Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:21:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Israel and British comedy

Started by lauraxsynthesis, November 10, 2023, 08:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Saw a stand up about 20 years. He was talking about his flat and said "I think the previous tenant was Israeli as I keep getting letters addressed to 'The Occupier'" - a comedic earworm I've thought about every time I've seen a similarly addressed letter since.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 11, 2023, 12:38:46 AMI've checked up on a few British comics who are at least somewhat political and have been disappointed to see that, instead of addressing it at all, they're leaning entirely into whimsical self-promotion. Even Stewart Lee; four Guardian articles since October 7th, nothing: https://www.theguardian.com/profile/stewart-lee
Established his position fairly firmly in the Corbyn era as unwilling to go near anything genuinely contentious. Bit shocking he's still doing those guardian articles at this stage though, does anyone like them?!

Chappelle backed off after that one gig, didn't he? Knowing what he's like he probably will blow up about it at some point again though, it'd be very disappointing if he didn't tbh

phantom_power

I think you have to be pretty good to make mass slaughter of children and innocent civilians funny so I can see why most comedians might give it a swerve. Not to mention the onslaught of false anti-Semitism claims the would open themselves up to. I know they should be brave heroes of what is right and good but I can't really blame them for saying fuck that for a game of ludo

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: phantom_power on November 27, 2023, 10:00:25 AMI think you have to be pretty good to make mass slaughter of children and innocent civilians funny so I can see why most comedians might give it a swerve. Not to mention the onslaught of false anti-Semitism claims the would open themselves up to. I know they should be brave heroes of what is right and good but I can't really blame them for saying fuck that for a game of ludo

The actual situation in Palestine, all the history and tainted language and bad-faith arguments, is probably too complicated for anything other than either bigoted comedy or the worst liberal bothsidesism. Although there's still scope for attacking the hypocrisies of the media and politicians, like Boris going on the anti-semitism march given his history of funny racisms, or Sinn Fein going from complaining about the Cranberries' song Zombie being insufficiently pro-killing-children to suddenly taking a moral stance on Israel. Comedy gold there.

Stewart Lee's column meanwhile has long ago turned from a parody of terrible newspaper columnists (i.e. all of them) into just another terrible newspaper column. Still, I'm sure it keeps his children fed.

Kankurette

Quote from: phantom_power on November 27, 2023, 10:00:25 AMI think you have to be pretty good to make mass slaughter of children and innocent civilians funny so I can see why most comedians might give it a swerve. Not to mention the onslaught of false anti-Semitism claims the would open themselves up to. I know they should be brave heroes of what is right and good but I can't really blame them for saying fuck that for a game of ludo
Yeah, it's...pretty hard to joke about and only a Palestinian could get away with that level of black humour.

lauraxsynthesis

Last year I saw a fella at Andrew O'Neill's comedy club. I can't seem to find his name anywhere. He started out getting the audience to throw grapes which he caught in his mouth and he also did some Spanish guitar stuff. When he finally spoke, one of the first things he said was, "I'm Palestinian! I'm not anti-semitic."

lauraxsynthesis

I don't know if I can be arsed to watch the Stephen Fry Alternative Message on Channel 4 if it is just standard Zionist erasure of the Palestinians and pushing of that bollocks Baddiel thesis that we all tolerate antisemitism now.

I loved Alexei's message tonight though. Properly funny. https://x.com/skwawkbox/status/1739345241700987384?s=20

Red82

Fry's message as described there sounds horrendous.  I'd  probably actually rather watch the Kings Speech than that.  Although Fry is actually friends with the King so take your pick! The Conservative voice of the establishment or the Liberal one.

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on November 25, 2023, 03:30:44 PMthis week's Minnie the Minx was a decently even-handed take on the appalling situation.

Really!? Or is this cheeky Mister Six-fooling shenanigans?

tribalfusion

So I've seen some comedians in the US recently touching on Palestine and Israel (some but not all of Palestinian descent).

Has anyone one else in British comedy been dealing with the topic of late?

lardboy

Quote from: Dusty Substance on November 27, 2023, 01:52:58 AMSaw a stand up about 20 years. He was talking about his flat and said "I think the previous tenant was Israeli as I keep getting letters addressed to 'The Occupier'" - a comedic earworm I've thought about every time I've seen a similarly addressed letter since.

I think it was Gary Delaney.  He certainly used the joke "I used to annoy my Israeli flatmate by giving him every letter addressed to The Occupier."

