Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:29:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Team America

Started by Bamber Hopcraft, October 13, 2004, 10:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treasurecat

Quote from: "jannetty"
QuoteI think you can download Team America at suprnova.org, but the quality is described as 'internal camera', which doesn't sound very good at all. I think I'll just wait till it comes out in the cinema and watch it in all its glory.

It's actually one of the better screeners, well worth a go if you have broadband - the film is dead funny too. It's not really political, just very, very anti-actor - actor's who dared to say anything against the Iraq war that is. The puppets are brilliant too.

Purple Tentacle

Or you could pay to see it properly at the cinema and not be a tramp.

Darrell

Quote from: "treasurecat"It's actually one of the better screeners

A 'screener' is an officially-produced copy sent out to reviewers and journalists.

And yes, go to the bloody cinema.

Rats

Try telling that to the twats who put stuff up there. You often get screeners which are actually telesyncs.
I don't like the stuff they do but this might be ok so long as they have a decent script which is unlikely judging by the clips I've seen.

Rev

Yeah, the version doing the rounds is a ropey cam job with an alright picture but very hissy sound.  I haven't downloaded it personally, but did end up seeing the first two-thirds or so at a friend's place.  Can't say I'll be racing to the cinema to catch the thing in full.  There might be comedy gold hidden near the end, but the first hour is a pretty straight-faced parody of action films, with few actual jokes other than the concept itself.  It looks like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Duckula

I watched the cam version. It's a real guilty pleasure of a comedy. Some moments of utter genius and some that don't quite work.

Needless to say this movie will spawn a whole new set of catchphrases upon the world that will will be funny for the first day.

Until those catchphrases run dry you can suck my cock, cockfags!

Dark Sky

Quote from: "Duckula"Needless to say this movie will spawn a whole new set of catchphrases upon the world that will will be funny for the first day.

Oh, it's just a bit of fun.

treasurecat

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Or you could pay to see it properly at the cinema and not be a tramp.

Have a cup of tea, amigo. It's doesn't open here until next year.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "treasurecat"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Or you could pay to see it properly at the cinema and not be a tramp.
Have a cup of tea, amigo. It's doesn't open here until next year.

Why spoil things for yourself?

clareQuilty

An interesting article on the south park creators personal politics from the libertarian philosopher Lew Rockwells homepage.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig5/cust1.html

*sorry if this has been posted before*

Morrisfan82

Since everyone started talking about Team America being made with puppets, I've been envisaging a sort of Jim Henson type affair:  it was only last night when I saw a quick flash of it on ITV 2am Sarcastic Entertainment News that I realised the film is made with marionettes.

Sorry, as you were.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Saw this a couple of days ago, and thought it was quite fun, but not quite as amazing as it could have been. Certainly better than Orgazmo, but not as good as Bigger... . There's just not enough going on - in SP, Parker andf Stone have to cram so much into 22 minutes, whereas they have lots of time linger on jokes in the film.

Having said all that, the songs are marvellous. Even the one-gag 'I'm So Ronery'. I really, REALLY wish they'd put out an album of all the songs from South Park.

dirkfunk

i saw it last night,

i thought it was great fun,

i had tears rolling down my face during the vomiting scene

such brilliant songs

"Everyone has AIDs"

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "dirkfunk""Everyone has AIDs"

Potentially one-note, but full of lovely lines, cracking piano and superb delivery. And it doesn't outstay it's welcome - it's less than a minute and a half long.

"And so this is the end of the story
And every one is dead from AIDS..."

Morrisfan82

If that's some big gag at the end of the film or something, then thanks for ruining it.

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Muteki"If that's some big gag at the end of the film or something, then thanks for ruining it.

No, its not, relax.

However, if you do stay to listen to the music at the end of the film/credits, it does reveal a new twist to the story about the film's villain.

I saw this last year while over in the United States Of The USA and while i enjoyed it, i do think it is not a patch on SP the movie and the TV show.

The puppetry and sets are beautiful and it all looks fantastic on the screen.

However, it is much better at parodying action films than it is making a politcal statement. In fact, if there is one message i received from the film, its that, at the end of the day the world needs America... which i thought was kinda bullcrap. Ignore the politic that frame the film and enjoy the crass songs, foul language, top puppet action, puppet sex and the 'Pearl Harbour' song, which is my fav from the film.

Thank Crisps that people like Stone and Parker are allowed to make films like this at all!

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Having said all that, the songs are marvellous. Even the one-gag 'I'm So Ronery'. I really, REALLY wish they'd put out an album of all the songs from South Park.

If you mean a Bigger, Longer..... soundtrack, then they did! They're all re-recorded nicely too.

Unfortunately past track 11 it become songs "influenced" by South Park, which is fucking abysmal.

Consignia

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Unfortunately past track 11 it become songs "influenced" by South Park, which is fucking abysmal.

