Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:48:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mr Biffo / Digitiser2000 recent work

Started by Mobbd, February 22, 2021, 12:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thosworth

Annoying that this is on a completely new channel. I had no idea this existed. As someone with loads of subscriptions to loads of channels, I am very simple; I see blue dot, I watch new movie. And this new Digi channel has not been mentioned on the old one (although going to the Digi YT homepage I do see references, but who ever does that?)

I guess if you are into Digi you will be aware of their goings on via other platforms, but as a filthy casual I would never have even known this had come out.

madhair60

i just don't understand why it needs to be an hour long. just cut it to the best 20-30 minutes, lose the meandering.

i'm genuinely tempted to do a fan edit.

Mobbd

Just started watching it. I like the set. Looks like Red Dwarf.

The camera's a bit low down. Good for perverts who want to look up Biffo's CONK.

Spudgun

I watched this last night and laughed quite a few times. Biffo and Gannon are obviously great together and spur each other on to increasing levels of immaturity and idiocy, nice to see Sanja involved this time with her fantastic gun-cocking skills, the 'ads' and musical interludes kept catching me off-guard, and the guests in general were all good. Glad that Beanus came up with another game show format. Bit miffed that Sooz basically killed the debate by insinuating sexism, but that was my only minor disappointment.

As for the whole aesthetic of the show (for want of a less pretentious word), they've absolutely nailed it this time. The set felt to me like a cross between the second series of GamesMaster (my favourite one) and the back room of Starbug, and all the Teletext-style graphics are absolutely pitch-perfect. I never understood why they had actors in the first series playing certain characters as live-action rather than just voicing them over pixel animations, but that's now been corrected to great effect, to the point that I want more. Although The Rapping Shoe was rather more competent than I ever imagined.

Excellent start, looking forward to how the rest of the series pans out.

Bently Sheds

I really enjoyed it, despite not being a massive fan of either of the Cheapshow blokes. Maybe it could have been a bit tighter/shorter and it suffered from a few weird camera angles, but on the whole it was great.

With the Teletext characters it had more of the feel of the original Digitiser, but still had elements of the previous series and the Found Footage series he did.

mippy

Feel like I'm one of the few people here who actually quite likes Ashens. It scratches the itch I have to acquire useless vintage tat, and he doesn't do the annoying mouth gape thumbnail thing that seems to be de rigeur on the YouTube these days. He's no Dankpods, but then who is?

Barry Admin

Ashens is in this? Then I will skip it and spend more time watching Steve1989MREInfo eating decades old military rations instead.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 23, 2024, 02:54:26 PMAshens is in this? Then I will skip it and spend more time watching Steve1989MREInfo eating decades old military rations instead.

Was doing exactly this recently. That one from the Boer War, man...

GMTV

Quote from: mippy on January 23, 2024, 01:44:22 PMFeel like I'm one of the few people here who actually quite likes Ashens. It scratches the itch I have to acquire useless vintage tat, and he doesn't do the annoying mouth gape thumbnail thing that seems to be de rigeur on the YouTube these days. He's no Dankpods, but then who is?

I really liked Ashens way back in the day. First person I saw on YouTube delving into vintage electronic tat, obscure games etc. Long since had enough of his shtick, but for a time he was The Man on YouTube.

Video Game Fan 2000

ashens doing hong kong origin consoles and the quickest game overs was great back in the day

thr0b

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 23, 2024, 02:54:26 PMAshens is in this? Then I will skip it and spend more time watching Steve1989MREInfo eating decades old military rations instead.

You will also like Post10 and New England Wildlife And More. Two channels, one person. In the first - he camps in odd places (abandoned hotels, wells, a rickety old broken down van he had turned into a cabin literally in the woods.)

In the other, he acquires dodgy old food and either eats it, feeds it to the wildlife, or explodes it.

