Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:03:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Murders In The Building (Steve Martin & Martin Short series)

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 31, 2021, 10:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, I wasn't really trying to work it out, I was just along for the ride. I didn't want it to be
Spoiler alert
Cinda Canning anyway, Tina Fey just isn't that good in the show to justify it.
[close]

BritishHobo

It's tough for a show so constantly self-aware about murder mysteries to be surprising, so
Spoiler alert
it's a nice touch that they were able to give the murderer an episode all about her earlier in the season, without her becoming obvious as a suspect.
[close]

Season 3
Spoiler alert
setup is very fun, looking forward to them filling in all the gaps of what happens in the next year, and how Rudd fits in.
[close]

elliszeroed

This is  a show that takes me two or three episodes to warm up to.Not sure why, and not sure why it was the case with the second series/ season (I never know which it is), but by the fourth episode I was loving it, and really felt emotionally invested in Mabel's story, so much so the finale irritated me, the betrayal felt so ultimate, I don't think I could forgive that.

Blinder Data

Great finale, just like last season. So many murder mystery denouements are disappointing, while these save the best till last.

Spoiler alert
The slow motion sequence had me howling. However, the fake death was so believable it was almost traumatic - it was difficult to take in the scene after. My wife sat open-mouthed until the reveal. Don't do that to us again, Steve!
[close]

Already looking forward to next season.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 25, 2022, 07:57:43 AMAlready looking forward to next season.

Me too. This series has been a real gem.

Martin Short is such an under rated actor.

Angst in my Pants

Loved it, especially Martin Short.

Even though it was only a tiny moment, I loved his pre-credits delivery of:
Spoiler alert
This isn't feeling much like a season finale, ...

<first beat of theme tune>

...is it?
[close]

phantom_power

I love this show. I am not so fussed about the murder mystery element, though it is quite compelling. It is more about the characters and interactions for me. I am not great at guessing how things will work out, and in fact try and stop myself from doing so and just enjoy the plot unravelling, but even I guessed that the original accusation was just a ploy to tease out the real murderer. It was very well done though

All the peripheral characters are great as well. I even don't mind Cara Delevigne(sp?) and her "I'm English you twat" was well delivered. I really like that the annoying beardy cat man set aside his fears to talk to the Broadway chorus man in a previous episode, and glad that they didn't fuck him over with the cat allergy thing

Rolf Lundgren

Couldn't quite get into the second series compared to the first although did really enjoy the finale. The week by week release made it difficult for my attention deficit brain to fully keep up with the plot but enjoy it as a world to disappear into for 37 minutes.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on August 25, 2022, 10:26:21 AMLoved it, especially Martin Short.

Even though it was only a tiny moment, I loved his pre-credits delivery of:
Spoiler alert
This isn't feeling much like a season finale, ...

<first beat of theme tune>

...is it?
[close]

Loved his line "Should we torture her? Charles, quick, get your concertina and your 10 most interesting stories!"

kalowski

I've just finished both series and I have to say this was one of the best things I have seen in years. As has been said, Martin Short was incredible but the whole cast were top notch.
It was perfect.
Interesting as well to have older characters, gay characters, deaf characters, minority ethnic characters and none were tokenistic, just real, often very funny, people.

"Were you thinking what I was thinking?"
"Yes! The garbage bag."
"Oh, no, I was thinking something else."

Dr Rock

Just watched both seasons, super liked it.

Carla Delevigne reminds me of Hugh Laurie.

thr0b

She is excellent. The final episode fakeput was tremendously played by all.

New season trailer has dropped, I believe.

Oosp

I do wonder what they plan to do with S3's Celebrity Special Guest. Sting was, y'know, whatever, fine in S1. The inclusion of Amy Schumer was their only real misstep in S2. I mean, it really stunk the place up, because how could it not? And it just felt so completely pointless. Is their latest Celeb merely there for shits and giggles or to actually advance the plot?

Ah who cares. It'll be tremendous fun as usual. Great show

kalowski

The Sting plot was great, especially the last episode where the doorman kept telling everyone his secret story of getting a drunk Sting up to his room.

