Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:22:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Craig Ferguson-type comedy

Started by seamusharper, February 16, 2024, 07:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seamusharper

Hi everyone,

Completely new to comedy and I'm starting a series of improv classes next week and ultimately aspire to do this at least part time.

Of all the comedians I've watched, Craig Ferguson is the one I admire the most. He has the perfect combination of wit, charm, humor, self-deprecation, and overtly sexual banter. It's a comedic style I haven't really seen elsewhere and he's incredible at getting people to really get comfortable with him and he can carry on a conversation about anything and make it a great time.

For those of you experienced in comedy, how would I work to cultivate this? Is it just a matter of keeping certain things in mind or are there certain resources I can seek to better understand what is going on?

I'm assuming, on some level, it's more than just comedy, it's a study of communication and behavior but if we're approaching this from a comedic stand point, I was wondering how to best proceed as I'm just starting out.

MrMealDeal

YouTube keeps feeding me Craig Ferguson videos so I went on a bit of a Late Late Show binge a few weeks ago. I should preface this by saying that I like his shtick but my take would be that he's got a huge amount of charisma and a reasonably quick wit which makes up for the fact that a lot of what he did on the LLS was innuendo and dick jokes. He's also a decent conversationalist who listens to what the guest is saying and seems genuinely interested, which makes the guest feel comfortable. Kind of the opposite of some of Richard Herring's interviews on RHLSTP.

That said, there's also an obvious power imbalance, with the female guests having to play along to promote their product even if they didn't really want to (although there were a few guests who kept on appearing seemingly just for a chat, which speaks well of Ferguson). From the interviews I watched, about two thirds of the guests were happy to flirt, but there were a few where the guest seemed a bit uncomfortable or was rolling their eyes. Which is to say that I don't think you could get away with that sort of comedy in a club except on a boozy Friday or Saturday night. Tastes have changed and someone who seemed to be a charismatic flirt in 2010 might be someone you warn your friends about in 2024.

Can you learn that kind of charisma? You could do classes in body language and communication perhaps but my guess would be that you either have it or you don't. Lucky you if you do. My suggestion would be to try writing jokes and performing and find out what works for you. You can start off trying to emulate Ferguson and see how it goes down in 2024 ...

Famous Mortimer

Agree with MrMealDeal above. Craig Ferguson, when he was doing open mics and suchlike at the beginning of his career, probably didn't behave like that. And, as a regular watcher during almost all his time on CBS, there were plenty of women who didn't exactly seem delighted at having him ogle them at tedious length when they were there to promote their latest movie or whatever. If you're going to take any inspiration from Ferguson, go for his monologues, which were definitely my favourite part of the show.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 16, 2024, 08:09:28 PMCraig Ferguson, when he was doing open mics and suchlike at the beginning of his career, probably didn't behave like that

If only he had kept his old persona... I would have been tuning in every single night for The Late Late Show With Bing Hitler

Brundle-Fly

I thought this was great. Quite ahead of the curve.

Urinal Cake

Yeah echo what's been said above. Craig Ferguson really found his stride as a talkshow host though it seems he ultimately didn't find it enjoyable. Craig has charm (or rizz), quick wit but is actually well-read and 'smart.' From memory Craig didn't seem to step over the line being sleazy but as said above a lot of female guests probably felt they gave to 'play the game's and Craig often lampshades his more questionable comments.

I do remember when he had a female guest and being a 'rizz master's and then he asked her what her favourite book was and she replied (I think) The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Then you just saw him lose all interest in her. The man has standards!

More to your point I think, Craig shares a similarity with old school Dave Allen

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If you're asking for tips on how to flirt, you're in the wrong place.

jamiefairlie

Liked Bing Hitler at the time (especially his wasp hatred) and was somewhat flabbergasted when he suddenly showed up as a sauce successful American TV chat show host.

I liked when Scottish guests took the pish out of his mid-adlandig accent and he got a bit annoyed when asked why everyone called him Cregg.

seamusharper

Thank you all for the detailed replies!

As many of you all have eluded to, I suppose his persona predominantly comes from his charisma which allowed him to get away with otherwise questionable remarks. I don't think I have that level of charisma so I suppose that's not something I can cultivate. I do understand that a lot of his "flavor" of comedy would not necessarily work today.

In terms of being witty and quick, is that something that can be worked on through improv classes?

Proactive

My instinct based on everyone I've ever met in my life is that you can't learn to be funny or charismatic any more than you can learn to be taller, probably more so than anything similar like learning to be a competent musician, painter etc. Your mind either works in that way or it doesn't. The technical aspects of stage craft are a different matter, so for example it doesn't necessarily follow that a funny person will be good in front of a crowd, but through practice and observation you can certainly improve that part of it even if your material is poor.

With comedy I think that although we're all going to be influenced by our favourite performers, what you really need to do is work out what kind of person you are/where your humour comes from, and hone that as much as possible. There are plenty of stand ups out there who's stock in trade is that they're socially awkward, miserable, weird etc. Not saying you necessarily fit any of those profiles but you know what I mean.