Yup, opening joke of this clip:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir3fFBveG_E

Eukrate

Quote from: KennyMonster on November 11, 2023, 01:52:36 PMWas this the guy I saw doing the warm ups at a Taskmaster recording recently?

Northern Irish/Italian?

If its who I'm thinking of then his roots might mean he's got a better insight than a lot of us.
(although he's probably disgustingly young- -didn't live through the worst of the troubles but grew up knowing many who did).
That's him. First time I've seen him mentioned on this site which is strange given how big "Have a Word" has become and his career got a big boost because of it.

He's got an excellent special up on Youtube as well.

GoblinAhFuckScary

remember what we do in the shadows dropping a wee little israel-palestine joke. british actors, but american writer though i think

NoSleep

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on January 29, 2024, 11:02:24 AMremember what we do in the shadows dropping a wee little israel-palestine joke. british actors, but american writer though i think

New Zealand writers, I think, at least the creators are NZers (including Taika Waititi who is both Maori and Jewish). All the actors are NZers in the film (and situated in NZ) but a mix of American and British in the TV series (situated in US).

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: NoSleep on January 30, 2024, 10:00:41 PMNew Zealand writers, I think, at least the creators are NZers (including Taika Waititi who is both Maori and Jewish). All the actors are NZers in the film (and situated in NZ) but a mix of American and British in the TV series (situated in US).

i believe the writer for that episode was Shana Gohd, who appears to at least live and work in the states

NoSleep

I wasn't sure whether you were talking about the film or the TV series, but yeah, two of the producers wrote that one (also Max Brockman). Doesn't look like the creators of the series have much to do with it anymore (too busy making films about Hitler Youth kids whose imaginary friend is Adolf Hitler).

Quote from: NoSleep on January 31, 2024, 01:06:12 PMI wasn't sure whether you were talking about the film or the TV series, but yeah, two of the producers wrote that one (also Max Brockman). Doesn't look like the creators of the series have much to do with it anymore (too busy making films about Hitler Youth kids whose imaginary friend is Adolf Hitler).

Oh, thank you. I was putting off seeing Hunt For The Wilderpeople before but your description has piqued my interest.

NoSleep

Quote from: PaoloTramezzani on January 31, 2024, 02:38:07 PMOh, thank you. I was putting off seeing Hunt For The Wilderpeople before but your description has piqued my interest.

That's Jojo Rabbit I'm referencing, which I've also not seen as yet (but has been recommended to me).

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: NoSleep on January 31, 2024, 01:06:12 PM(too busy making films about Hitler Youth kids whose imaginary friend is Adolf Hitler).

a worthy cause

phantom_power

I am sure I am missing something brilliant here but the film is a lot more than that description suggests

And which is worse, Nazis or vampires?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: phantom_power on February 01, 2024, 10:49:08 AMI am sure I am missing something brilliant here but the film is a lot more than that description suggests

And which is worse, Nazis or vampires?

NoSleep

Quote from: phantom_power on February 01, 2024, 10:49:08 AMI am sure I am missing something brilliant here but the film is a lot more than that description suggests

Not the most descriptive of pitches, true. I've not seen it yet but it's on my todo list..

Armin Meiwes

I thought JJR was a bit shit really but Hunt for the Wilderpeople is great!

NoSleep

Quote from: phantom_power on February 01, 2024, 10:49:08 AMAnd which is worse, Nazis or vampires?

Although he did describe Hitler as a "preening little fool" and had his own ideas on who the master race were.

lauraxsynthesis

Edgington!! I'd forgotten him. A middling show but a great character.

NoSleep

It had its moments, and some British actors, so we're almost back on topic.

Jumblegraws

The past series of The Skewer has some pretty pointed sketches about Israel. A couple of examples (via timestamped Spotify links):
Uncle Jimbo and Israeli self-defence
Time Team exploring Al-Shifa Hospital

Mr Banlon

There was an episode from the original run of Spitting Image in the mid-80s with a sketch where they were talking about a country with worst human-rights abuses in the World. The insinuation was they were talking about the (then) South African apartheid government. The 'switcheroo' at the end was that they were actually talking about Israel.

Zetetic

I wonder if the two Johns (Bird and Fortune) ever did anything in that vein. Citing Israeli government policy straight seems like it would very much have been their wheelhouse.

Pimhole

Quote from: phantom_power on February 01, 2024, 10:49:08 AMAnd which is worse, Nazis or vampires?

(sorry, not British but I couldn't not post it)