Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:17:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

American version of Ghosts

Started by Virgo76, May 29, 2022, 10:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61584326

Interesting!
First impressions (based purely on this article):
1. Could have been called 'Spooks'. Although I think that's also a racist term in the US.
2. A viking instead of a caveman? Yes. That would work.
3. A shame to see the trouser-less old Tory MP replaced with a young good-looking pants-less Wall Street trader. I guess they don't have the same tradition of politicians dying in sexual mishaps that we have.
4. Annoying to see Veep classed as the US version of The Thick of It. Different names. Different characters. Different stories. Different show!

steveh

They are already talking about doing spin-offs from the US Ghosts:

QuoteIt's early days, but I think it creates a universe. I don't know why a concept like that could not lend itself to being franchised because there's a whole world that's been created through this show. I'm really focused now on "We've got a big hit, let's protect it and shore it up for season two." But I think that's highly possible.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/05/cbss-success-and-the-case-for-paramount.html

Assume the BBC piece is pre-publicity for it being on Paramount+ in the UK from next month.

dead-ced-dead

Hopefully it's a big hit, less for its own success (I haven't seen it yet, so can't speak to its quality), but I love the idea of the Horrible Histories writers and cast being made rich from it.

Bad Ambassador

It's finished its first season and been a major success, despite being shit.

Icehaven

Sorry if there's another thread about this, couldn't find it. I've watched all of S1 and most of S2 and I've been enjoying it, although it's very different to the UK one I like that there's more ghosts, and they seem to be making more of the concept overall. It's bizarre to think there's already more episodes of this over the first two seasons than there was in the entire UK series.

Looks like those clowns in the afterlife did it again. What a bunch of clowns.

Sebastian Cobb

My Dad was a Necromancer and my Mum was a medium, so when I see a Scrimshaw Comb I don't know whether to eat it or shove it up my ass.

sorry I genuinely thought I was in hs art when I posted this

SteveDave

There was something on Matthew Baynton's episode of "Rob Brydon &" that seems to suggest that "Them There" aren't getting money from this being remade in America. I might've been misunderstanding but the way he talked about them not being an actual business thing made me think that they'd been screwed over a bit.

DrGreggles

They'd still be the creators though.
Even if they haven't got the executive producer tag*, they'll still get a fair few bucks - especially if it goes into syndication.

*which usually happens with adaptations

dead-ced-dead

As DrGreggles says, I think earnings are very dependant on being syndicated. The same will go for the actors in the US show. They'll get paid pretty decently for their time, but actual recurring paycheques will only come once it's hit 100 episodes or so.

MojoJojo

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 18, 2024, 03:04:35 PMThey'd still be the creators though.
Even if they haven't got the executive producer tag*, they'll still get a fair few bucks - especially if it goes into syndication.

*which usually happens with adaptations

According to IMDB, they are executive producers.

DrGreggles

jamiefairlie

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 18, 2024, 04:07:17 PMThey'll be getting paid then.

Why'd he lie about it then? The lying fucker.

DrGreggles

There's getting paid and GETTING PAID though.

Icehaven

The episode with Alberta's great niece was strange, I thought there was a whole "realising the error of their judgemental ways" thing coming when they managed to spoil her date with the obsessive fan/podcast bloke and that she was going to date him anyway but she didn't, and it was very much left that they'd done the right thing and saved her from him because he was apparently too weird and god forbid still lived with his mother (and surely using that as a shorthand for total failure is out of step these days, it's even mentioned throughout the series that the main couple could never have afforded a home if they hadn't inherited a mansion.)
Anyway it seemed oddly cruel and not in keeping with the otherwise generally sweet and cuddly tone. Unless there's going to be some follow up where she comes back and gives him another chance.

Captain Z

Caught one of these at 8pm on BBC3 last night. Was not expecting the female masturbation subplot.