Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:11:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sitcoms That Have Their Groove From The Get Go

Started by TheMonk, February 01, 2024, 11:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ros vulgaris

The pilot of Fawlty Towers has my favourite Fawlty Towers moment. The part where he's shouting BASTARD at Melbury, and Sybil suddenly appears beside him looking shellshocked rather than apathetic towards him.

ros vulgaris

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 01, 2024, 01:27:03 PMSteptoe & Son

A lot of the early episodes are ridiculously well written. They're like Harold Pinter plays with laughs.

Terry Torpid

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 01, 2024, 01:12:16 PMIt is, but the last episode of the series (where they think Jack has died) is the pilot. The set and makeup is a little different.

I didn't know that. I would have guessed that The Passion of St Tibulus was the first, only because Fr Hernandez clumsily namedrops Craggy Island and introduces the other characters. The opening feels like it's meant to be the very first scene of the series.

I second the Steptoe recommendation. I've been rewatching them from the start recently, and it's solid gold straight away.

Cuellar

Quote from: trabuch on February 01, 2024, 11:56:54 PMThis Country

💯

First episode includes maybe my favourite Kurtan line on the whole show:

Vicar - You're this close to not being in the competition at all.

Kurtan - Yeah, and you're this close to me dropping you right now, son.

ros vulgaris

Everyone comes together on days like scarecrow festival and just forgets their utter hatred of each other.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Cuellar on February 02, 2024, 10:44:26 PM💯

First episode includes maybe my favourite Kurtan line on the whole show:

Vicar - You're this close to not being in the competition at all.

Kurtan - Yeah, and you're this close to me dropping you right now, son.

I'm sure I could find a funnier and less vulgar one, but my favourite Kurtan line is there too -

"I don't give a fuck, Ker, because, vegetable competition coming up.  I've got a broad bean that's the length of a scarf rolled out on the floor, and I've got a lettuce, yeah, that's gonna fuck this competition up the ass."

It's such an encapsulation of his competitiveness, obsession and youthful vulgarity, and it takes you by surprise right at the end.