If you haven't already I'd recommend listening to comedy podcasts like the comedians comedian, for example, where comics will often talk about their early experiences and how they "found their voice". In fact, there's a good bit in the most recent Rob Brydon podcast where Tim Key talks about that.

Proactive

Just a further thought on this, look at Jimmy Carr for an example of someone who, through meticulous study and practice of the form, intricately understands the formula for writing gags and delivers it so professionally that he's made a fortune, but there's just no warmth or natural charisma there. Comedy as a business plan. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't really imagine having an everyday conversation with him that resulted in him saying something spontaneously funny, whereas plenty of my friends can make me piss myself with something completely instinctive and perfectly timed in the moment.

damien

His second-hand albums are surprisingly expensive on eBay.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: damien on February 17, 2024, 02:31:47 PMHis second-hand albums are surprisingly expensive on eBay.

I'm away for the weekend but if anyone wants these bump this thread on Monday and I'll upload them.

LordMorgan

I have alepays liked him , and that 2007 video posted reminds me why

Cracking fella
Doesn't do any harm that he's a so handsome either

But he just seems an all round good egg
And he is very funny

"Sorry, I seem to have knocked over your bottle of emabalming fluid" a great line from one foot in the grave to victor

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

seamusharper

Quote from: Proactive on February 17, 2024, 11:42:24 AMMy instinct based on everyone I've ever met in my life is that you can't learn to be funny or charismatic any more than you can learn to be taller, probably more so than anything similar like learning to be a competent musician, painter etc. Your mind either works in that way or it doesn't. The technical aspects of stage craft are a different matter, so for example it doesn't necessarily follow that a funny person will be good in front of a crowd, but through practice and observation you can certainly improve that part of it even if your material is poor.

With comedy I think that although we're all going to be influenced by our favourite performers, what you really need to do is work out what kind of person you are/where your humour comes from, and hone that as much as possible. There are plenty of stand ups out there who's stock in trade is that they're socially awkward, miserable, weird etc. Not saying you necessarily fit any of those profiles but you know what I mean.

If you haven't already I'd recommend listening to comedy podcasts like the comedians comedian, for example, where comics will often talk about their early experiences and how they "found their voice". In fact, there's a good bit in the most recent Rob Brydon podcast where Tim Key talks about that.

I think I definitely jumped the gun with respect to comedy style and trying to emulate others. I'm going to shift my focus on finding my own style of humor and cultivating that. I'll definitely check out the podcast!

JesusAndYourBush

In the late 80s I heard a Bing Hitler bootleg and the tape was so many generations that the hiss was more of a rumble.  I'd love to hear that again if there are any copies knocking about.

Maurice Yeatman

I have vague memories of a Bing Hitler rip-off act so desperate that at one stage he resorted to card tricks.

Goldentony

good moment on one Sadowitz bootleg where he asks the audience for stand up comedians or just any comedians to give his opinion on, goes well until someone shouts Craig Ferguson and he shouts in reply WHO THE FUCK SHOUTED CRAIG FERGUSON and I think throws a towel at the person

mippy

Quote from: Proactive on February 17, 2024, 12:59:46 PMJust a further thought on this, look at Jimmy Carr for an example of someone who, through meticulous study and practice of the form, intricately understands the formula for writing gags and delivers it so professionally that he's made a fortune, but there's just no warmth or natural charisma there. Comedy as a business plan. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't really imagine having an everyday conversation with him that resulted in him saying something spontaneously funny, whereas plenty of my friends can make me piss myself with something completely instinctive and perfectly timed in the moment.

There's a novel called The Children of Dynmouth with a main character who wants to be a comedian when he grows up, but fundamentally doesn't understand why what he is saying is meant to be funny even though he is practised enough to get a laugh out of all his relatives, and Jimmy James Carr reminds me a lot of that.

mippy

Quote from: seamusharper on February 19, 2024, 12:23:21 AMI think I definitely jumped the gun with respect to comedy style and trying to emulate others. I'm going to shift my focus on finding my own style of humor and cultivating that. I'll definitely check out the podcast!

I guess what you need to bear in mind is why do you think you're funny - what is it that you're doing that makes yourself or others amused? What's motivating you to feel this is something you want to do?

mippy

Quote from: mippy on February 19, 2024, 03:40:58 PMThere's a novel called The Children of Dynmouth with a main character who wants to be a comedian when he grows up, but fundamentally doesn't understand why what he is saying is meant to be funny even though he is practised enough to get a laugh out of all his relatives, and will keep telling the same jokes again and again and again, and Jimmy James Carr reminds me a lot of that.

Gurke and Hare

Bing Hitler album, two Craig Ferguson albums

I saw him supporting Harry Enfield on the Stavros and Loadsamoney tour but the ticket had "Graig Ferguson" printed on it.

JesusAndYourBush