Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:13:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghosts (Series 5) and Christmas Special

Started by BritishHobo, October 04, 2023, 06:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

Quote from: studpuppet on October 30, 2023, 10:27:34 AMStarted listening to this on my commute. It's like having one of those eighties BBC comedy tie-in books (NTNON, Young Ones), but in sound. This is a GOOD thing.
Got about halfway in one sitting, and no Fanny gags, but the Captain's fitness regime ("BEAT THEM OFF!") and the name of the birds of prey company that Pat's troop get attacked by are very on the nose.

Edit: The more Robin speaks, the more he sounds like Adam Buxton's surly restaurant owner on 8 Out Of 10 cats.

Oof yeah this sounds just the ticket.

I dithered over which to purchase first, but ultimately used my October Audible credit on Big Beacon, so end of November I'll be picking this one up.

We were after a bit of comfort viewing earlier so blazed through Series 5 a second time. What a tremendous show. So many belly laughs and genuinely tender and touching moments. Outstanding character work from all but I think the Captain just pips it as my bestest ghost.

Blinder Data

did anyone else find the final episode underwhelming? for a sitcom that has had so many big heartstopping moments for the characters, it was odd that it petered out towards the end in such a low key way.

if the reveal of Julian's push happened at the start of the episode, the reconciliation would have had more effect. yer man with the text misunderstanding (which I worked out instantly) felt like a B plot for mid-series filler. it's also odd to begin the series with the pregnancy and not close it off with the baby being born!

I say this out of love, by the way. can't think of a better British sitcom of its type over the last ten years. such a brilliant series that deserved a big celebratory ending (the penultimate episode would've been better - dancing to achey breaky heart was a lovely moment).

I'm looking forward to rewatching the first Christmas special which is a classic. we've just had another baby so I expect to find it even more emotional this time round :'/

EDIT: I've just read there's going to be another Christmas special this year. I'm guessing that's when the baby will be born and everything tied up. hope the writers kept the powder dry for that one. still think they could've ended series five on a stronger note

Norton Canes

It does look like they're pretty much going to treat this Christmas special like a big 'Episode 7' finale.

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 07, 2023, 02:18:36 PMdid anyone else find the final episode underwhelming?

This series was really funny, but I do think their pacing is a bit off. The episodes are sometimes too short for the stakes, it feels a bit rushed. The jeopardy is always resolved too lightly. In this episode -

Spoiler alert
Alison feeling betrayed by them and deciding to leave
[close]

- would have made for a PERFECT cliffhanger, to be wrapped up in the Christmas special. But no, it's all sewn up in 28 minutes or whatever it is.

I often think that for a setup this good, with a character ensemble as complimentary and fun as these, they are a bit unambitious with the stories.

Also - yeah, I also saw through the entire text message plot from the very first second.

But how can you stay mad at a show as cuddly as this? I love Lolly Adefope (sp.?) Every line-reading is gold. And her faces. When she thought there was a balloon somewhere in the building... just pure joy.

And Ben Wilbond is adorable. I want to cuddle that man.

And Robin is great, although I also really like the chopped off head guy (my brain no function right now) and actually thought the storylines about his sad marriage in life were really touching. Poor dude just wanted to make his French arranged-wife happy but wine and nibbles wouldn't cut it.

Lovely show. Anybody watch their movie "Bill"? That was flipping brilliant too, such a shame it bombed

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on November 07, 2023, 02:58:09 PMThis series was really funny, but I do think their pacing is a bit off. The episodes are sometimes too short for the stakes, it feels a bit rushed. The jeopardy is always resolved too lightly. In this episode -

Spoiler alert
Alison feeling betrayed by them and deciding to leave
[close]

- would have made for a PERFECT cliffhanger, to be wrapped up in the Christmas special. But no, it's all sewn up in 28 minutes or whatever it is.

I often think that for a setup this good, with a character ensemble as complimentary and fun as these, they are a bit unambitious with the stories.

Also - yeah, I also saw through the entire text message plot from the very first second.

But how can you stay mad at a show as cuddly as this? I love Lolly Adefope (sp.?) Every line-reading is gold. And her faces. When she thought there was a balloon somewhere in the building... just pure joy.

And Ben Wilbond is adorable. I want to cuddle that man.

And Robin is great, although I also really like the chopped off head guy (my brain no function right now) and actually thought the storylines about his sad marriage in life were really touching. Poor dude just wanted to make his French arranged-wife happy but wine and nibbles wouldn't cut it.

