Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:38:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Your Enthusiasm on E4 from Thur 2 Sept. (and Ch4 after?)

Started by The Plaque Goblin, August 24, 2004, 09:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Twist

Beloved Aunt was shown uncut on BBC4. I believe that E4 showed the season three finale uncut... think the word "cunt" was used twice, is that right?

It seems odd that two channels are showing the same programme, albeit different seasons. Has this ever happened before?

Penfold

E4 are repeating season 3 again

i only just noticed and its on E4+1 at 1:05am

so in about twenty minutes

and on every wednesday at either 12:05am or 2:45am

mikeyg27

Quote from: "Paul Twist"It seems odd that two channels are showing the same programme, albeit different seasons. Has this ever happened before?

Probably, although I can't think of any proper examples. However, it did seem like a matter of time really before it happened. It goes on in America all the time. In fact, that's how Larry David got so fucking rich in the first place.

Actually, now I think about it, a lot of the programmes on Trouble have been on Paramount Comedy or Bravo at the same time (That 70s Show, My Wife and Kids etc.).

DuncanC

Baddiel & Skinner Unplanned were on Paramount/Paramount 2 and ITV2 at one point.

Penfold

Quote from: "mikeyg27"

Actually, now I think about it, a lot of the programmes on Trouble have been on Paramount Comedy or Bravo at the same time (That 70s Show, My Wife and Kids etc.).

i think trouble, bravo and living tv are owned by the same company

just found this.. http://www.flextech.co.uk/

telewest owned more channels than i thought

imitationleather

Prisoner: Cell Block H used to be on ITV and Channel 5 on the same night.

Neil

Beloved Aunt starting now on BBC4!

After watching Nathan Barley episode 1 for the fifth or sixth time tonight it was a blessed relief to see "naturalistic comedy" done properly with tha AAMCO episode there.  And Robert B Weide doesn't let the camera wank about all over the place the way Morris does, he keeps it loose enough for you to get that that it's handheld, and tight enough for you to get the fly-on-the-wall feel without being patronising.

Neil

There you go.  I hate to use the phrase "textbook" and I've always thought the first season of Curb Your Enthusiasm was trotting along behind the rest anyway, but that episode was textbook sitcom writing.  The big gag is unveiled halfway through, and then they get on with more sub-plots for the remainder of the episode.

DonkeyRhubarb

The repeats on BBC 4 have been my first exposure to 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' and I must say I'm highly impressed. No, strike that, I'm blown away.

It's true comedy, laugh a minute stuff and frighteningly well written. I just love the way it's all about the pay off, not just one pay off but several that weave around each other in threads, these threads often combine, and the effect is comedy gold. Also there are no gimmicks, it's just straight forward situations that we've all been in, but the way it's 'told' makes us see the comedy that was not always, but always was apparent in our own lives.

We all know now that NB isn't going to come anywhere near this, and it's a shame really, because the talent is there in both Morris and Brooker (shock horror! But I think it's true). What went wrong? Well that belongs on another thread, so I'll shut me gob for now.

Timmay

Was I watching the same Curb Your Enthusiasm to the rest of you? I caught it for 10 minutes earlier, and had to turn over. What dire shite. Sorry, ain't my bag baby.

DonkeyRhubarb

Have you watched it from the first episode? Have you ever watched or liked Seinfeld? Does the abscence of a laughter track put you off? There are so many more questions you should ask yourself? So as you say 'each to their own bag' ....... kind of?

Beagle 2

You HAVE to stick with it though Timmay, ten minutes is no time to judge it when someof the best gags take ages to build up. I'm not sure what episode it was tonight but I've never been a Seinfeld fan, and Curb has me pissing my pants every time without fail, the only comedy this century to really reduce me to tears regularly.

Sadness

Quote from: "Timmay"Sorry, ain't my bag baby.

I think "Rowan And Martins Laugh-In" is what you're after there.....

S.

Tones

It took me three attempts over the course of a year to appreciate "Curb Your Enthusiasm", and that third time it all fell into place and I laughed until I wept. All of those attempts concerned series one, episode one. I watched the late night BBC2 transmission and turned it off. Then I tried a second time, this time on Canal Plus, but again it was a no go. Finally I decided to give it another go and that was it, no going back. Absolutely hilarious stuff. Don't ask why I couldn't relate to it the first two times because I have really no idea.

