Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,327
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Baltimore bridge fucked

Started by Mobius, March 26, 2024, 08:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mobius on March 26, 2024, 08:28:22 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83a7h3kkgPg

livestream of fucked bridge
looks like its still fucked. Hope they get it fixed for the rush hour.

shoulders

Because of dickhead captain who ploughed his big ship into a bridge, 15,000 children will be going without tamagotchis tonight.

Funcrusher

Decaying infrastructure of fading imperial power is decaying. Or it's just an accident.

Dex Sawash

A second  bridge has hit the ship

shoulders

I didn't personally get a hardon but I imagine some of you did.

Dex Sawash

*5 decades later* we regret to inform you the bridge was racist

shoulders

Reminds me of when that labrador wiped out a Tour De France cyclist then wandered off nonchalantly. But this ship has somehow even more labrador energy than an actual labrador.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 26, 2024, 10:19:14 AM*5 decades later* we regret to inform you the bridge was racist
well it is named after a third-generation american, what do you expect

Senior Baiano

Didn't the ship sink? My the wire joke doesn't make sense otherwise

shoulders

Does the cargo now become subject to dibs?

Imagine going there with a metal detector. It'd be like: METAL!

Dex Sawash

They're livestream bamlem-ing Wallenius Wilhemsen now

dissolute ocelot

Pleased to see it's already on Wikipedia's List of bridge failures, alongside the 2023 Interstate 95 highway collapse in Philadelphia where a tanker caught fire after a crash, damaging an overpass and killing 1; and such notable events as the 2022 Morbi bridge collapse in India (135+ dead); and I'm sure we all remember the Ponte Morande in Genoa, 43 dead in 2018.

It's not too common for ships to cause serious damage to bridges, although sometimes a ship will try and go the wrong way with calamitous results. There was the Ulyanovsk railway bridge disaster in 1988 where a Russian cruise ship went through the wrong span for unclear reasons, causing 176 deaths, but the ship was OK. And a freighter hit the Tasman Bridge in Hobart, Australia in 1977, with 5 deaths - it was foggy and the ship's master allegedly not paying attention. The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway near New Orleans was hit in 1966 with 6 deaths and a bus fell in the lake.

There have been several other bridge collapses in the US this century; highway infrastructure is aging and in desperate need of massive repairs, as engineers will tell you constantly, although it's allegedly getting a bit better.

steve98

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on March 26, 2024, 09:54:01 AMOR TERRORISTS?!!!?!!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!? /s

Obv(Obviously) it was Terrorists. Think about it - The bridge was named after the dude that wrote The Spar-Spangled Banner - That's FACT #1... and that's the only fact you need. If that doesn't start alarm bells screamin' in your head, you need your... head examined.

Psybro

Ship was from Singapore which is in the eastern hemisphere, just like?  China.  We are at war, people.

shoulders

The bridge was a bad faith actor, just you wait and see.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Psybro on March 26, 2024, 10:45:36 AMShip was from Singapore which is in the eastern hemisphere, just like?  China.  We are at war, people.

sevendaughters

It is possible to walk from one side to the other using the bridge and the hull of the boat and a shipping container full of Pelotons, that's not failure to me.

steve98

Alberon

The bridge in happier days guest starring in The Wire.

Psybro

Possible explanations given this event's location:

- the ship was being driven by cops who didn't like the way the bridge was moving
- the bridge was attending the wrong school on that particular day
- the bridge committed a double murder in the early 90s and had finally exhausted all possible routes of appeal

Butchers Blind

touchingcloth

Good morning, Baltimore
Every bridge like an open door

Uh, oh oh, fucked up by boats

touchingcloth

Quote from: Psybro on March 26, 2024, 10:52:45 AMPossible explanations given this event's location:

- the ship was being driven by cops who didn't like the way the bridge was moving
- the bridge was attending the wrong school on that particular day
- the bridge committed a double murder in the early 90s and had finally exhausted all possible routes of appeal

You don't drive a ship, you're thinking of cars. buzby seems to think that the boat was being controlled by a pilot, but he's got confused with planes. Maybe that's the problem here, and the wrong sorts of professionals were in charge of things rather than the ship being filled with seamen.

Urinal Cake

What does John Waters David Simon Stav think?

Dex Sawash

Norton Canes

QuoteA Singapore-based shipping expert who has sailed cargo ships through Baltimore's port many times has been speaking with the BBC.

"The vessel had just departed from berth and made a turn before hitting the bridge".

Having seen the footage, he has said there were a few possible causes:

• Main engine failure
  • Steering failure
  • Generator blackout
  • Possibility of pilot/human error

Yep, all the bases covered there. Thanks expert mate.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: buzby on March 26, 2024, 09:05:44 AMwho is gouing to pay for something with no appreciable benefit

Yeah I'm not sure if it's mainly a US thing but politicians don't seem to want to repair or reinforce existing infrastructure. Much better to build something new for a photo opportunity and let what's already there crumble.

Plus if we make sure the tenants are of light build and relatively sedentary and if the weather's on our side, I think we have a strong bridge here.

Buelligan

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 26, 2024, 10:37:39 AMPleased to see it's already on Wikipedia's List of bridge failures, alongside the 2023 Interstate 95 highway collapse in Philadelphia where a tanker caught fire after a crash, damaging an overpass and killing 1; and such notable events as the 2022 Morbi bridge collapse in India (135+ dead); and I'm sure we all remember the Ponte Morande in Genoa, 43 dead in 2018.

It's not too common for ships to cause serious damage to bridges, although sometimes a ship will try and go the wrong way with calamitous results. There was the Ulyanovsk railway bridge disaster in 1988 where a Russian cruise ship went through the wrong span for unclear reasons, causing 176 deaths, but the ship was OK. And a freighter hit the Tasman Bridge in Hobart, Australia in 1977, with 5 deaths - it was foggy and the ship's master allegedly not paying attention. The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway near New Orleans was hit in 1966 with 6 deaths and a bus fell in the lake.

There have been several other bridge collapses in the US this century; highway infrastructure is aging and in desperate need of massive repairs, as engineers will tell you constantly, although it's allegedly getting a bit better.

Distinct lack of British Pride in this post.  Lest we forget - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_Railway_Bridge#1960_accident

A BRIDGE HAS DIED.