Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:09:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Partridge - Big Beacon (New Book)

Started by Malcy, May 11, 2023, 05:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 12, 2023, 05:13:01 PMVPN

Does that work with Audible? I wanted to get an Aimee Mann Audible podcast but it's US-only and I couldn't get round it when I tried with VPN.

bgmnts

At chapter 10 now. Some big laughs, I do think he mid morning matters to Nomad period was peak partridge but it's still a bigger hit rate than anything I can think of.

Half the time even when the material is just fine, Coogan's performance just elevates to an absurd degree.

QDRPHNC

Tried it [VPN], don't work unfortunately. Tried following reddit's advice too and temporarily changing my billing address to the UK one, no luck there either.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 12, 2023, 11:20:47 AMOnly listened to the prologue so far and it's already great. Alan's depiction of
Spoiler alert
Seldom walking through people rather than around them at the fair and snarling at anyone he feels has disrespected him
[close]
did me in. These little characterisations are always spot on.

Loved the little callback to

Spoiler alert
DAN!
DAN!
DAN!
DAN!
DAN!
DAN!
[close]
shortly afterwards.

jamiefairlie

Do you have a .co.uk Amazon account? I gave one and vpn did work for me but not sure if that makes a difference

QDRPHNC

I do, will try that in a little bit, cheers.

Blue Jam

Spoiler alert
Ross Kemp said later he was pretty sure they were a haiku but he wasn't certain
[close]

Spoiler alert
as limp and redundant as the mistletoe in Rod Liddle's conservatory
[close]

This is the gift that keeps on giving.

elliszeroed

Bum. Bought this on iTunes thinking, like music, I could listen to it on non-Apple devices. Seems not.
Ugh.

Milo

Nice that they've put a bit of work into the physical book so it isn't just an audiobook.

He manages four chapters.

The index also features 'Oil of Olay (was Ulay)'.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: elliszeroed on October 12, 2023, 05:41:12 PMBum. Bought this on iTunes thinking, like music, I could listen to it on non-Apple devices. Seems not.
Ugh.

There'll be software which lets you convert it to regular mp3

Also if you get it from Audible it's easy to get it to another format

Just download the AAX file and convert it with this (.exe near the bottom of the page. It might get flagged as a virus but it's perfectly safe)

https://github.com/audiamus/AaxAudioConverter

iamcoop

Spoiler alert
Footnote:

Jumanji
[close]

Made me laugh a lot.

The books are a lot better than the podcasts aren't they?

They just seem better crafted and more considered.

Maybe that's just me.

elliszeroed

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on October 12, 2023, 05:46:22 PMThere'll be software which lets you convert it to regular mp3

Also if you get it from Audible it's easy to get it to another format

Just download the AAX file and convert it with this (.exe near the bottom of the page. It might get flagged as a virus but it's perfectly safe)

https://github.com/audiamus/AaxAudioConverter

Thank you very manies.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: bgmnts on October 12, 2023, 05:15:53 PMAt chapter 10 now. Some big laughs, I do think he mid morning matters to Nomad period was peak partridge but it's still a bigger hit rate than anything I can think of.

Half the time even when the material is just fine, Coogan's performance just elevates to an absurd degree.

Yeah very very much this, haven't heard this one yet but certainly on FTOH there were loads of lines that were quite funny but became absolutely hilarious just because of his intonation of particular words.

Mobius

if you got this on audible, there's an 'accompanying pdf' to look at in the app (and i assume the website if you are using that) click on the 3 dots and you should find it. just some funny pictures and words.

SteveDave

I had to stop listening to this in work as I was laughing out loud too hard. The chapter about him atoning for his "Chav" outburst was amazing.

bgmnts

Chapter 23:
Spoiler alert
lovely bit of classic Patridge legislation debate against a slightly less versed foe.
[close]

Blue Jam

Spoiler alert
"Under the chapters Focus, Mindset, Objectives, Get Real, Action Points, No Surrender, Edmonds, Marketing and Troubleshooting"
[close]

Blue Jam

Spoiler alert
Jellies very definitely did exist in 1793

*paging @buzby
[close]

bgmnts

Chapter 30

Spoiler alert
Joan Bakewell joke floored me.
[close]

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 12, 2023, 05:24:51 PMI do, will try that in a little bit, cheers.

Let me know if you figure this out. My VPN didn't work either.

iamcoop

Absolutely pissed myself at the comment about
Spoiler alert
Mick Hucknall's awful gold tooth
[close]

Once again, Coogan's delivery takes it to another level.

bgmnts

Epilogue/Epidog

Spoiler alert
Perfect character trajectory and summation. Love Alan's pettiness even when he comes out on top. Plus a lovely bit of bonus content afterwards!
[close]

bgmnts

Oh yeah a funny listen. Didn't reach the peak of I,Partridge or Nomad but I ended up laughing out loud in public so that's a sign of quality.

Definitely getting another listen as well.

pigamus

I haven't downloaded this from a certain place, I can't help you out if you PM me, alright cheers

Lemming

Only a short way in and already it's had more big laughs than Oasthouse 3. "You'd quickly realise why her agent called her Sandi Toxic."

The audiobook format is solid gold every time.

GentleJoshing

Spotify premium accounts now have access to audiobooks if anyone pays for that and isn't aware: https://open.spotify.com/show/1746Tinkj9h9sF4fazWeQg?si=ec5d808d23e348b1

pigamus

You only get a certain number of hours a month though, so choose carefully

her?

Quote from: GentleJoshing on October 14, 2023, 08:34:25 AMSpotify premium accounts now have access to audiobooks if anyone pays for that and isn't aware: https://open.spotify.com/show/1746Tinkj9h9sF4fazWeQg?si=ec5d808d23e348b1

Just noticed this! But have now read that many authors are cheesed off that their books are appearing on Spotify without their permission. I will still listen to it there though as I have no money or morals.