Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:08:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Critic turns 30

Started by madhair60, January 26, 2024, 12:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Al Jean and Mike Reiss' confused, multi-failed animated sitcom turns 30 today. Do you like The Critic, or do you believe it to be derivative and lacking in likeable characters, despite having some very funny jokes?

ASFTSN

I have watched the whole thing (as a result of the Simpsons crossover ep OBVIOUSLY) and cannot remember a single thing about it.

GoblinAhFuckScary

oh there's some bangers, but what a slog to get through

madhair60

it's an incredibly cynical show with hindsight, with the forced catchphrases and the retooling.

GoblinAhFuckScary

i liked the weird dad. even if it was peak lolsorandom humour at times

Thursday

Long time since I watched, but I think it has that "funny but soulless" feel of Season 9 and 10 of the Simpsons.

Petey Pate

Honestly felt more sympathetic towards Matt Groening demanding that his name be taken off the The Simpsons crossover episode after I watched a few episodes of The Critic.

Structurally it's more similar to Family Guy than The Simpsons, though Family Guy generally has a higher batting average when it comes to jokes.

Interesting the character designs were originally influenced by Ronald Searle and UPA (former Simpsons director and now Disney bigwig Rich Moore was the main art director), but Gracie Films preferred the somewhat ugly style that was eventually chosen.

Jon Lovitz can be hilarious in supporting roles (in otherwise pretty rotten comedy films like Rat Race or The Stepford Wives remake his appearances are easily among the highlights) but I don't think he's well suited to play the lead character in anything.

When guy from The Critic appeared on The Simpsons, I assumed he was a real man. Like when they have a celeb guest who's famous in America but not the UK. It was a minor fuck-my-hat moment when I learned the truth.

neveragain

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 26, 2024, 01:46:46 PMit stinks!

I was going to say this too, although I seem to be the only person here who actually likes it. It's incredibly funny, even if it "lacks heart". It probably has more heart than Family Guy.

madhair60

Old Nehamkin

Never really found it funny. Like others have said it does feel like a precursor to Family Guy with that same sort of preoccupation with making loads of very specific, meticulous pop-culture references without there necessarily being any especially good or interesting joke underneath. Although as also said above, Family Guy probably did always have a higher hit-rate, definitely so in its first few seasons.

I always thought Matt Groening got a bit of a hard time over that Simpsons episode. His stated concern about the precedent being set by Fox pushing a crossover on them to promote another show is something that doesn't really seem that unreasonable to me, even if Brooks, Jean and Reiss were on-board with the idea and even if Groening has obviously since signed off on an enormous amount of crap Simpsons things.

ProvanFan

I vaguely remember a Lorenzo's Oil parody.

Therefore, I love it.

checkoutgirl

It's not too hard being a film cricket.

Oh, Nobody

It's a great watch with the dvd commentaries on.

dontpaintyourteeth

I didn't even know it was a crossover until the dvds came out, I am very smart.

Mister Six

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on January 26, 2024, 01:14:06 PMi liked the weird dad. even if it was peak lolsorandom humour at times

The lolrandom dad had one really funny joke in the pilot, about peanuts, and after that was just a bit tedious.

Everything else I remember about The Critic comes from that one Simpsons episode.

Catalogue Trousers

Oh, I dunno. I find the central character himself surprisingly sympathetic. There's an oddly touching quality to him. He's flawed, but not irredeemable.

Also, for giving us Schwarzenegger as Rabbi P.I. and 'And nothing of value was lost!', I find it hard to dislike this show completely. It gave me a few good belly-laughs at least.

darby o chill

Quote from: madhair60 on January 26, 2024, 12:52:07 PMDo you like The Critic, or do you believe it to be derivative and lacking in likeable characters, despite having some very funny jokes?

Love The Critic! Lovitz is perfect. Derivative of what?

Also:

madhair60

Quote from: darby o chill on January 29, 2024, 11:48:25 PMLove The Critic! Lovitz is perfect. Derivative of what?

well, The Simpsons

darby o chill

How is it similar to The Simpsons? They have nothing in common.
Here's what I think of your stupid opinion:

Spoiler alert
[close]

madhair60

it is very clearly reminiscent of The Simpsons in joke structure, timing etc, specifically of seasons 3 and 4 which were run by the same creators. perhaps derivative is the wrong word. it's certainly familiar.

neveragain

It's the forgotten bridge between Simpsons and Family Guy. They took the cut-away aspect already present unobtrusively in Simps and ramped it up, without being as reckless or scattershot as FG.

darby o chill

Quote from: madhair60 on January 30, 2024, 01:38:30 PMit is very clearly reminiscent of The Simpsons in joke structure, timing etc
Nonsense.

Quote from: madhair60 on January 30, 2024, 01:38:30 PMperhaps derivative is the wrong word.

Spoiler alert
[close]

Thursday

It's very obviously very similar to the Simpsons.

madhair60

it very obviously isn't nonsense

Video Game Fan 2000

looking back it feels like a dry run for Futurama and as such its got a lot of the meanness/chauvinism/pettiness that dogged Futurama until the second season

its OK but my verdict is: look how much less funny the Orson Welles ad parodies are to the one from Pinky and the Brain

darby o chill

Quote from: Thursday on January 30, 2024, 07:03:15 PMIt's very obviously very similar to the Simpsons.
No it isn't

Quote from: madhair60 on January 30, 2024, 07:27:21 PMit very obviously isn't nonsense
Yes it is

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 30, 2024, 07:29:10 PMlooking back it feels like a dry run for Futurama and as such its got a lot of the meanness/chauvinism/pettiness that dogged Futurama until the second season
Nonsense

Spoiler alert
[close]

Thursday

Yes it is times infinity +1!

Old Nehamkin

The critic is roughly equal in quality with the dilbert cartoon. Make of that what you will.