Lovely show. Anybody watch their movie "Bill"? That was flipping brilliant too, such a shame it bombed

Bill is terrific. I'd love to see this team write more movies (other than Simon Farnaby and his work with Paul King).

ajsmith2

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 07, 2023, 02:18:36 PMyer man with the text misunderstanding (which I worked out instantly) felt like a B plot for mid-series filler.

Yeah, I got actively annoyed at that plot line given how little of the series is left by this point. Why are we wasting time with a supporting character no one cares about having an enormously tedious storyline that no one could be invested in when, even accounting for the Xmas special we have so few minutes left to spend with the main cast?

neveragain

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on November 07, 2023, 02:58:09 PMI often think that for a setup this good, with a character ensemble as complimentary and fun as these, they are a bit unambitious with the stories.

There are so many restrictions to what the characters can and can't do, including of course that they can never leave, that I find it a wonder they've managed five series and however many specials. (Also, I'm very glad they stuck to these rules and didn't do an Arnold Rimmer.)

Were you thinking of more flashbacks and that sort of thing? Perhaps there would have been room there...

Also - another agree that the texting sub-plot was poor. Soz.

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: neveragain on November 07, 2023, 05:06:47 PMThere are so many restrictions to what the characters can and can't do, including of course that they can never leave, that I find it a wonder they've managed five series and however many specials. (Also, I'm very glad they stuck to these rules and didn't do an Arnold Rimmer.)  Were you thinking of more flashbacks and that sort of thing? Perhaps there would have been room there...

I didn't word it too cleverly - I guess I meant that the emotional depths of the stories could bear some slightly more drawn out plots. It's a terrific sitcom, and obviously part of that art is getting everything sorted (with a bow on it) in 28 minutes every episode. But it has a slightly flattening effect where stories of complexity or emotional consequence get established and sorted with the same tempo as a goof story about them ...playing hide and seek or something. (Or this blooming mobile phone plot here for example!)

I actually think the series might have worked better if the various character's arcs and stories had been "through-plotted" throughout all six episodes, with the mysteries and emotions and relationship developments being teased out by degrees. So everybody's story moved on a little bit, in each ep, instead of each character getting their "story of the week." And the goofy B-plots could still provide a structuring "novelty of the week" aspect.

But maybe it's a taste thing. And I'm nitpicking. And you don't see me writing any treasured sitcoms* so I'll pipe down

*except Cheers I guess

(i did not write cheers)

:(

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on November 07, 2023, 04:45:43 PMBill is terrific. I'd love to see this team write more movies

They could just do "Bill" again and insist that people watch the flipping thing this time

jobotic

My son watches Ghosts with his mum. I only watch it occasionally if I'm in the room. Gonna suggest we all watch Bill now, which I admit I'd never heard of.

Vodkafone

Really enjoyed this, comedy character acting at its best.

It occurred to me that Julian and Alan B'stard would have been in the same government, can imagine they got up to all sorts together.

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: jobotic on November 07, 2023, 09:09:43 PMGonna suggest we all watch Bill now, which I admit I'd never heard of.

Apparently the distributor went bust after it was finished or something - ? - and it sank without a trace.

But, if your young'un enjoys "Ghosts", it's a lot of fun - a very rompy, goofy imagining of Shakespeare's younger days with lots and lots of very silly jokes and warm-hearted mugging for the camera.

Ben Willbond as King Phillip the 2nd of Spain is one of my favourite OTT performances for a long time. When he tries to slam his dagger menacingly into the table... just watch and enjoy :)

Icehaven

Quote from: ajsmith2 on November 07, 2023, 04:54:48 PMYeah, I got actively annoyed at that plot line given how little of the series is left by this point. Why are we wasting time with a supporting character no one cares about having an enormously tedious storyline that no one could be invested in when, even accounting for the Xmas special we have so few minutes left to spend with the main cast?

Agree. It just felt like they'd shoehorned in something for Mike to do that was nothing to do with the ghosts because he can't see them, but it was weak and obvious and had no business being in the (sort of) finale.

Norton Canes

I liked it. No, honest. It worked because his mate's gullible enough to believe it was genuinely a break-up. It's funny because he's a well-drawn character, so we know he's got it wrong. 

