Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:34:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

8 and a half cats

Started by gigolo aunts aren't gentlemen, June 03, 2005, 09:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I thought i'd watch this because it had simon amstell sean locke and, ha, richard madeley, but apparently a jimmy carr vehicle won't even allow these people to be funny.  Anyone else watching? and the jokes are all prepared.uch.
EDIT: Not only is there another thread about this but i got the name wrong as well. i am sorry.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Not actually as bad as I thought...

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

I'm unashamedly enjoying this!

there are some good moments, the people i mentioned before are always reliable for one or two moments, and sean locke is a great choice for a captain. but jimmy sodding carr and his stupid house of wax face are ruining it for me, i can't get past it.
i love richard madely though, i love him very much indeed.
EDIT: this thread is sort of symmetrical like, it goes me ICA!, ICA! me. huh.

TotalNightmare

i enjoyed it too.

A bit like a cross between Have i Got News For You and Family Fortunes.

However, you do feel as though half of the stand up acts are trying to cram in some of their own gags.

For now, i will watch it again.

benthalo

Beat The Nation meets a bucket of shit.

The Mumbler

Theme tune by Suede's Mat Osman!   And his brother Richard (Boyz Unlimited!!! Christ) as executive producer.

Dan Gaster, Shaun Pye, Charlie Skelton and Jimmy Carr writing it.

I watched it with the sound off.  That'll teach me to be out of the room for the first minute of Heimat.  (On tape though.)

Godzilla Bankrolls

Did they get Richard Madeley on just so Jim Shelley will give it the thumbs up?

Hes like alun partridge lol

lankinpark

More laughs than I was expecting. Even Jimmy Carr seemed taken aback by "twist his head and he's full of sweets". Often these things start off with promising guests and deteriorate, but since most of the laughs came from Sean Lock, that's not an issue here.

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"However, you do feel as though half of the stand up acts are trying to cram in some of their own gags.

I have no problem with Sean Lock cramming his gags into any situation.

Regular John

They were teasing Sarah Beeny on the ads but the lovely Mel Giedroyc was a decent substitute.

It was pretty good, minimal Carr and plenty of laughs from the panelists!

Morrisfan82

Sean Lock was excellent, Dave Spikey was OK, the rest was pretty-much mulch. The format's surprisingly alright though.

I think 8 And a Half Cats is an excellent programme title. :)

Big Jack McBastard

Southerners are 5 times more likely to.............. than northerners.

Now I may be alone in this but "Celebrate Pimms o'clock" is possibly the funniest answer there could have been to that. Who was that young lad on Spikey's team? He was promising.

Sean Lock did well too, as always.

Spikey seemed to be crow-barring in his lines from his stand up a bit too often but other than that (and Carr of course) it was passable.

Quote from: "Big Jack McBastard"Now I may be alone in this but "Celebrate Pimms o'clock" is possibly the funniest answer there could have been to that. Who was that young lad on Spikey's team? He was promising.

Simon Amstell.

The Mumbler

"This was a party political broadcast on behalf of Channel 4."

benthalo

QuoteSimon Amstell.

Poor bastard's getting some seriously bad advice right now, as anyone can see from The Morning After Show. He should be banned from late night panel games before he does himself damage.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

People always seem amazed that Amstell's been doing Popworld for five years. As if there's something suspicious about his desire to continue doing what he's good at and not climb the career ladder. 'But...but...surely he wants to direct?'

Jemble Fred

Sean Lock's Catholic joke was the best, most finely delivered gag I've heard so far this decade - seriously. That's about it.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Sean Lock's Catholic joke was the best, most finely delivered gag I've heard so far this decade - seriously. That's about it.

What was it?

Jemble Fred

Well, in text I'm sure it won't be the same - you have to have his cheeky delivery. But anyway...

"I used to be a Catholic. But then I thought - 'hang on, I'm in a lil wooden box, talking dirty to an Irishman who's never had sex!'"

It just echoed in my head at two minute intervals throughout Friday night and I for one buckled with mirth every single time.

Sid8800

I also expected FAQ U style badness, but this wasn't bad. I actually don't mind carr, but he is on TV too much.

Utter Shit

Thought it was really good. Everyone moans about Jimmy Carr but his role in this show was essentially to laugh at Sean Lock's gags, and he did it just fine. Lock is the man. Simply a funny, funny bastard. Very impressed with this, hope it continues in the same vain. That fella on Amstell/Spikey's team was a bit irritating, although his answer to that "80% of teenagers don't know ____" question made me laugh, even though it was obvious.

Almost Yearly

Well, you know, it killed time while Mary got ready to leave :-)

I suppose Schrodinger's is half a cat, in a way.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Anyone see that? Someone said something about the bombing and Janet Street Porter had a go at them. I'm really surprised that wasn't edited, although Sean Lock then made the 'this is all going to be edited out' joke which is made about once or twice every episode of any comedy quiz or chat show. See: Nevermind the Buzzcocks, Friday Night with Jonathon Ross.

Darrell

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Anyone see that? Someone said something about the bombing and Janet Street Porter had a go at them.

It was "bumming"...

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Everyone on this show's awful, including Sean Lock. Dreary 00s comedy on autopilot - get it off my TV.

DuncanC

I have to agree. Utterly abysmal. I watched it for the first time tonight and, for fuck's sake. It's like they took to the worst round of a panel show that was killed at the pilot stage and somehow stretched it into a whole series.

The Mumbler

Still going?  How, for God's sake?  I saw the first one, and it was so inconsequential I couldn't believe it.  How on earth have we reached a point where people go "Yeah, but Sean Lock's good in it"?  John Cleese was in Will & Grace recently, but it doesn't mean Will & Grace is any good.

As for the game, Family Fortunes is a lot funnier, and a better idea too.

dumpster

What happened to Dave Spikey's Man Utd joke tonight?  It seemed to set up a situation where he's sat drinking whiskey with a footballer, then it obviously cut to someone else!

Mr. Analytical

It's particularly poor as far as panel shows go and it's also unbearably smug.  Everyone's convinced that they're hilarious and there's no sly wit to the programme... no sharp edges.  Just shit observational comedy and smugness from a collection of second rate talents.

I  saw some of Mock the week the other day and while that was unoriginal and dull recycling at least it had some decent talent there.

supertarn

i went to see this being filmed a couple of weeks ago with some mates , after getting free tickets on the web . It was a lot of fun even if the program is admittedly a bit on the shit side . What surprised me was how the show went on for over 3 hrs , and how they cut that down to 22 mins . Well the answer to that is they remove all traces of humor  , as the funniest bits were cut out , and a lot of light racism between Carr , Lock , Spikey and some american camp guy who no one had ever heard of.

A great moment came when we saw the first names of the surprise guests on the autocue , one of which was laurence . We tried as hard as we could to think of another laurence who would hopefully be on the show rather than llewelyn bowen, but it was impossible , and to our horror out he came.

Still , he kept himself relatively quiet.