He is a very odd man, and his videos are charming.

thr0b

Quote from: GMTV on January 23, 2024, 04:49:22 PMI really liked Ashens way back in the day. First person I saw on YouTube delving into vintage electronic tat, obscure games etc. Long since had enough of his shtick, but for a time he was The Man on YouTube.

I used to really enjoy his stuff. These days, it's all very sneery.

"Oh, look at this cheap food, isn't it disgusting?"

"This inexpensive tat is tat. Tut."

mippy

Ashens has been around long enough that there's a whole slew of YTers that have clearly been influenced by him, and therefore walk that fine line between being very amusing and SFC tediousness, and probably wear t-shirts that say "Fluent in Sarcasm".

thr0b

Quote from: mippy on January 23, 2024, 08:04:43 PMAshens has been around long enough that there's a whole slew of YTers that have clearly been influenced by him, and therefore walk that fine line between being very amusing and SFC tediousness, and probably wear t-shirts that say "Fluent in Sarcasm".

I was watching his stuff before he was on YouTube or Google Video. The original schtick was good. Now it's effort-free tedium.

Natnar

Quote from: thr0b on January 23, 2024, 05:41:31 PMYou will also like Post10 and New England Wildlife And More. Two channels, one person. In the first - he camps in odd places (abandoned hotels, wells, a rickety old broken down van he had turned into a cabin literally in the woods.)

In the other, he acquires dodgy old food and either eats it, feeds it to the wildlife, or explodes it.

He is a very odd man, and his videos are charming.
Post 10 is one of my favourite youtubers. He's got 4 youtube channels on the go, i really don't know how he has the time to upload as many videos he does.

idunnosomename

Ashens is a good performer, so I like when I see him in Digi stuff. he can work well to camera with other performers, contributing jokes and letting other people's jokes land, which is a skill. as i said upthread he's on the Beanus origin video and really helped Biffo along with the whole idea about what an incredibly tenuous creation Beanus is, kinda throwing shade on it because it is a bit rubbish, but also not being a spotlight-stealing knobhead or anything.

Sooz was good in this too I thought, hope to see some more of her in the series.

madhair60

i don't mind Ashens nowadays, used to hate the sneery sod, but his voice and style of delivery were a cancer on early UK Youtube and are still heard to this day by the uncreative. I think Ashens to an extent put his money where his mouth is which I sort of appreciate; while I wouldn't call his films good, compared to the likes of the Channel Awesome efforts they're fuckin Stanley Kubrick.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: madhair60 on January 24, 2024, 10:36:28 AMi don't mind Ashens nowadays, used to hate the sneery sod, but his voice and style of delivery were a cancer on early UK Youtube and are still heard to this day by the uncreative.

i blame yahtzee for this. above it all, 'reviews' that sometimes weren't anything more than Cinema Sins nitpicks, sneering at people who liked any games that weren't linear AAA action adventures with the mandated amount of moderate quirk and swearing very quickly in a serious voice. oh you like to PLAY games do you, what a saddo! you wont get many character arcs enjoying yourself at that speed

ashens was more like post-Brooker "face like a broken clock inside a haunted tree" "do you SEE" stuff which was refreshing when everyone else was going it looks like someone shit on shit with shit on it.

mippy

I liked Yahtzee back in the day but I think that came from not actually being into video games to the point that the nitpicking irritated me. It wore thin pretty quickly, though.

You have to be very good to do that overly sweary and/or the-mysterious-cloths-of-J nerd sarcasm thing without it ending up as unbearably naff and tedious. I had a live-in landlord who basically only communicated in the latter, which was fine for a while and then, during a period where I really didn't want to have to humour terrible lines every time I entered and left the house, became very rapidly very unbearable, so maybe I have a lot less tolerance for it these days.

Ashens and Ciaran Carlin (a man who gets angry at football shirts) are just on the right side of the line.

