Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:40:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Metal Gear

Started by oggyraiding, October 24, 2023, 11:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

MG 1-3 are available separately on the Switch - these bad boys largely passed me by back in the day, so which should I get? Which is the "best"?

Magnum Valentino

3 is. 2 is probably my favourite but that's an unpopular opinion.

Shaky

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 29, 2023, 05:59:33 AM3 is. 2 is probably my favourite but that's an unpopular opinion.

Cheers - I was torn between 2 and 3 but sounds like either is a decent bet.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 29, 2023, 05:59:33 AM3 is. 2 is probably my favourite but that's an unpopular opinion.

Nah I'm in agreement.  3 has more stuff in it but 2 feels more like a Metal Gear game.

bgmnts

2 suffers from a jarring ending due to real life circumstances and 3 is superior in almost every way, but yeah 2 feels like more of a Metal Gear game.

The last hour or so of two is magical and fucked me right up playing it as a 10 year old in the wee hours of the night.

oggyraiding

I feel 2 builds a lot on 1, and is less impactful without playing 1. 3 you can more or less fully enjoy without playing the others.

2 is my favourite, and it is a shame people gave it short shrift at the time because of the protagonist.

Is 1 still fun to play? Loved it when it came out and curious to pick it up again but found so many games I used to love feel a bit clunky these days, breaks the immersion a bit.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: thelittlemango on October 29, 2023, 11:29:48 AMIs 1 still fun to play? Loved it when it came out and curious to pick it up again but found so many games I used to love feel a bit clunky these days, breaks the immersion a bit.

It's only clunky insofar as it was designed with directional buttons in mind and it doesn't have analogue movement, but then the levels are also designed with that in mind, so it doesn't really jar.

Wouldn't say it's particularly aged, but it's closer to the MSX games than what followed.

oggyraiding

I'm enjoying MGS1. The camera can be a pain, as to actually see in front of you, you need to stand still and hold Triangle to enter first person view. The first boss fight was tricky due to not being able to see Ocelot very well, and because the aiming is difficult to get used to. The story still holds up, that perfect balance of sort of gritty action drama but then you've got wacky shit like Vulcan Raven.

The Culture Bunker

If they put them on PS Platinum, I'll give them a go - though not looking forward to the fight with Mantis and not being able to do the quick "plug controller in the other port" trick for easy victory.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: oggyraiding on October 29, 2023, 10:22:13 PMI'm enjoying MGS1. The camera can be a pain, as to actually see in front of you, you need to stand still and hold Triangle to enter first person view. The first boss fight was tricky due to not being able to see Ocelot very well, and because the aiming is difficult to get used to. The story still holds up, that perfect balance of sort of gritty action drama but then you've got wacky shit like Vulcan Raven.
You might want to give the Gamecube version, "The Twin Snakes", a try, which gives you different camera angles for the Ocelot fight, making it a bit easier.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 30, 2023, 01:25:00 PMYou might want to give the Gamecube version, "The Twin Snakes", a try, which gives you different camera angles for the Ocelot fight, making it a bit easier.

Many people (and I agree) that the first person camera misses the point of the design of MGS1.  But certainly it's a curio to experience alongside the original.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 30, 2023, 01:39:06 PMMany people (and I agree) that the first person camera misses the point of the design of MGS1.  But certainly it's a curio to experience alongside the original.
It's the only version I ever played, so I have nothing really to compare it to (other than when I first read about it and people complained about the Ocelot fight, which was a piece of piss on the Gamecube).

Magnum Valentino

It's also never been rereleased so you'd have to emulate it unless you have a GameCube or Wii and a copy of the game.

Like I do 😎

AngryGazelle

I think 2 is probably my favourite. My only real gripe with is was that the Plant is fairly bland, level design wise.

bgmnts

They've released Metal Gear Solid on its own, along with Metal Gear Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake for 16 quid on xbox, if anyone's interested.

