Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:16:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bedazzled DVD

Started by Darrell, January 25, 2005, 03:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butnut

slim

'I preferred the Liz Hurley version.'

<scarpers>

rjd2

Rubs hands in anticipation.

imitationleather

3rd October? Week of my nineteenth birthday...

Christ, such a long way away.

GeeTee

Finally I can ditch one of my last VHS off air tapes......but dont hold your breath....as I've been here too often before, namely with "Danger Diabolik", the only other tape I've been hanging onto pending a DVD release....still waiting...promised and put back throughout last year.....hope this doesnt go the same way......

Nice if they reissued the soundtrack as I've wanted a decent copy of  Cooks anti-love song.....best line, "You fill me with inertia"......heheheheh......

Squidy

Excellent. And, like imitationleather, the 3rd is the Monday before my birthday too. Many happy returns, IL.

"On-location footage" is presumably the black-and-white newsreel footage of the filming of the final scene. Hopefully the whole newsreel will be included unedited with titles, voiceovers and everything. Clips were shown in one of those Carlton documentaries once - Legends: Peter Cook or The Unforgettable Dudley Moore, something like that. That said, scripts held at the BFI indicate that the original international trailers for Bedazzled featured a short clip of Stanley Donen directing on-set, so there may be more of that sort of material in Fox's archives.

"Interview with Peter Cook collaborator John Fortune". Erm, okay. Not complaining or anything, but is there any reason it has to be a John Fortune interview? Why couldn't it be an Eleanor Bron and/or Stanley Donen interview, or even commentary? I doubt the DVD's producers know that they're still alive; do we have time before Oct 3rd to ring 20th Century Fox and suggest some additions to the disc, d'you think?

The original opening scene for Bedazzled, incidentally, had Donen talking directly to the audience about how he was refusing to show the film as it was promoting evil, and that we would be sitting through a three-hour long Canadian travelogue instead. Peter Cook's Satan then appears over his shoulder and whispers into his ear, "Think of the money, Stanley...", which makes Donen reconsider and the film's opening titles begin. Don't think this opening was ever shot, however.

GeeTee: Did some obscure vinyl company not reissue the soundtrack a few years back at a semi-ridiculous price?

Neil

Wow!

Quote from: "Squidy"The original opening scene for Bedazzled, incidentally, had Donen talking directly to the audience about how he was refusing to show the film as it was promoting evil, and that we would be sitting through a three-hour long Canadian travelogue instead. Peter Cook's Satan then appears over his shoulder and whispers into his ear, "Think of the money, Stanley...", which makes Donen reconsider and the film's opening titles begin. Don't think this opening was ever shot, however.

Wow again!  

The album goes for ridiculous prices, one of the posters on here spent between £50 and £100 on it recently.  Extremely glad to hear this is finally getting a DVD release, brilliant news.  Is it true that Lin Cook was blocking it (I know she's meant to have blocked other stuff, but this specifically?)  If so, any idea why she's suddenly relented?  Could it be something to do with the renewed interest in Cook of late?   Perhaps those talking heads/list shows have finally helped do achieve worthwhile.

Darrell

Quote from: "Neil"The album goes for ridiculous prices, one of the posters on here spent between £50 and £100 on it recently.

It does. The value of an original release was about £60 a couple of years ago, and is now a baffling £300. The briefly-available CD put out by Harkit Records a few years ago was quite dreadfully balanced, with tracks hugely biased to one side of the speaker and rather uneven track volumes. I released a 'fixed' version of this as an MP3 set at some point, I think you have it.

GeeTee

£300 for a soundtrack!...thats true dedication.....

So, obviously no demand for such a thing then....

Funnily enough the other film I mentioned in my post "Danger Diabolik" is also missing its official Morricone soundtrack, also released by various dodgy companies in appalling quality and sold for silly prices....the masters for that were apparently burnt in a warehouse fire....hope Bedazzled masters didnt go that way....

Another suggestion for extra-extra's to 20th C-Fox....a separate music track? Better than John "McDonalds" Fortune anyday.

Darrell

Roobarb's are now reporting that the release has been brought forward to May, and that the disc also features an interview with Barry Humphries. They haven't finished the special features yet, seemingly...

clareQuilty

http://rapidshare.de/files-en/517089/1-10_The_Horned_One.mp3.html

I put this in the comedy du jour thread , but  I think it's better placed here.

jutl

Anyone else buy this? The picture quality was better than I was expecting.

Jemble Fred

Is it indeed? Well that really makes up for all the missing...

Actually, no. I don't think anybody wants to get into another 'Picture/Sound Quality Vs Special features' debate. But tchah.

jutl

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Is it indeed? Well that really makes up for all the missing...

Actually, no. I don't think anybody wants to get into another 'Picture/Sound Quality Vs Special features' debate. But tchah.

I'm just delighted to have a watchable copy.

Jemble Fred

Fair dues. I'm wondering whether it's worth shelling out to hear Barry Humphries' opinion on his few seconds of screentime when I have a perfectly good NTSC video.

jutl

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Fair dues. I'm wondering whether it's worth shelling out to hear Barry Humphries' opinion on his few seconds of screentime when I have a perfectly good NTSC video.

It is funny, and twenty four minutes long (with a few clip inserts).

A short clip

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Bedazzled is a beautiful-looking film. Therefore, the picture quality is important.

I just can't see how anyone can disagree with this. I mean, good picture quality doesn't make it funnier...but it enhances your aesthetic appreciation of the film. Is that a strange thing to be in favour of?

Jemble Fred

Yes, but the picture quality is perfect on my NTSC video. If there is a visual difference between that and the DVD's picture, it's certainly not enough to add any value to the film whatsoever. Picture quality's quite important, but only if you're talking 'DVD quality VS a fuzzy old VHS'. If it's a clear picture, with clear sound, then that's all that matters.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

A DVD sourced from a proper film print will be substantially better than even the best VHS copy though. You don't have to be an artefact-obsessed perfectionist to appreciate that there's a huge difference.

I know there's a lot of twats out there who watch DVDs and can talk about nothing except the picture quality (and the colour of the spines), but I think the improvement in picture quality is one of the main reasons why DVD is a fantastic invention. Never mind films - the chance to watch old sitcoms in pin-sharp broadcast quality is something that thrills me a huge amount.

Jemble Fred

Well, perhaps it's an eye thing. My videos are pin-sharp. If they didn't have a clear picture, I wouldn't bother watching them.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Well, perhaps it's an eye thing. My videos are pin-sharp.

You do realise magic mushrooms are now illegal, don't you?

Jemble Fred

Ah, is that what mushrooms are supposed to do? I've never had enough to properly find out.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

'Wow man, it's like I'm actually in Eleanor Bron's nostril...'

sproggy

So where was the DVD video sourced?

I was under the impression this film had been deleted years ago and the only decent source was from NTSC stock.

Or am I talking bollocks, etc...

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I saw a print of it at the NFT in 1997 - lovely colour, but a fair few jumps here and there. So I've no idea where the DVD came from.