I agree Schumer was a misstep.

kitsofan34

I'm up to episode 8. Why does Charles spend the first half arguing about dips and "knee guys" with Oliver, when he's aware his daughter might well be about to be killed? So dumb.

mrfridge

Dr Rock

Quote from: Oosp on March 21, 2023, 08:56:12 PMI do wonder what they plan to do with S3's Celebrity Special Guest. Sting was, y'know, whatever, fine in S1. The inclusion of Amy Schumer was their only real misstep in S2. I mean, it really stunk the place up, because how could it not? And it just felt so completely pointless. Is their latest Celeb merely there for shits and giggles or to actually advance the plot?

Ah who cares. It'll be tremendous fun as usual. Great show

It's
Spoiler alert
Meryl Streep
[close]

The Culture Bunker

Just finished both series over a few weeks and really enjoyed it - my good lady loved it too. Agree with the Martin Short praise, he probably steals the show over his two better known (I think?) co-stars.

Mister Six

Started watching this and have found it mildly diverting but more pleasant than actually funny, and some of the writing is quite clunky (like Martin and Gomez telling each other intimate life stories in the corridor while picking locks, even though they only met a couple of days before). Does it flourish and transform once it shakes off the pilot jitters, or is it more of a "nice cup of Horlicks before bed" sort of show?

phantom_power

Quote from: Mister Six on May 19, 2023, 10:10:47 PMStarted watching this and have found it mildly diverting but more pleasant than actually funny, and some of the writing is quite clunky (like Martin and Gomez telling each other intimate life stories in the corridor while picking locks, even though they only met a couple of days before). Does it flourish and transform once it shakes off the pilot jitters, or is it more of a "nice cup of Horlicks before bed" sort of show?

The latter but I would say very much top tier of that sort of thing. It takes some interesting digressions and the mystery is pretty decent, and the 3 leads play off each other really well

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Mister Six on May 19, 2023, 10:10:47 PMStarted watching this and have found it mildly diverting but more pleasant than actually funny, and some of the writing is quite clunky (like Martin and Gomez telling each other intimate life stories in the corridor while picking locks, even though they only met a couple of days before). Does it flourish and transform once it shakes off the pilot jitters, or is it more of a "nice cup of Horlicks before bed" sort of show?

Yeah it's definitely the latter, it's not top tier TV in regard to plot or dialogue or acting or certainly humour but it does as good a job at pure comfort TV as I've seen for a while.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I would say there is some distinct flourishing after the first episode. It's very funny at times. Steve Martin does a great bit of physical comedy in the last episode of the first series.

Mister Six

Fair fucks, my assumption about the corridor expo dump was misplaced. About halfway through episode 2 but not really feeling it. Going to wait till Mrs Six is back in the US and watch it with her, I reckon.

kalowski

I loved it. As @Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth says above, some beautiful stuff from Martin in the final episode of series 1.

McDead

Quote from: Mister Six on May 20, 2023, 09:58:40 PMFair fucks, my assumption about the corridor expo dump was misplaced. About halfway through episode 2 but not really feeling it. Going to wait till Mrs Six is back in the US and watch it with her, I reckon.

It's definitely a "sit and watch with the significant other" type of show. I like it an awful lot, Short in particular is stellar.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: kalowski on May 20, 2023, 10:11:41 PMI loved it. As @Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth says above, some beautiful stuff from Martin in the final episode of series 1.
Yeah, the reveal after he gives his epic speech to the killer got a big laugh from us for Martin's facial expressions.

kalowski

Two episodes of of Season 3 are available. I think it's started well with plenty of laughs, some great characters and the main three as strong as ever. Really looking forward to how it develops over the series season.

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

The wife and I enjoy it but I find Selena Gomez rather flat (her acting). When she's doing the sarcastic, dry stuff, I find it pretty wooden.

Jack Shaftoe

Mmm, I thought she was being weirdly flat this series. Possibly going for 'withdrawn', but I'm not sure it's quite coming across. I'm enjoying Martin Short's strange noises, getting very into actors who can get stuff across with sounds rather than just dialogue (Henry Cavill on The Witcher is great at this).