Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:25:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Galaxy Quest

Started by humanleech, July 23, 2005, 07:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humanleech

Hi!newhere
Having just watched the film 'Galaxy Quest' for the 2nd time, I came to search this site to find it has never been mentioned once! Which is bizarre because it's an almost perfect gem of a movie, brilliant conception and brilliant execution. I'm very fussy about my comedy, but I'd put it up there with Spinal Tap and Airplane. The detail is perfect, far more subtle than any other comedy sci-fi I've seen, the effects are wonderful and funny... etc. etc. The mix of real life and tv serial and their eventual merging into one is so damn clever.
Surely people as informed as yourselves should surely know this. <g>

Maybe the film is invisible to everybody iPn the world except me!

Big Jack McBastard

Well from what I can remember it was aaallllriiiiiighhhht I suppose.

I do remember Sigourney Weaver made me do a double take when she turned up.

I think the inclusion of Tim The Tool Man Taylor put a bit of a dampener on it for me.

El Unicornio, mang

Didn't Galaxy Quest steal it's storyline almost directly from The Three Amigos (another underrated comedy gem)? That of a group of film stars recruited for a dangerous mission under the misapprehension that what they do is real

Hairy Chin

The part i remember most is the bad dubbing of Sigourney Weaver's obvious "fuck that!" to "screw that!" when looking at the ludicrously dangerous corridor. I can't remember why it was dangerous, just the bad dubbing.

Hairy Chin

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Didn't Galaxy Quest steal it's storyline almost directly from The Three Amigos (another underrated comedy gem)? That of a group of film stars recruited for a dangerous mission under the misapprehension that what they do is real
But it was in space so it was more interesting!

I'm sorry, I don't get to make many Futurama references in 'real life'.

Ken Oath

Quote from: "Big Jack McBastard"it was aaallllriiiiiighhhht I suppose.
Oi! I was going to say that.

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Didn't Galaxy Quest steal it's storyline almost directly from The Three Amigos (another underrated comedy gem)? That of a group of film stars recruited for a dangerous mission under the misapprehension that what they do is real
Oi! I was going to say that too. Ya buggers, stealing my opinions.
Get out of my head! GET OUT OF MY HEAD! [/Chris Griffin]

Hans Resist

Starts to go down the path of taking itself seriously in the last act though, doesn't it? But it has that lovely kind of Ghostbusters/Back To The Future atmosphere that you really don't get very often anymore.

TotalNightmare

The film, to me, does feel like its from the 'golden age of the hollywood blockbuster'.

Its something films like Saraha (which may not be liked much on these boards, but i thought it was a lot of fun) have in spades. A silly plot, fun characters, nice lines of dialogue and the feeling it is JUST a film and feels like one once its done.

I know that last bit makes sense, but some films dont look like films, but made for tv specials with Buffy style special effects..

what was my point?

oh yea, i liked Galaxy Quest...

..but then, i like Evolution, so what the fuck do i know.

Frinky

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"i like Evolution

The poor man's Ghostbusters.

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Frinky"
Quote from: "TotalNightmare"i like Evolution

The poor man's Ghostbusters.

Oh god, i know, i know!

Sob Whinge Cry

Its just that i was never going to get Ghostbusters 3 and i needed a fix, i mean... its SO similar in plot and structure, its got Dan Ackroyd, directed by Ivan Reitman...

Oh god what have i done?

Im sorry

Sob Cry Whinge Whimper Blubber Howl Cry

Catalogue Trousers

"By Thorgar's Mighty Hammer...what a BARGAIN."

Brilliant.

Deadman97

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"
Its just that i was never going to get Ghostbusters 3 and i needed a fix, i mean... its SO similar in plot and structure, its got Dan Ackroyd, directed by Ivan Reitman...
But the last twenty minutes were a shampoo advert! Has there ever been as utterly rancid and shocking a piece of product placement?

dirkfunk

i do believe it's "By Grabthar's hammer, what a savings"

sorry

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Deadman97"
Quote from: "TotalNightmare"
But the last twenty minutes were a shampoo advert! Has there ever been as utterly rancid and shocking a piece of product placement?

Any film with the words...

Care Bear
Pokemon
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Transformers

or a theme park ride...

But yes, it was the worst in film advert i have seen, in fact you could say it stands 'head and shoulders' above the rest!?!? eh? eh?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha

i have to go lie down now.

Harfyyn Teuport

You might say it's Mars Snickers Dairy Milk Twix.