Mobbd

Fuck the lot of you. This is great. It could easily be something Organ Gangish on TMWRNJ:

https://youtu.be/WEq0FRhWvFw?feature=shared

idunnosomename

i think we like Biffo! He's funny, a good writer who can turn his hand to a lot of things, but really enjoys doing his own ridiculous nonsense which is often very enjoyable.

the childish reveal at the end of the Connis the Cowbag has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum but it is really is a brilliant non-punchline for a bunch of creepy weirdness
https://youtu.be/UcKwQOksO6A?si=Fs4ZHLZguAuIN0gY&t=652

Mobbd

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 07, 2024, 12:08:13 AMthe childish reveal at the end of the Connis the Cowbag has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum but it is really is a brilliant non-punchline for a bunch of creepy weirdness
https://youtu.be/UcKwQOksO6A?si=Fs4ZHLZguAuIN0gY&t=652

Yeah, that's brilliant. I also like "they don't like how they move!"

Spudgun

Plus he designed Bamber Boozler, so he's got that going for him as well. I only found that out thanks to his most recent Let's Play. (Of Bamboozle.)

Speaking of the Let's Plays, Sanja's answer to Biffo asking whether she'd ever played a text adventure before absolutely had me rolling:

https://youtu.be/6gP3gd5iC7A&t=811

Mobbd

Quote from: Spudgun on April 07, 2024, 07:58:24 PMPlus he designed Bamber Boozler, so he's got that going for him as well. I only found that out thanks to his most recent Let's Play. (Of Bamboozle.)

I finally got around to watching this. It's just a quickie while they're making proper Digi episodes and its certainly a slow burn, but it made me laugh til I cried.

It was the bit about
Spoiler alert
surgeons operating on Bamber Boozler in a dirty hospital.
[close]
It won't work on anyone else now that I've oversold it but I literally cried after laughing for SOLID MINUTES.

idunnosomename

in the last minute he does actually answer something I always wondered about Bamber, is that a long droopy moustache or his jowls.

that should have been a question.

What are these two lines coming out of my nose?

Jowls
Thin droopy moustache
Streams of mucus
Surgery scars

back to the first page. thing is that this doesn't capture is how long the subpages took to load

Spudgun

The latest one is also worth watching, I thought - playing The Oregon Trail with the sole intention of dying of dysentery.

I won't spoil whether they succeed or not, but again I absolutely fell about laughing around the 36-minute mark when they manage to
Spoiler alert
pointlessly drown one of their party and five of their oxen
[close]
on basically the first actual hazard.

Mobbd

This is good, innit? I would like this thread to become as active as the Red Letter Media thread.

(Surgery scars btw - hee!)

Mobbd

Btw, I was trying to find the "boys! You can do anything" song yesterday.

Does anyone know what the shitting Christ I'm talking about? Has it been taken down or is it just part of a Digi episode without its own separate vid?

I remember this lyric:

"Write a long book on the life of lambs / go to the store to buy five sweet clams."

lazarou

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 22, 2024, 12:28:54 PMHe also got into a few weird beefs but I believe it's all part and parcel of being a Youtuber.
I think it's touched on in that video, but Larry was notorious back in the day for being a nasty bastard who used to post a lot of bad shit to encyclopedia dramatica, often about other online "celebs" he worked with behind their backs. I was enough of an edgelord to read ED back then and clearly remember the site itself publicly calling him out on it and revealing his alts on there. He was also heavily involved in the early days of the whole chris-chan disaster, going as far as to do some of the earliest gaslighting video interviews, something he seemed to take enormous pride in.

He's also more generally a bullshit artist, he used to love mentioning how he worked on Bungie's Oni and you sometimes see fans still mention this, but the reality was he was commissioned to do one piece of art for a magazine one time (from what I could actually find in reality). A lot of that bullshit is so prevalent because you won't find many sources that even tangentially mention Larry that weren't either written or rewritten by him. He's come surprisingly far just from being extremely online at all times.

(Apologies for the ancient reply but he's so good at keeping this all swept under the rug I feel physically compelled to mention it any time I see the subject come up)

madhair60

also gamergate cunt, not funny, not interesting, videos rife with factual errors, just a general piece of dogshit