My series 3 set just arrived from Amazon.com today. I haven't seen any of the third season, but some of the titles alone fill me with anticipatory joy.

butnut

Quote from: "Tones"
My series 3 set just arrived from Amazon.com today. I haven't seen any of the third season, but some of the titles alone fill me with anticipatory joy.

You're a lucky, lucky person. Without wishing to build it up too much, it has some of the best episodes of any programme ever in there. Which reminds me about the Desert Island Comedy thread I haven't started yet.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Are all the series' the same? In that they follow the same ludicrious pattern where everything goes wrong? It reminds me a little of Mr Bean, in that they're both a comedy of errors. It's good though, but I'm starting to regret buying the dvd (£12 delivered, so not so bad) as it has little re-watchablity.

Godzilla Bankrolls

They are pretty much the same, although sometimes Larry comes out on top. It's miles behind Seinfeld in the unpredicatbility stakes.

New series in September though, folks!

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Not sure if I'll stick with it, it gets infuriating after a while.

Although his wife is nice, so I might stick with it.

Derek Trucks

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"New series in September though, folks!

Are you referring to Season 5?  Because us law-abiding non-downloading folk (i.e. those with crap computers) haven't seen S4 yet.

Gavin

I recently found a few clips of Larry David live, possibly from 1999. They were edited out of a documentary which I am trying to find out the name of. It's 7 minutes 40 seconds and 7.02 MB.

http://www.qfile.de/dl/95085/larry_david-standup_1.mp3.html

Sam

That's from the CYE pilot which is mockumentary about Larry returning to standup. Cheers, though.

butnut

Gavin

Quote from: "Sam"That's from the CYE pilot which is mockumentary about Larry returning to standup. Cheers, though.

Is it? How the fuck did I not recognise it then?

Sam

Perhaps you're thinking of a different episode? It's the one where Larry is all set to perform in a big theatre but he cancels saying his mother died to get out of it (I think it's his mother, a relative or someone close in any case and it's either dead or in hospital - sorry only seen it once and I can't remember). He works his way up to the big show by doing a few shows in small clubs and the material in that clip is the material you see him do in that episode.

I found the info on the Seinfeld DVDs about Larry's satndup very interesting. Apparently he was a real comic's comic, who although wasn't popular with some audiences, would always have the other standups watching him because his material was so clever and well performed. Jerry said that even when he was bad he was good. I'd love to get hold of a Larry standup show from his pre-Seinfeld days. Does such a thing exist? Surely there must be some videos or audio clips floating around somewhere...

I don't know about his stand up but there was a website where you could download some of his appearances on 'Fridays'. But I'll be damned if I can find it now. They weren't too good if I recall but one of them featured him acting alongside another comedian called Bruce Mahler (Fackler from the police academy movies... and more importantly in Friday the 13th IV) who was playing a rabbi character who later appeared in a couple of seinfelds.

They're worth a look for curiosities sake, surely someone still has the address?

Gavin

Quote from: "Sam"Perhaps you're thinking of a different episode? It's the one where Larry is all set to perform in a big theatre but he cancels saying his mother died to get out of it (I think it's his mother, a relative or someone close in any case and it's either dead or in hospital - sorry only seen it once and I can't remember). He works his way up to the big show by doing a few shows in small clubs and the material in that clip is the material you see him do in that episode.

Yes, the hour-long pilot. What confused me is that the interview on the most recent boxset mentions LD starting a show by saying he would hate to be a Spanish boss because he wouldn't know whether to use the singular or plural form of the second person. As this is mentioned in a different way on those clips I thought it was something that I had never heard before.

Anyway, try this LD interview I found. I don't think it was on the DVD!

LD interview

Here's a couple of other vaguely "interesting" things...

http://ca.geocities.com/fridaysalways/index.htm

http://www.geocities.com/thelostbread/georgemovie.html

Dark Sky

Hey, that was a wonderful interview, thanks for that!

I like the way at the start the interviewer doesn't seem to understand David's jokes and David seems to be a bit narked by that.  But by the end they're tooting each other's nadgers.  That's nice.

Artemis

Well I'm finally going to cave today. I've never seen a CYE in my life but I've been enjoying the Seinfeld sets so much and this thread has pushed me over the edge... I'm going to purchase season one on DVD later. Hopefully I'll be in for some good laughs.

Sam

butnut

Quote from: "Sam"Ooh, ooh. ooh! Just found two blogs that LD wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/larry-david/

Old news matey! Look in 'links to cool things' a few pages back!