Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:43:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Simon Pegg/Edgar Wright to make Action Film

Started by Bollock Chops, August 12, 2004, 12:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bollock Chops

QuoteSimon Pegg, star and creator of British zombie hit "Shaun of the Dead", has given ZOO Magazine exclusive news about his next film: another comedy with the stars of the UK comedy series "Little Britain". The as yet untitled film aims to do for the action genre what Shaun... did with horror.

Pegg told ZOO, "We want to make the great British action film. It'll be the same kind of thing as Shaun... we're not taking the piss out of action, just as we didn't take the piss out of horror. But it'll still be stupid and silly, of course. It'll have the same tone and the same people." However, Pegg quashed rumours he'd make Shaun 2 - "We did play with the idea of a sequel, but sequels can damage the reputation of the original. Plus most of the characters are dead!"

Scripting starts in the autumn with director Edgar Wright and the new film should hit cinemas in 2006. Pegg has pitched the film as "The Wicker Man crossed with Hard Boiled" Alfred Molina and Dustin Hoffman are wanted for cameos.
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040811c.php

Darrell

A Lucas and Walliams film!

The best thing is that they're not writing it - so it won't put a big four-year gap and practical dead-end to their comedy careers while they film it.

I really liked Shaun of the Dead, so this should be great too.

That is all.

Jaffa The Cake

Ug, I don't find Lucas funny at all, just really annoying. Pegg's going to have to do a great job with the writing to compensate for that. Also, I hope he doesn't fall into the trap of re-making Shawn Of The Dead with different actors and terrorists instead of zombies.

Jemble Fred

I was watching SotD yet again last night, this time with the Pegg & Wright commentary, and was wondering where they'd go next. I despise most action films, so I'd prefer it to be a real piss-take. Especially with L&W on board. Still, I trust Pegg & Wright to deliver the goods anyway.

dirkfunk

i think the little britain thing is a bit misleading

since lucas and walliams were both in the film for a split second

i think he means the same cast as shaun of the dead

i fucking hate lucas and walliams

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "dirkfunk"i fucking hate lucas and walliams

With the likes of Barrett & Fielding riding high, and Leigh Francis getting away with whatever he wants, hating Lucas & Walliams is like fighting for animal liberation during a Nazi invasion.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Will this be better than Hot Shots! Part Deux?

theantileague

Quote from: "dirkfunk"ii fucking hate lucas and walliams

Another Pegg and Wright film though... *thumbs up*

Sounds like a good idea. Another Pegg/Wright film is exactly what the British film industry needs.

Dark Sky

Hmmm.  I don't see this.

I dunno, I could see Shaun of the Dead, because it was an obvious extension of the horror sequences from Spaced, but an action comedy?

I don't watch enough action films, that's my trouble.

-Nick

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Why are Pegg and co so always keen to point out that their stuff is homage rather than parody/piss-take? What's the difference anyway?

I still haven't seen Shaun of the Dead. My friend said it was '90 minutes of people talking in THAT voice', which put me off.

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Why are Pegg and co so always keen to point out that their stuff is homage rather than parody/piss-take? What's the difference anyway?

I still haven't seen Shaun of the Dead anyway. My friend said it was '90 minutes of people talking in THAT voice', which put me off.

You should watch it... or my respect for you will drop 2 pts.

sorry

but make up your own mind to watch and dont be put off by others...

i do love you though.

Darrell

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Why are Pegg and co so always keen to point out that their stuff is homage rather than parody/piss-take?

I believe they were quite annoyed at Shaun of the Dead continually being referred to as a 'spoof' (suggesting a Naked Gun-style affair), and so have made sure to mention it in any promotional interviews to prevent it happening as much as possible.

DuncanC

I think it's an important distinction too. Having someone think it's a british Scary Movie does SotD a great disservice.The zombies are (largely) played straight, the comedy comes from the characters. "That voice"?

Jaffa The Cake

Yeah, I'm quite curious to know what 'that voice' is.

Jemble Fred

The kind of Partridge-esque, Brigstoke-style intonation favoured by the crapper half of the 11 O'clock show generation –  in much the same way that unimaginative 60s comedians aped EL Wisty's voice, right up to John Major's time as Prime Minister. It is a major annoyance. Mitchell & Webb do it a lot, but apart from 'Partridge-esque', I'm not sure how else to describe it.

It's pretty much totally absent from SotD.

