Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:29:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Murders In The Building (Steve Martin & Martin Short series)

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 31, 2021, 10:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Larence

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on August 15, 2023, 07:00:30 AMMmm, I thought she was being weirdly flat this series. Also her face has got wider and rounder, like a dinner plate, not sure what's going on there.

Probably a result of steroids to treat her Lupus. 

Jack Shaftoe

You know, I felt bad approximately 1 second after posting that, because a) it's a mean thing to say and b) there may well be some medical reason for it, so I edited it, but I guess steroids would make sense. Soz, Selina.

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

I've already screenshotted your post and sent it to her on LiveJournal.

Hank_Kingsley

This season has had a much stronger start than the last one which still turned out good but had a rough couple of episodes what with
Spoiler alert
Oscar
[close]
dying on the way back to his home planet and
Spoiler alert
Cara
[close]
fuckin
Spoiler alert
Delevinge
[close]
completely throwing off the vibe.

It helps that you've got Paul Rudd and Meryl Streep joining, Paul Rudd keeps getting cast as lovable loser nice guys but he's great being an arrogant douche.

Jack Shaftoe

I thought episode three was pretty great, particularly as the creators set themselves the difficult task of
Spoiler alert
the characters saying 'We're coming to have to come up with a great song for this show' then actually having to deliver an objectively great tune, which, impressively, they did.
[close]
Steve Martin's being a bit less sympathetic in this series, but then we're seeing him in the harshest light, as his character is an annoying actor, so this is what he's supposed to be like, and he hasn't got a heart-warming love interest/long-lost child storyline so far. I mean, he's still funny, it's fine, and it speaks to his lack of vanity of an actor that he's happy to let Short have the spotlight for a bit. Gomez warming up now too, which is good.

Hank_Kingsley

Plot theory: Okay, but Paul Rudd's character was totally talking to
Spoiler alert
a plate of cookies
[close]
wasn't he?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on August 16, 2023, 12:07:47 PMPlot theory: Okay, but Paul Rudd's character was totally talking to
Spoiler alert
a plate of cookies
[close]
wasn't he?

Reckon so!

All I reckon is the killer won't be a woman, because they've done that twice and reminded the audience that too. Then again..

kalowski

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on August 16, 2023, 12:07:47 PMPlot theory: Okay, but Paul Rudd's character was totally talking to
Spoiler alert
a plate of cookies
[close]
wasn't he?

Excellent idea.
The phrase
Spoiler alert
internet mem
[close]
has entered my family's lexicon.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 18, 2023, 12:08:18 PMReckon so!

All I reckon is the killer won't be a woman, because they've done that twice and reminded the audience that too. Then again..

I've been trying to puzzle out whether Meryl Streep is a likely candidate or not. You naturally go "well it won't be her, because it's too obvious to be the big guest star". But then does that mean it becomes unlikely enough that it actually being her wouldn't be obvious? But then does that cycle back round to being obvious again?

kalowski

Another good episode. All I'm going to say is that Steve Martin is a wonderful physical comedian.

BritishHobo

The songs really are great so far. I've had the Pickwick children song stuck in my head all afternoon. I sort-of hope that by the end of the season we'll have a solid little soundtrack.

Hank_Kingsley

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 22, 2023, 10:28:08 PMThe songs really are great so far. I've had the Pickwick children song stuck in my head all afternoon. I sort-of hope that by the end of the season we'll have a solid little soundtrack.

Oh man, Charles entering the
Spoiler alert
White Room
[close]
and mangling the lyrics to
Spoiler alert
pigfuck dickwad
[close]
was beautiful stuff. Definitely feel like there have been more laughs in this season compared to last, season one had more of a 'cosy crime' vibe and season two felt like it was reaching towards something but didn't quite get there, so far this feels like they're playing to all the actors strengths and going all out on the sillier stuff.

Blinder Data

finally finished season 3. in my view it was the weakest so far. at points I found it a bit boring, frankly

it felt like the first thing they did was cast Meryl streep and then wrote the scripts around her availability. she was brilliant obviously, even though her relationship with putnam didn't convince or move me at all

Paul Rudd was maybe miscast. he was going for Tom Cruise energy but all I could think was how Ben Stiller would've nailed this role if he was 10 years younger

I think this season failed because the murder was secondary to the musical, which I didn't find that compelling. this meant the week to week twists and gang getting up to scrapes (the best bits!) were minimal. also, I know it's hardly neorealism but something about the musical production process didn't convince me - how/why did the producers back Putnam to the extent that they did? why were there so few people involved in the production? stretched credulity for me

Martin short and Steve Martin had some great moments, and the full performance of the Pickwick triplets was a triumph. but overall a damp squib. I'm hoping next season they stick to the murder and maybe give us character moments that matter (like Charles's relationship with his daughter that wasn't mentioned AT ALL this season)

Maurice Yeatman

I almost quit during season 2, and now two eps into this one I just don't have the urge to see what's going to happen, which I did for the first season. Can't really identify with anyone, it's just not funny or interesting enough, not as Short/Martin-focused as I want it to be, and I'm detecting an air of complacency in them knowing they have a guaranteed hit show. The asides about Charles and Oliver being old are tedious too. I get that Selena Gomez is the talent that's bringing in the young audience for this, but she sucks the life out of the comedy for me. She was nominated for a Golden Globe though, so what do I know.

neveragain

I felt the same as you @Maurice Yeatman. Gave the series a rest for a while then came back to it, and I'm very glad I did.

thr0b

It's a series which I always seem to watch the first couple of episodes in a row, forget to watch anymore for a few weeks and then binge the rest of the season in a day or two.

As sitcoms based on staging musicals go, this was up there with Curb's Producers season.

I liked both.

Famous Mortimer

I just finished it, and I liked it a lot more than season 2, which I was a bit bored by. I called the recipient of Paul Rudd's speech but I couldn't figure out how it was relevant, so kudos to them.

Agreed about the plots being slightly led by the availability of their A-list guest stars, but it worked out okay in the end. Liked the new characters and if they hadn't had the
Spoiler alert
Jane Lynch
[close]
thing in their back pocket since the first time they appeared, it's a brilliant use of them.

Mr Trumpet

Wwwwwwwhich of the Pickwick triplets did it, which of the three could commit this crime

Oosp