Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:24:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The tragic story of diminishing returns-turns-turns (fades into nothing)

Started by eluc55, July 25, 2005, 03:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eluc55

There is a problem with all comedy, great and good, the tragic problem of diminishing returns.

Brass eye - in my view one of the most superb comedies ever written - and yet, my love for that program, my countless viewings of it, alone and with like-minded people, have finally resulted in a sad apathy towards the humour - I simply cannot get the same pleasure from it, even after months without watching it - the same problem I now have with  simpsons episodes (even classic ones), and other much-loved shows I can't think of just now.

But there are other, more frightening effects.

The few sketches which I never liked that much now sully my view of each episode, dragging on for longer than ever before. Even the brilliant wordplay and satirical styling s(i.e. the way the whole thing parodies current affairs programmes) leave me dead - or even worse, forcing a smile because I know, on principle, what I'm listening to is great.
The only thing I can compare this to, is when you watch a show you like with someone who doesn't like it, and you end up noticiung the flaws much more and under-appreciating the great bits

I know it's not that I've 'moved on' from Morris' work - I only recently heard his radio one shows, and I laughed out loud throughout most of them -it's the tragic story of diminishing returns - and I've returned countless times and could quote most of it to within an inch of its life (which stangely still brings a smile to my face, even though the real thing rarely does anymore) .

So, then. I've bleated on long enough.

Has anyone else found this - and with what programmes?

Bernard

Yes. The solution is to resist watching it more than once or twice and try to cherish the memories alone, is it not. Fat chance though.

Bert Thung

I leave yearly gaps between watching Fawlty Towers or Laurel & Hardy.

Labian Quest

Surely it's the same with anything you enjoy or get a buzz out of it, sooner or later you will become desensitized to it. I suppose you have to constantly seek out new frontiers etc.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I think the first time you watch something you laugh, the second time you laugh at the stuff you hadn't noticed the first time...and the third time onwards, you tend to just admire it, in the same way that you might admire a painting. That's my experience, anyway.