What I was waiting for personally!

Memorex MP3

Isn't the consensus that the original Metal Gear is horribly aged but Metal Gear 2 is a gigantic improvement and arguably closer to Solid than it is to the original

Are they including Ghost Babel? Always been very curious about it, everyone fucking loved it in 2000 but I get the impression it's not very playable outside of the context of a Gameboy Color months before the GBA existed

bgmnts

Former, I'm not sure, nowadays they both show their age for me.

Latter, this is volume 1 so I assume they'll release another 'Master Collection' that may have Ghost Babel on it, although I assume it'd probably Guns of the Patriots (more hope than anything), Peace Walker and Phantom Pain. If they could chuck stuff like Portable Ops and Ghost Babel in there for a giggle that'd be great.

Midas

Think MGS3 may be the only game I have ever immediately replayed after completing

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Midas on November 08, 2023, 06:25:00 PMThink MGS3 may be the only game I have ever immediately replayed after completing
Almost like you were still in a dream!

Pink Gregory

genuinely think that the Octocamo in 4 is a complete improvement on 3's camo uniforms

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Midas on November 08, 2023, 06:25:00 PMThink MGS3 may be the only game I have ever immediately replayed after completing

I once played Resident Evil 3 times in one evening.

Magnum Valentino

When you first meet Otacon, he says he can use his stealth camo to bring you rations and ammo.

I've played this game more than any other and I have never done this.

Is that an actual feature (similar to how Campbell tells you to use the action button to climb ladders as part of codec chats) or is it just meaningless dialogue?

If not, how do you access it?

The Culture Bunker

I always figured it was a plot device to explain how he can sneak in when Snake is locked up after being captured.

Mind you, surely those Genome soldiers would be put on alert by the faint aroma of piss-soaked kex?

Magnum Valentino

Not sure I can get past VR Variety Mission 4 as Snake, sniping 26 baddies that want to get at a sleeping Meryl.

According to my trophy list I did complete all VR missions back in 2013 and I remember getting it ten years before that on PS2 but aaaaaaaaa can't be bothered I don't think.

It's a shame as I can't unlock any more missions until I get past this but might be time to move onto Snake Eater.

Edit: found a chest that allows you to play any mission you want but had to sacrifice my 64% completion save to do it.

I then made my way to the MGS1-Snake Grenade level 5 mission that defeated me 20 years ago, beat it in one go, and deleted the game from my console memory.

Thursday

I thought it was just implied that the stealth camo is something there's only a couple of prototypes of.

And Snake is such a chad he doesn't need it, even if there were a couple going spare.

You do get to use it after getting the Otacon ending though.

bgmnts

Managed to complete Metal Gear 1 and 2, and I only need a thoroughly detailed walkthrough for 95% of them.

Had no idea just how much MGS rehashed from Metal Gear 2!

Magnum Valentino

Found Snake Eater a wee bit more of a slog after blasting my way through 1 and 2. It's definitely harder but I'd spent so much time with the mechanics of 2 in the VR missions that I found it hard to adjust.

Also the section in the cave, the runway chase and guiding Eva through the forest are all SHITE. The misogyny is rampant in 3, too. Made me really uncomfortable that my wife might come in while I was watching a man electrocute a woman through the diddies or press R1 to get a good look at them myself.

copa

Metal Gear games are my gaming kryptonite.
They showcase every aspect of gaming that I loathe.

I can understand people getting caught up with the hype at the time.
How teenagers could have been impressed by the psuedo-intellectual babble of MGS 2.
But anyone who plays that game now and thinks it's good - is somebody I disagree with.

ros vulgaris

Quote from: bgmnts on October 27, 2023, 02:10:45 PMSaid this in the thread but it's so silly remaking Snake Eater when you have the original Metal Gears and even Metal Gear Solid begging for a remake.

The original two are probably the most important in terms of the story as well, and no-one plays them.