Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:07:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Atlanta s1 episode 7: B.A.N.: Is it fucking horrible?

Started by lazyhour, February 19, 2024, 07:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

Just watched this on Disney+ for the first time since it aired 7 years ago. It's the fake 'Black American Network' talk show that's about trans issues, and a black man who - chortle! - is transitioning into "a white 35 year old from Colorado".

Has anyone seen it recently?

I really didn't enjoy it or its (laboured) 'point'/punchline but it seems universally praised online. I wonder if it would be as praised if it aired for the first time today, as to my 2024 brain it seemed wildly transphobic and misguided. I suppose *if I squint* it's trying to criticise black culture's lack of acceptance of otherness, but it doesn't make it remotely clear who we're supposed to be rooting for, which is pretty essential with issues like this.

I just want to know I'm not going mad or being an awful oversensitive snowflake.

Can someone please watch it (it's only like 22 minutes) and weigh in?

Help an attack helicopter out!

neveragain

I watched it recently, funnily enough. I didn't agree with the direction most of the jokes (in the in-show segments) were going but think the episode mostly gained plaudits for its structure, which is very well done to be fair.

The transitioning from black to white stuff was quite desolate really.

lazyhour

Thanks for the reply.

Seems weird to praise the structure of something if its content is as unpleasant as this!

neveragain

Well, I liked the advert parodies but yeah the main gist of the episode isn't great. Which is a shame.

For added context, I've only ever dipped into Atlanta and watched the episodes that sounded interesting (and were the most anthology-like). They've generally impressed me, particularly Teddy Perkins and the Goofy documentary.

Memorex MP3

On the whole I like Atlanta a lot, but it's a show where a lot of its most high concept episodes somehow feel like the least adventurous episodes. Could usually rely on people raving about how bold a new episode was as a signifier I would be bored.

Due a rewatch, mind; has been ages.