Jerzy Bondov

Bill is on the iPlayer at the moment for anyone looking for it

poloniusmonk

I thought it felt too much like one of those standard rubbish contrived sitcom misunderstandings that Ghosts has generally managed to avoid.

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: Icehaven on November 08, 2023, 10:03:18 AMIt just felt like they'd shoehorned in something for Mike to do

Chronically under-served character!

I still think they should contrive for him to be able to see the ghosts too. Or that Alison should make more of an effort at translation so Mike and them can have a deeper relationship!

Poor Mike. (Loved him in Stath too :)

Icehaven

Maybe Mike will die in the Xmas special and become a ghost, that'd solve the problem of him not being able to see them. They could make it so that the baby can see ghosts too so he could be a ghost d... actually never mind. 

Quote from: ajsmith2 on November 07, 2023, 04:54:48 PMYeah, I got actively annoyed at that plot line given how little of the series is left by this point. Why are we wasting time with a supporting character no one cares about having an enormously tedious storyline that no one could be invested in when, even accounting for the Xmas special we have so few minutes left to spend with the main cast?

yep!  No idea why they shoehorned that guy in - know he's been in other episodes but only ever as a plot point. 

Quote from: Vodkafone on November 07, 2023, 10:16:52 PMReally enjoyed this, comedy character acting at its best.

It occurred to me that Julian and Alan B'stard would have been in the same government, can imagine they got up to all sorts together.

I like to think that Alan B'Stard might have been one of the other participants in Julian's, ahem, Moon landing.

SteveDave

We've just watched the first episode when the pregnancy was revealed, I said what if the baby dies and then Alison goes mad because she can hear it crying but can never hold it again? There's your fucking Christmas special.

selectivememory

Quote from: SteveDave on November 08, 2023, 10:59:32 PMWe've just watched the first episode when the pregnancy was revealed, I said what if the baby dies and then Alison goes mad because she can hear it crying but can never hold it again? There's your fucking Christmas special.

lmao, I know that would be extremely unpopular, but now I need this to be how it ends.

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: SteveDave on November 08, 2023, 10:59:32 PMWe've just watched the first episode when the pregnancy was revealed, I said what if the baby dies and then Alison goes mad because she can hear it crying but can never hold it again? There's your fucking Christmas special.

So she kills herself to be with the baby but the baby gets sucked er - up, and Alison is left trapped alone as a ghost.

But it's a happy ending because everything works out great for Thomas. Until Mike kills himself too - awkwaaaaard!

Could this be the most hated episode of television ever made?

Norton Canes

Can't babies see the ghosts anyway? Sure the baby in the first Christmas special could see or at least hear them.

neveragain

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on November 09, 2023, 08:25:59 AMSo she kills herself to be with the baby but the baby gets sucked er - up, and Alison is left trapped alone as a ghost.

But it's a happy ending because everything works out great for Thomas. Until Mike kills himself too - awkwaaaaard!

Could this be the most hated episode of television ever made?

Haha, I love the carnage of this. I can just picture Pat's "Ooh, bit much!" face.

Blinder Data

my prediction is Mike has a near death experience and briefly sees the ghosts for the first time. lots of hugging and learning as he realises how to be a dad

SteveDave

Taking this away from cot death for a moment, the first episode of this series was amazing. How Jim Howick kept a straight face for his "You're there mate" bit I don't know.

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: SteveDave on November 09, 2023, 03:08:53 PMTaking this away from cot death for a moment

Eesh, if you have to go and put it that way I feel bad for the joke :(

Sorry folks, guess I'm not cut out for a career as a shock-jock

SteveDave

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on November 09, 2023, 03:28:00 PMEesh, if you have to go and put it that way I feel bad for the joke :(

Sorry folks, guess I'm not cut out for a career as a shock-jock

Were you thinking more of a comedic baby death? Mike accidentally puts it in the washing machine? He's carrying it up the stairs and it falls out of his hands like the teddy? Tim Roth eats it?

markburgle

Quote from: SteveDave on November 09, 2023, 03:08:53 PMTaking this away from cot death for a moment, the first episode of this series was amazing. How Jim Howick kept a straight face for his "You're there mate" bit I don't know.

Not that it explains anything but it's a Dead Man's Shoes ref, I'm guessing?

https://youtu.be/58ylrJ0cH2w?si=dZzgjflWS6nUgq9O&t=164

Although I don't if that film coined "You're there mate"/points-at-palm or if it was an existing part of the threat-lexicon