Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:18:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Team America

Started by Bamber Hopcraft, October 13, 2004, 10:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrManson

I've not seen the scene, nor am I arsed by it. I'd have prefered to have seen it rather than not seen it.

Anyway, my friends have quoted the 'Promise me you'll never die!!' parts, and I anticipated seeing that. Oh well, I'm sure I will one day... if I have to walk to the ends of the Earth.

kidsick5000

Team America has only just come out over here. Kim Jong Il's "Im Ronery" has been a favourite in the office for a while (and strangley the local news channels correspondent from Taipei sounds just like him)

The only bit that really didnt get a laugh was blowing up panama canal. The scenes of people (well puppets) bei ng washed away in a deluge of water was probably a bit close to home. (we just had a tsunami round here). Okay, there were some giggles when the donkey floated past, but they were stifled ones.

Is the reaction noticably the same in the uk? or anywhere else for that matter

Alberon

Yeah, I noticed the laughs were a bit flat and muted during the Panama Canal scene in a cinema in Reading. Just unfortunate timing really.

Dark Sky

Yeah, everyone I know who saw the film commented on the "tsunami" bit...  Admittedly I don't think that there was supposed to be any joke in that scene other than "hehe look they're puppets drowning" as it was more part of the plot.  Very well done, though.  

Surprised there weren't little signs up warning cinema patrons about the scene though...  After 9/11 I remember seeing lots of little signs everywhere warning people about the shots of Manhattan skyline in "A.I.", in case they found it...upsetting...or something.

dot

I just watched this. It was fucking terrible.

variant

Phil_A

Er, did you just create another account to agree with yourself?

Anyway, you're both wrong. It's an excellent film.

"But I can't out-act Alec Baldwin! He's the greatest actor in the world!"

"Jesus, this is a nice limo." "Yes it is. Now suck my cock."

"Matt Daaaaamon!"

I mean, I could go on.

Harfyyn Teuport

Yeah, I have to say I watched this film and laughed the whole way through. Michael Moore's part was piss, I'll grant you, but I found the whole 'valmorphanising pisstakery' regarding every action movie cliche I've ever seen hilarious, well executed and fantastically done with the models themselves.

dot

Nah, sorry, my friend gave me it, he said it wasn't hillarious but it killed an hour and a half, enjoyable enough. I have to say, I only smiled once, at the motage song "even rocky had a montage" :)

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "dot"Nah, sorry, my friend gave me it, he said it wasn't hillarious but it killed an hour and a half, enjoyable enough. I have to say, I only smiled once, at the motage song "even rocky had a montage" :)

And that was a gag lifted from a season 6 or 7 ep called Asspen, when Stan has to train up for a skiiing contest against the local bully.

Me, i liked the film, but didnt find it too 'laugh out loud' enough.

South Park: B L U still pisses on it from a mountain top.

mayer

Quote from: "dot"Nah, sorry, my friend gave me it, he said it wasn't hillarious but it killed an hour and a half, enjoyable enough. I have to say, I only smiled once, at the motage song "even rocky had a montage" :)

Re-used from South Park that bit. Asspen.

But I loved Team America, giggled throughout!

EDIT: Damn you TN.

Divnee Gan

I loved the "freedom isn't free" song.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Kind of on topic, South Park In Aspen is my favourite ever episode of South Park without a doubt. Everything about it is just brilliant, both plots are really well done and I was pretty much in hysterics from start to finish. Even the opening titles were funny.

Mr. Analytical

That's funny... I think Aspen is by far the funniest ep of south park too.  I was just blown away by it, an absolutely flawless pastiche of that long forgotten 80's genre.

I quite liked Team America but thought that while the piss-take of nationalistic action films was spot on, the political and Hollywood satire frequently misfired (with the exception of what they did to Matt Damon... where did that idea come from?).

It's funnier than Baseball though even if it is nowhere near as funny as BLU.

InfiniteFury

Quote from: "Divnee Gan"I loved the "freedom isn't free" song.

"No, there's a hefty fuckin' fee..."

variant

QuoteEr, did you just create another account to agree with yourself?

no just first thing i've bothered commenting on. i  thought this film was, at best, mildly amusing in places. i like south park and BLU but after watching this i just thought 'what a bunch of horse shit'.