VorpalSword

i thought that THAT voice was the "what i'm saying is absolutely right and why didn't you know that already" voice. like "we've got to save my girlfriend" "they're not zombies" and "but i love you!"

*shudders*

there were a few of those voices in SOTD, but it's still a fantastic film

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

That's quite a good definition, VorpalSword. Imagine that crossed with Alan Partridge in 'Needles to say...I took drugs [HAND SHRUG]' mode. I've no idea if it's in SotD, but it is worryingly ubiquitous in so much current comedy.

Isn't the piss-take/homage distinction the difference between good and bad parody? I mean, what is The Rutles for example? It's a piss-take in many respects, but obviously done with real affection and with no actual disrespect to the stuff they're parodying.

Does SotD actually work as a horror film - can you be frightened by it in the same way you can be frightened by Dawn of the Dead?

Darrell

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Does SotD actually work as a horror film - can you be frightened by it in the same way you can be frightened by Dawn of the Dead?

Yes, basically.

Jemble Fred

If not frightened, certainly horrified. At least once.

Rats

God I hate that fucking voice too. Like Lucy Davis, every time you see her on the telly, even if it's an interview, that awkward nervous stretching of "okaaaaaaaaay" and then popping out a few "yes, why nots, yes why nots, yes why nots" sucking air in through her teeth, tensing up and tangling her arms and legs up like a tampered gorilla. Really, it's like the lot of them have learnt social skills from some lab experiment. I've never seen jessica stevenson being interviewed but I bet she wants a fucking kick in the fanny as well.

edit: lucas and walliams are a couple of twats, little britain licks the shoes of that wank in the zoo.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Rats"
edit: lucas and walliams are a couple of twats, little britain licks the shoes of that wank in the zoo.

You are criminally fucking insane. That's just the most horrible, foul thing I've ever read from you, Rats.

This isn't bigging up L&W, but Chucklevision at a quarter speed is still preferable to 'the Zoo thing'. Unless you mean Animal Magic, in which case I apologise.

Rats

Well they're both shite, I just want to make darrell cry.

Gavin

Quote from: "Rats"Well they're both shite, I just want to make darrell cry.

I find Little Britain and The Mighty Boosh equally repulsive.

Regular John

Lucas and Walliams are FUCKING WANKERS IHATE THEAMMMSAAMAAARRRGHHH

Jemble Fred

As far as I can see, LB's only crime is the endless repetition. The characters are fair enough for one visit, but every episode is precisely the same. Tom Baker's script is some of the funniest text written this century, (If it was written this century) and it goes without saying his performance is brilliant. I do find it genuinely shocking that you've never laughed at the narration, or the odd out-of-place reference in LB.

However, as I'll no doubt get shouted at for saying, I still have not heard a single funny quote from TMB. I wish to fuck I could, then I could shut up about the bastards.

Darrell

Quote from: "Regular John"Lucas and Walliams are FUCKING WANKERS IHATE THEAMMMSAAMAAARRRGHHH

What did they ever do to gain such overexaggerated hate from people?

Regular John

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "Regular John"Lucas and Walliams are FUCKING WANKERS IHATE THEAMMMSAAMAAARRRGHHH

What did they ever do to gain such overexaggerated hate from people?

Christ knows, I think they are fantastic to be honest. Immaturity without relying on bum/willy/fart/cum jokes.

Darrell

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"The characters are fair enough for one visit, but every episode is precisely the same.

But it isn't though, that's the point I'm forever trying to make. It's no more repetitive than ANY sketch show with recurring characters.

The Lou and Andy sketches rely on the repetition as the joke, the fact you oh fuck it, it's like trying to convince Cliff Richard that God doesn't exist this argument, it goes on forever. There's always some ignorant fuckwit who refuses to listen (not you Jemfred, I'm talking generally here).

All L&W haters are intent to go without any fucking good comedy it seems, so it's what they deserve.

Jemble Fred

Well, I should think not, I was defending the show. Anything with Paul Putner involved is worth watching. Baker's bits are worth every half hour. And I very much like Lucas* and Walliams in almost anything, although I can understand their campness putting some people off. I watched last night's show and thoroughly enjoyed it – still, at the same time I was constantly wondering whether I'd seen it before. I'm not sure why it seems more repetitive than Harry Enfield's TV Prog or The Fast Show, but to me personally, it does. There certainly aren't enough new ideas among the regular character stuff. Perhaps, because my opinion of L&W is so high, I just expect a little more variety from them.

*That said, Lucas does the worst Welsh accent I have ever, ever heard.