Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:58:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Thursday Night Comedy on BBC2

Started by EOLAN, July 22, 2005, 04:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOLAN

So how owuld everyone rate the three programmes as part of BBC2 comedy Night. Here's mine

#1: Absolute Power: Best by a long shot, made me laugh on numerous occasions. Surprisingly I found the interaction between the office workers much funnier than the Fry -Bird bits, though they were still better than other 2/

#2: Extras: Ok. Nothing brilliant. Was a bit cynical watching it and probably contributed to me not laughing much. Got a feeling that the celebrity characters are going to take on a lot of the characteristics of David Brent - as Ben Stiller did in his - "
what can I do for the poor girl - Yes we can watch DodgeBall for a 2nd time, she will laugh, spot new bits. It's multi-layered like that."

#3 Catherine Tate show: Saw clips before - Thought it was awful. Absoultely no humour, embarrassing and cringing. How people think its great I can't see. Couple of minutes last night I saw reinstated these feelings.

dot

I turned off after extras. I might be stupid enough to sit through that but I'm not braindead.

Mister Cairo

Absolute Power was excellent, let`s hope Charles Clarke was watching. Although I didn`t find the "he`s shagged everyone in the room" sub-plot office romance at all funny.

The scariest thing is, I can imgaine the main plot happening in real life

Tate I found a mixed bag. I thought the "Nan" sketch was deeply unfunny and repellent "Hah, she`s so mental she eats her own shit". The schoolgirl who winds the teacher up had a touch of the Pollard. I wouldnt have sat through it if it wasnt between Extras and AP

Extras I found pretty funny

Ghostpickle

I'm shallow and only watched Absolute Power for Zoe Telford.

However it did contain a great visual gag about a David and Victoria Beckham book called 'Thick and Thin'.

hands cold, liver warm

extras was pretty ho hum. I laughed twice, at the herman munster line and the bit were ben stiller was showing the nazis how to beat up the old woman. Otherwise it was rubbish. I'll keep on watching though because I think it has potential - the first episodes of new series always tend to be a bit shaky.

catherine tate was awful, really awful. Nothing remotely funny and a lot of the gags were just about mental illness, farts and ginger people. How very unfunny. She is a good actress but there was not one amusing thing to happen in 30 minutes of comedy. cack.

absolute power was the best of a bad bunch, although a lot of my hopes were ruined by the presence of nathan bleedin barley. Bird and fry are always good performers but the material didn't have many laugh out loud moments. I want to watch it again but next time without my mood being ruined by 30 minutes of catherine tate.

TotalNightmare

Sadly, Thursday night has now become a battle between Fry and Laurie.

At 10pm, BBC2 shows Absolute Power with Stephen Fry and FIVE shows House with Hugh Laurie.

For me, watching House pisses on Ab Pow (you can have that one for free The Radio Times!) as Hugh is just stunning in that role. Without his acting and that character, House would just be CSI:Local Clinic.

As much as i enjoyed Ab Pow in the first season (i remember the last ep being VERY good indeed for some reason), i think it works harder on being twisty-turny than being funny.

So in this game, Hugh Laurie - 1, Stephen Fry - 0.

Dreck

Quote from: "EOLAN"#3 Catherine Tate show: Saw clips before - Thought it was awful. Absoultely no humour, embarrassing and cringing. How people think its great I can't see. Couple of minutes last night I saw reinstated these feelings.

Amen to that.I need another Little Britain like I need to dig up Sid James and eat his balls.And there will be another Little Britain.Where's my shovel?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Estherrantzenasstomouthcumshot.mpg

Johnny Yesno

Extras I quite liked. Gervais was pretty much his usual self and you either like that or you don't. I quite liked the argument at the end about whether kissing someone for an acting role counts as real kissing. I also enjoyed the exchange that went:

Gervais: I remember you were in Starsky and Hutch. Which one were you?
Stiller: Was that supposed to be a joke?
Gervais: I dunno. You were in it.

Catherine Tate I avoided because I absolutely hated the first series.

Absolute Power was great. The "people who are pleased Britain has no ID cards" ads made me laugh as did the ID lottery scheme they finally came up with. Very plausible. I'm looking forward to this week's episode.