Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:30:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Your Enthusiasm on E4 from Thur 2 Sept. (and Ch4 after?)

Started by The Plaque Goblin, August 24, 2004, 09:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Plaque Goblin

I notice in my new TV guide that  CYE will be on E4 from Thursday 2 Sept. at 11:10pm and 2:55am, which must mean it will be on terrestrial TV soon.

No mention of which series, it just says "Return of the US sitcom starring Larry David"

Dr David V

I'd guess this would be series 3, given than 1 and 2 were shown on BBC4, and therefore the rights for those episodes probably remain with the BBC. Still, good news, just a shame about the inevitable ad-break half way through.

Village Branson

It is series 3, where Larry decides to open a restaurant.

Knowing full well that being told something is really good means it's really under pressure to be outstanding, may I just urge you all to watch this series, as the last scene of it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. If I haven't mentioned it in that ROFL thread then shame on me. Fantastic stuff.

(for the one of you out there with E4 anyway)

I remember reading somewhere that series three was marginally the worst of the four - is this true?

slim

Quote from: "12 years, 11 months old"I remember reading somewhere that series three was marginally the worst of the four - is this true?

I think it's a matter of opinion. I thought season 4 was the weakest, whereas my dad thinks it's season 3.

I note Larry David has only recently signed up to do a fifth season so perhaps he thought season 4 was weak too. I often wonder how much material he has left - I presume that the basis for most of CYE has come from experiences since Seinfeld and he's already filled four (mostly) very funny seasons...

I'd have to agree with Village Branson that the climax of season 3 is absolutely suiperb.

Artemis

I have never watched this show.

I have heard it's very good and only ever caught about thirty seconds worth, and remember thinking... "are they making this up as they go along? Hmmm - could be interesting but it looks a big annoying and naff".

Now I'm tempted to get it on DVD, the things I've heard. Is it worth it? Try to be objective if possible...

Rats

Hmmm, it's not something you'd rewatch but if you've got 20 quid burning a hole in your pocket, go for it, it's really good. You could just wait for it to come on the telly, you never know, it could happen. Download them if you've got broadband.

Billy The Fish

So they're not going to show Series 1 on normal telly then?

Fuck's sakes, I really don't like downloading commercial material over the internet, but I wasn't going to spend good money on a DVD without knowing if I like it first.

Fucking idiots.

On a completely unrelated note, the fourth series of Six Feet Under started last week without even a fart of announcement from Channel 4.  I hate everyone who works for Channel 4 and I wish they were dead.  There, I said it.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I think all four series are about the same quality - Very Good rather than Excellent. The best comedy around at the moment, if that's not the faintest praise imaginable. It's the only new comedy I've actually looked forward to anyway. 'I'll have the Fish Frenzy' in Episode 1 is as good as it gets (ie, pretty good).

slim

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"(ie, pretty good).

Pret-ty... pret-ty... pret-ty.... pret-ty good!

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

I'm an absolute novice to CYE, and haven't got E4 but have got a spare 20-odd quid, so I might get the season 1 DVD. Heard extremely good things about it, mainly on here and by, er, Alison Graham of the Radio Times. In fact the only thing I know about it apart from it's by the co-creator of Seinfeld (again, never seen any of that either), is that apparently there's some incident in which CUNT is accidentally engraved on a gravestone. To be honest, if it's done well, that's worth £26.99 from sendit.com.

Dr David V

The Plaque Goblin

http://www.channel4.com/listings/E4/index.jsp?offset=4&position=4&startHour=17
Quote23:10 Curb Your Enthusiasm

Chet's Shirt
Brand new third series starring Seinfeld co-creator Larry David as himself in this hilarious, off-kilter comedy series that presents an unflinching, self-deprecating depiction of his life.
(Better tune in for five past, just in case)

weekender

If you're new to CYE, please don't base your opinion of it on this first episode that's coming up - personally, I don't think it's that good an episode.  However, there are some intial series-long jokes/plots made in there I think, so it's worth watching to pick up on those later on.

In fact, I'm not too fond of the first few episodes of S3.  That said, I love the last few with a passion, it genuinely is worth sticking with.

I'm trying to enthuse without giving anything away, is this the right course of action?  Fuck it, if you want to know why CYE is so funny, download Crazy Eyez Killah, that's from this forthcoming series.  Then, hopefully, you'll get into the rest of them.

Jim Jarmusch

I love this show, missed maybe 2 or 3 episodes from the first two series, look forward to this. Has Jerry appeared in any epsiodes?

tygerbug

Must watch Seinfeld! Must watch CYE!

I'll connect the two series just in terms of Larry's style always being Seinfeldian...

If you haven't seen Seinfeld ... and you haven't seen Curb ...

you haven't seen what seems more and more like the best American comedy from the past whatever amount of years.

I can't think of anything non-animated that's as worth seeing.

Those who miss Jerry -- anyone see the documentary Jerry Seinfeld: Comedian? I thought it was great.

Rev

It's a strange question, this, but I have to ask.  Do you lot watch 'Curb' on your own, or in a room with other people?  I have to retreat to a separate room to watch it, and everyone I know 'in the flesh' who is a fan of the series does the same.

mikeyg27

Quote from: "Jim Jarmusch"I love this show, missed maybe 2 or 3 episodes from the first two series, look forward to this. Has Jerry appeared in any epsiodes?

The pilot, which was practically feature length. It was going to be a documentary on Larry's return to stand up comedy, and Jerry was an interviewee talking about Larry's genius.

Daniel

He also had a very very brief cameo in the final episode of the fourth series, the name of which escapes me.

mikeyg27

Quote from: "Rev"It's a strange question, this, but I have to ask.  Do you lot watch 'Curb' on your own, or in a room with other people?  I have to retreat to a separate room to watch it, and everyone I know 'in the flesh' who is a fan of the series does the same.

I can watch it easily with my brother, but watching it in the same room as my father was hard at first, especially as he didn't like it. Then he watched it on his own, and came round to its genius. And now we can all watch it together, like happy families.

The Plaque Goblin

Jet Set Willy

I'm watching this for the first time ever right now.

I haven't laughed, and all I know is that I fancy his woman.

Jet Set Willy

OK I admit it. By the last bit I was grinning like the cheshire cat being sucked off and the end was very funny.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Not a bad episode but not a great one either. That said, I was laughing considerably throughout.

Best line = Jeff's "Ok then, I'll go as a fat tin man that disappoints children"

Oh, and now I know what Darrell means when he's talking about the difference between watching R1 and R2 dvds as this had a completely different look about it than my R1 episodes. Will this be the PAL conversion?

Series one is being repeated on BBC4 from next Thursday - an ideal chance for anyone who never 'got into' it.

Village Branson

Bumph again, tonight BBC4, 11.05, don't forget it's two episodes!

Purple Tentacle

Do the BBC transmit it uncut? Is the finale of Series 3 broadcast in its glorious entirity?

Considering how many times they use the word "cunt", it's interesting that the glorious Christian moral guardians haven't noticed it.

Village Branson

No one knows about series 3 as Channel 4 bought it and have only been showing it on E4.

At the rate of two a week, Beloved Aunt will be on in three weeks time, so that's where you're answer will be.

Didn't seem uncut last time they showed it.