Yeah, I seem remember  to Joe C singing Kyle's Mom Is A  Big Fat Bitch, and it sounding awful, and missing the point  of the original.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Having said all that, the songs are marvellous. Even the one-gag 'I'm So Ronery'. I really, REALLY wish they'd put out an album of all the songs from South Park.

If you mean a Bigger, Longer..... soundtrack, then they did! They're all re-recorded nicely too.

No, the songs from the TV series. Crab People, Taco-Flavored Kisses, the tobacco workers' song - some of my favourite moments from SP.

DuncanC

I was extremely disappointed by this. It all seemed very weak, and more like something the SP guys might've done mid-season 1 than after all the great stuff they've done recently. Their "main issue" (people in Hollywood having an opinion on the War on Terror) isn't something I've ever encountered and their point wasn't at all well "argued" (and in fact felt gigantically hypocritical), the running gags were very weak, the Michael Moore bit was particularly disappointing... in fact it failed in almost all ways for me.

One of the songs was great, though.

TotalNightmare

could we possibly all gather together the songs here and make our own album..

or am i promptly going to get a shouting from someone about sugesting it?

hope not...

Beagle 2

...The following post contains spoilers and that...

I really enjoyed this, definitely thought the premise and execution were strong enough and it kept me giggling away throughout. It does look gorgeous, with some nice gags made out of the, er,  puppet-ness (the "OK, lets make this more interesting..." bit where they flail about fighting), and the music really makes it ('..what would yaoo do-hoo..'). The vomiting scene is classic too, the final retch where the music reaches crescendo, brilliant. The bit that really made me howl though was "do you remember the sign?", which for all the attempted satire and statements was just a "look at the funny dancing puppet" joke.  Loads of brilliant lines ("Hans Brix? Oh nooo...", "Matt Daaamon"), it's just a really funny film, the only slightly dodgy aspect being the vocal portrayal of the terrorists in it, pretty much the equivalent of showing a foreign black person going "ooga booga.." but it was all very much tongue in cheek.

Good stuff.

Maximash

Quote from: "Beagle 2"the only slightly dodgy aspect being the vocal portrayal of the terrorists in it, pretty much the equivalent of showing a foreign black person going "ooga booga.."

Yeah I felt the same, especially watching it with my mother and older sister who, despite what they may try and have me believe, are completely racist towards the kind of person who comes over to our country to exploit our laughable government for free cash and housing the way anyone living in poor conditions with the slightest hint of initiative would do. Sorry, tangent.

MrManson

I enjoyed this movie!

I've got a dud copy though, there seems to be (some / a) scene(s) missing. There's no puppet sex!! Overall though, it's very funny. The puppets work well, exellent scenery, nice dialogue and it didn't drag on.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "MrManson"I enjoyed this movie!

I've got a dud copy though, there seems to be (some / a) scene(s) missing. There's no puppet sex!! Overall though, it's very funny. The puppets work well, exellent scenery, nice dialogue and it didn't drag on.

If you really want puppet sex, get a Ken and a Barbie and rub them together. That's all that scene was, you'd have to be a massive fool to find it really amusing.

weekender

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"If you really want puppet sex, get a Ken and a Barbie and rub them together. That's all that scene was, you'd have to be a massive fool to find it really amusing.

I don't think that's *all* that scene was, to be honest.  I'm not very good at elucidating, but I thought that the funny part was the fact that the two characters were obviously puppets, and the scene *obviously* involved puppet sex, but it lead to funnier moments.  Especially when the puppets started trying to involve more adventurous positions in what is supposed to be their one-night stand...

...I'm not explaining myself very well.  Sorry.

DuncanC

I hear they cut a lot of the racier stuff from that scene. Or was it reinstated over here, where we don't go insane over a nipple out of place? I dunno.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Did you all really find the puppet sex scene funny? Bloody hell. And cut scenes? I thought that was a joke.

Alright, it wasn't just rubbing. Arrange the Ken and Barbie into whatever position you want. It's hilarious!

DuncanC

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Did you all really find the puppet sex scene funny?
Nope, but then I didn't find it a particularly bad bit either. I was just left cold by almost all of it.

weekender

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Alright, it wasn't just rubbing. Arrange the Ken and Barbie into whatever position you want. It's hilarious!

If it was just rubbing, I'm sure 'Barbie' would have loved it.  As it was, the puppet sex scene seemed to play out every cliche about one night stands imaginable, and she was probably let down as a consequence.  As was Ken, probably for the same reasons, although if memory serves he did get to bang her up the puppet arse, so maybe I'm wrong.

To be honest, for me, a lot of the hilarity in that scene came from the exact idea of putting puppets in sex positions.  The puppets took it one step further though, there was nervous talk before and after the event etc.  I'm sure there were other subtle touches as well, but it's been a while since I've seen the film to be honest.  I suspect I'm coming across as a right wanker though, shall I hit 'submit'?  Yeah, why not?  Sorry in advance for whatever I've just said.