Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:42:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Bear's fucking Tail

Started by Purple Tentacle, July 08, 2005, 09:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Tentacle

Sigh.  Go on then.  Who's going to submit to the inevitable and watch this then?

Yes, I am judging it before it's been shown, live with it girlfriend.

The thing is, I'm a bit scared I might like it.  I just laughed twice at "8 Out Of 10 Cats", and one of those was at Jimmy Carr. God have mercy......

Frinky

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle""8 Out Of 10 Cats"

The two team Captains are always reliable for a laugh, I thought. Why the fuck Aaron Carr or whatever his name is is still getting work is beyond me, though. I mean, really.

Is it cos he's camp? Is that the joke! Hark at the camp man with the bad teeth!

SurferGhost

I have no choice but to watch it, it's one of the joys of having joint custody of a teenage son. I must buy the little sod a telly of his own. I'm as sure as hell going to keep my back turned to it until it's over, as God is my witness. As for 8 Out of 10 Cats, didn't we agree it was alright to watch it so long as we turned over every time Sean Lock wasn't speaking?

QuoteHark at the camp man with the bad teeth!
Yes?

EDIT: I do apologise, I forgot this was CC.

Paul Dee

Can I be the 6th person to say that I'm surprised this even got made?

Divnee Gan

hehe. I was scared to start a thread about this earlier on incase everyone said "we know it's going to be shit!"

imitationleather

Wow, this makes Bo' Selecta! look good!

Almost.

Still, it's a fucking embarrassment, isn't it?

Purple Tentacle

Right. That's quite enough of that, thank you.

Let me know if it suddenly turns into Yes Minister will you?

imitationleather

Woah there! Is that... Jon Culshaw?!

Regular John

Divnee Gan

This thread will hold a record for sinking faster than any other new comedy series thread. 'Nuff said.

Lee

First half... I've given up already. Cack.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Divnee Gan"This thread will hold a record for sinking faster than any other new comedy series thread. 'Nuff said.

I hope not.  I want to read disgusted and aghast reactions in it every week so I can loathe the show by proxy.

I turned off during the fucking ET bit by the way.

imitationleather

Yeah, it should tide us over until the second series of The Friday Night Project.

Divnee Gan

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"

I turned off during the fucking ET bit by the way.

I think that's maybe the problem. No-one on here can watch it long enough to slate it. ;0)

imitationleather

No, Dermot. Nooooooooo!

If anyone wants me, I'll be cutting myself in the bathroom.

Oh bollocks, there's a massive queue of all the other 'whores there.

The Mumbler

I'm not watching it, but is it worth drawing a comparison with Caroline Aherne being talked into doing another series of The Mrs. Merton Show so that The Royle Family could get made?  Because Leigh Francis apparently didn't want to do the last series of Bo'Selecta - so at least I agree with him on something.  (Except I didn't want him to do the first two series either.  Or A Bear's Tale, come to that.)

Lee

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Because Leigh Francis apparently didn't want to do the last series of Bo'Selecta
That explains all the self-depricating comments from the third series.

EDIT: That Peter Kay Thing's on after this, if you need to recover.

Divnee Gan

Just laughed more watching Ardal o'Hanlon for two minutes on BBC 1.

Paul Dee

Still...laughter-track. And it's not field-removed... So count your blessings

This is me after flicking over for 30 painful seconds. Christ.

The Mumbler

Rather enjoying the Dee/O'Hanlon thing, actually.  Although I wish Dee wouldn't do the "Which celebs have we got in the audience tonight?" bollocks.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Paul Dee"Still...laughter-track. And it's not field-removed... So count your blessings

This is me after flicking over for 30 painful seconds. Christ.

Isn't the laughter deliberately canned?  Always used to be on Bo'Selecta. (Well, the one and a bit episodes I ever stomached.)

mayer

I'm sorry to wade in here, because I'm not watching this either, but the notion of anyone who's ever seen Bo Selecta deliberately choosing to watch this is already making me smile more than the one episode of that I forced myself through.

imitationleather

The laughter wasn't canned on Bo' Selecta!. VLS (who loved the show, incidentally) once wrote about going to one of those screening things where the audience's laughing is recorded.

Paul Dee

Quote from: "mayer"I'm sorry to wade in here, because I'm not watching this either, but the notion of anyone who's ever seen Bo Selecta deliberately choosing to watch this is already making me smile more than the one episode of that I forced myself through.

Says the man who bought the last Oasis album ;)

The Mumbler

God, I'm really surprised by that.  I almost never make the claim about canned laughter, but I remember the laughter on Bo'Selecta sounding a bit suspect to me, because a) it was always quite a quiet laugh-track and b) each burst of laughter sounded remarkably uniform, a bit like the laugh-track you got on Hanna Barbera cartoons like The Flintstones.

mayer

Says the man who loved the last Oasis LP, and saw much merit in the two less-than-brillant ones that preceded it :-).

Now, if I buy the second Keane LP, then I truly am a glutton for punishment.

butnut

Quote from: "The Mumbler"God, I'm really surprised by that.  I almost never make the claim about canned laughter, but I remember the laughter on Bo'Selecta sounding a bit suspect to me, because a) it was always quite a quiet laugh-track and b) each burst of laughter sounded remarkably uniform, a bit like the laugh-track you got on Hanna Barbera cartoons like The Flintstones.

Apart from shows like the Flintstones, what shows have had canned laughter? I know all shows today always claim to record in front of an audience. What was the last show that didn't?

(I'm trying to get something positive out of this thread!)

butnut

Oh, here's a partial answer to my own question - a history of laugh tracks:

http://www.tvparty.com/laugh.html

The Mumbler

I don't think there's been one for years, not even in America where some people think most of them are.  But I do remember shows like Soap (which began in 1977) and Cheers (1982) used to make a point of announcing that they were "filmed/taped before a live studio audience" which does suggest that a fair few sitcoms from around the same period weren't.

Divnee Gan

Quote from: "mayer"I'm sorry to wade in here, because I'm not watching this either, but the notion of anyone who's ever seen Bo Selecta deliberately choosing to watch this is already making me smile more than the one episode of that I forced myself through.

You're saying that we haven't got a life for commenting on Bears Tale?
You're right. :)