when your switching channels and you happen upon Denholm Elliott in an old TV episode or obscure horror movie.

Dr Rock

I'm alway reassured that a film was genuinely filmed in Paris when I can see the Eiffel Tower in the background.

Glebe

Quote from: Terry Torpid on January 09, 2024, 11:50:59 AM

One for the hat fucked thread, just discovered that Rich Fulcher plays Garth's body double in that scene. Popped up recently in Wonka and Black Mirror's 'Joan is Awful' (which I just watched again last night!) as Salma Hayek's lawyer.