Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:02:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Partridge - Big Beacon (New Book)

Started by Malcy, May 11, 2023, 05:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

The last time this happened I optimistically appeared a mere three hours early and no chance.  In-character Alan would be terrific but I'm not sure I would queue all day for it, although this time it does appear to be ticketed...

bgmnts

This drops tomorrow folks. Hope everyone is excited!

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Ferris on May 17, 2023, 11:51:34 PM^yes, similarly excited and appreciative of the Partridge audiobooks and Gibbons brothers input, but slightly puzzled by what is left to say about Alan (in any media format) from 1994 to present.

Something I'm surprised they haven't done, especially in this book era, is an in-universe fiction book as written by Partridge. An obvious self-insert Bond knockoff or a 'behind enemy lines' military squad thriller but with Alan's usual point scoring, extensive footnotes, odd turns of phrase and obsession with strange minutiae. Something new you could do with the Partridge brand, but which feels in-keeping. Would make for a good audiobook, too.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on October 11, 2023, 11:56:19 AMSomething I'm surprised they haven't done, especially in this book era, is an in-universe fiction book as written by Partridge. An obvious self-insert Bond knockoff or a 'behind enemy lines' military squad thriller but with Alan's usual point scoring, extensive footnotes, odd turns of phrase and obsession with strange minutiae. Something new you could do with the Partridge brand, but which feels in-keeping. Would make for a good audiobook, too.

This could work really well. With a tie-in script book with Alan's scribbled notes all over it ("Possibly get a stuntman for this bit" type thing, casting suggestions etc), and filmed behind the scenes making of, and actual film a la Blackbird (Alpha Papa half did it but that was Alan as Hero Alan rather than Alan as his own James Bond type character).

QDRPHNC

I have long lobbied for a 24 Hour Party People style behind the scenes doc on the making of Swallow.

bgmnts

Yeah won't lie I've longed for ages to see what Swallow or Flint would look like, as scripted by Alan.

Spudgun

A series of failed Partridge pilots could be great. They wouldn't necessarily need to all be as ambitious as Swallow - personally, I'd like to see how he'd handle a game show.

BritishHobo

They definitely seem to enjoy when they get to do it, like the thriller radio play he reads out on MMM. I also always love the Royal Wedding one where he reads out that weird fanfiction about William and Kate.

shoulders

Quote from: Spudgun on October 11, 2023, 06:19:57 PMA series of failed Partridge pilots could be great. They wouldn't necessarily need to all be as ambitious as Swallow - personally, I'd like to see how he'd handle a game show.

Seems like something that would make a handsome DVD extra than a thing in and of itself.

Spudgun

Quote from: shoulders on October 11, 2023, 06:32:20 PMSeems like something that would make a handsome DVD extra than a thing in and of itself.

I'd settle for that. The idea might even work better as 'unedited' raw studio footage that's been 'leaked', rather than polished final programmes. Whatever Partridge we get is fine by me, to be honest. 

bgmnts

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 11, 2023, 06:27:50 PMThey definitely seem to enjoy when they get to do it, like the thriller radio play he reads out on MMM. I also always love the Royal Wedding one where he reads out that weird fanfiction about William and Kate.

Indeed, and his two little novellas he writes in Oasthouse S2. Fiction within Partridge has legs.

kalowski

Chollis

does anyone as sad as me know if this might come out at 00:01 on the 12th or...

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Chollis on October 11, 2023, 08:29:25 PMdoes anyone as sad as me know if this might come out at 00:01 on the 12th or...

I noticed that Audible credits don't seem to reload at midnight on the day of the month they're supposed to appear so maybe Audible doesn't "do" midnights.

bgmnts

Regarding release time:

Quote from: AudibleGlobal pre-order releases are aligned with 12.00am Pacific Standard Time (US) on the day of release, which means your pre-order may not be available until 7pm AEST when converted to your local timezone. If it hasn't arrived by 7pm please get in touch by contacting us.

Snrub

Yeah when I've pre-ordered on Audible in the past it tend to appear about 8am

Mobius

can't wait to listen to this in the bath later

badaids

Ferris

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on October 11, 2023, 11:56:19 AMSomething I'm surprised they haven't done, especially in this book era, is an in-universe fiction book as written by Partridge. An obvious self-insert Bond knockoff or a 'behind enemy lines' military squad thriller but with Alan's usual point scoring, extensive footnotes, odd turns of phrase and obsession with strange minutiae. Something new you could do with the Partridge brand, but which feels in-keeping. Would make for a good audiobook, too.

In my defence, I'd completely misunderstood what the book was going to be - it seems to be mostly new (?) post-2020 Partridge lore, more or less.

I'd also love a series documenting the filming and production of Swallow (or Flint) but think it would take a hell of a lot of work to pull off and why do that when other formats like one-off doccos (Scissored Isle, for example) still have tons of mileage and are much easier to work in-fiction.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Snrub on October 11, 2023, 10:26:39 PMYeah when I've pre-ordered on Audible in the past it tend to appear about 8am

AKA California midnight

As for fake Partridge TV shows I could swear blind I remember hearing Armando on one of the commentaries suggest they considered making an episode of Skirmish, possibly as a bonus feature.

Milo

Mobius

Utter Shit

Only listened to the prologue so far and it's already great. Alan's depiction of
Spoiler alert
Seldom walking through people rather than around them at the fair and snarling at anyone he feels has disrespected him
[close]
did me in. These little characterisations are always spot on.

bgmnts

Reference to
Spoiler alert
his friendship with Grant Shapps
[close]
in the first 20 seconds will annoy some here I guess!

Mobius

His tortured over explanation of what a dual narrative is made me laugh a lot. Enjoying it so far! Only 30 minutes in

Glebe

QDRPHNC

Very frustrated over here, it's not available on the Canadian site, and the UK site will let me log in but says it isn't available to me. Piss.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 12, 2023, 05:02:47 PMVery frustrated over here, it's not available on the Canadian site, and the UK site will let me log in but says it isn't available to me. Piss.

VPN