Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:40:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Triangle of Sadness

Started by Sebastian Cobb, October 13, 2022, 10:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I caught this last night (I think it's showing at the London Film Festival but there was a tie-in locally, general release appears to be October 28th) and thought it was amazing. It's a black comedy/satire that starts off focusing on a couple of fashion models/influencers who then get invited onto a massive yacht for the super-rich (the opening shot is an air-dropped package from a helicopter that contains 3 jars of Nutella) which then leaves some of them stranded on an island.

The above is all in the trailer, some finer details below:
Spoiler alert
Woody Harrelson is the captain who hides away getting pissed while the rest of the crew do the work (he's in a few select scenes which makes me wonder if his availability was limited and it was shot outside main production or something) until a storm kicks off and then the ship capsizes after a pirate attack.

After they're stranded it's revealed that being pampered rich they're all useless at survival, but one of the survivors is a cleaning lady who does have skills who then uses that leverage to become 'captain' of the group, who then exploits that position.
[close]

Overall I think the plot may have been a bit all over the shop, but the cast and humour more than make up for it, Zlatko Burić was one of my favourites as a slobbish Russian billionaire. It was only just typing this out I discovered that Charlbi Dean passed away shortly before release from a viral infection, she was quite good in it and would have probably gone far :(

It's directed by the same guy that did Force Majure which I thought was good but seemed far more serious in its delivery.

phantom_power

Excellent YouTube thumbnail thingy

Sebastian Cobb

Ha! that section of the film goes full Guest House Paradiso in terms of vomiting.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I like how, the artsier a film is, the more vulgarity it seems to pack in.

I think I've seen the trailer for this in front of every film I've seen for the last month or so. It's working too, because I'm really looking forward to seeing the film.

Blue Jam

I almost went to see this today but wasn't sold by the trailer as it looked a bit smug and try-hard, like The White Lotus but without the humour to redeem the unlikable characters. Please tell me I'm wrong because I loved The White Lotus.

George White

Tragic that the leading lady, Charlbi Dean died of suspected suicide before release.

On the bright side, nice to see Oliver Ford Davies from the Phantom Menace and Coogan's Run - Natural Born Quizzers.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: George White on October 30, 2022, 10:23:15 PMTragic that the leading lady, Charlbi Dean died of suspected suicide before release.

I hadn't heard that. I thought it was a rapid infection, she had previously had her spleen removed which makes one susceptible to that sort of thing.

George White

Ah, turns out the website I was reading was just speculation.
Seems you are right.
Feel so bad saying that.

iamcoop

I'm obviously fucking thick as I saw the poster for this at the cinema the other day, and as it has a picture of people on a boat on it I got excited and assumed it was a sequel to Triangle (2009) that I hadn't been aware of.

Still, seems interesting anyway.

mjwilson

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 13, 2022, 10:39:00 AMHa! that section of the film goes full Guest House Paradiso in terms of vomiting.

And more than just vomiting, in one especially horrific moment.

Ron Superior

Absolutely fucking loved this film. For a film whose message was so unsubtle, so much humour and drama came from tiny little details. And considering it was 2 1/2 hours long it absolutely flew by. Every performance in it was perfect. My god. Just loved it.

Ron Superior

Just remembering Woody's drunk winks after almost every line. And the Russian wife sliding round on the floor. What a fucking hoot!

popcorn

Quote from: Ron Superior on November 08, 2022, 04:38:59 PMAbsolutely fucking loved this film. For a film whose message was so unsubtle

I actually couldn't figure out what the message was.

For the first two acts, it seems to be an obvious satire of the oblivious and banal evil of rich people. Sure. But what's going on in the third act?

The toilet cleaner gets her revenge. She manipulates the guy into sex and hoards the supplies. But is this a revenge fantasy we're supposed to cheer on, like a Tarantino movie? Or is she becoming corrupt herself?

None of this is a criticism by any means, I just found it curious/fascinating/non-straightforward.

Sebastian Cobb

I dunno if it's quite revenge or more just slightly sadistic rising to the top of the totem pole because she's the only one with basic survival skills because she hasn't been pampered to the point of uselessness.

I quite liked how even though they were all in the shit and practically dying they were still amusing themselves by hectoring the young model bloke with a whistle.

Replies From View

from Dairylea Film Productions

Ron Superior

Yeah, I think rather than just being the simple message of, the only person that was any actual use to everyone on the island is the one who was least valued and completely ignored, I like that they actually just lived in that world for a bit and let it play out. As far as it's point and message went, the whole film could have been wrapped up in 85 mins, but there was so much joy in every moment of the film that the 2.5hours just zipped by.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: iamcoop on October 31, 2022, 09:31:44 PMI'm obviously fucking thick as I saw the poster for this at the cinema the other day, and as it has a picture of people on a boat on it I got excited and assumed it was a sequel to Triangle (2009) that I hadn't been aware of.

You might be right. Triangle is from 1981, not 2009. And its not even a film.

iamcoop

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on December 02, 2022, 04:44:37 PMYou might be right. Triangle is from 1981, not 2009. And its not even a film.

Eh?

Mr Farenheit

My bad. It seems Triangle 2009 and Triangle of Sadness were both spin-offs from the TV series.

Dr Rock

Just saw this, loved every minute, didn't want it to end.

zomgmouse

watched this yesterday and it pleasantly surprised me. admittedly i didn't quite know what i was in for as i haven't seen any of östlund's films but i had heard he was rather on the nose, which this was in a way but what i didn't expect was how joyfully on the nose it was - never aiming for subtlety in the first place. it did lose me a little in the third act on the island, by then it had dried up much of what made it so charming, but i thought it ended well and the rest of it before part three was some truly magnificent stuff. enjoyed how weird everyone was, despite the caricaturish shells it managed to create foibles for everyone in an amusingly jarring way (e.g. the nervy energy of the main model man). and of course the projectile vomiting and shit exploding toilets was a golden touch. this was very good!

SteveDave

According to Twitter, Liam Gallagher loved this film. I cannot imagine him watching films.

Custard

Could be my fillum of the year. Like others, I loved absolutely every second and didn't want it to end

Super rich uber cuntess sliding around in her own piss and sick is an amazing image, however on the nose it may be

The modelling stuff at the start was great, too. "Where can I sit?"

Oh, this was brilliant

C_Larence

Saw this tonight. Liked the first hour or so but then felt it was outstaying its welcome. Far too many scenes went on for way longer than necessary. Good performances though; that Russian lady sure does vomit convincingly.

Mobius

Just downloaded this and there's no subtitles

waste of time

Mister Six

Quote from: Mobius on December 28, 2022, 09:48:13 AMJust downloaded this and there's no subtitles

waste of time

Put the name of the file into Google with "subs" on the end and you'll get a few webpages with subtitle files. Most video players let you load the files in - I use VLC Media Player.

zomgmouse

there's no need for subtitles, anything that isn't in English isn't necessarily meant to be understood/you can get it from the context

Dr Rock

Quote from: Mobius on December 28, 2022, 09:48:13 AMJust downloaded this and there's no subtitles

waste of time

It's in English.
edit = what zomgmouse said

Blue Jam

Thought this was a gigantic bag of wank. Only the third time I've walked out of a film. Would have felt insulted if I'd stayed to the end, especially after I looked up how it ended:

Spoiler alert
I left after they twatted the donkey. A donkey? A domesticated animal on an island? Come on guys, isn't that a gigantic clue that you've washed up in civilisation? Did none of you seasoned sea dogs even consider walking a bit further over the hill?
[close]

Aaaarrrggghh.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Had a good go on your mum's triangle of sadness last night.