Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:17:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Garrison Keillor's Radio Show

Started by Morgan, July 25, 2005, 09:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgan

I've done a quick search in comedy chat for this and haven't found anything, hope I've not missed a thread which has covered this.  How many of you listen to the brilliant 'Garrison Keillor's Radio Show' on BBC7 on Saturdays?  I know some absolute comic gems are usually broadcast in the 12-1 slot during weekdays, but I honestly think this is one of the best things to be heard on BBC7; absolutely charming and sometimes downright hilarious, and certainly not the sort of thing which we're used to hearing in the UK.

After a brief bit of googling it appears it is known in America as 'A Prairie Home Companion', and that the show we get is a one-hour repackaging.  One obvious highlight is 'Guy Noir', a fictional detective, but more notable is the 'news from Lake Wobegon', a place which although made up is pretty much Garrison just saying what he's done this week.  

I just really love the show;  a great deal of it isn't even comedy; one week, for instance, he decided to just recite the whole of 'The Raven'.  And that's not even to mention the numerous bluegrass and folk bands he has playing in between skits; Garrison just seems to do what the hell he likes.  And it's brilliant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Prairie_Home_Companion

R. Sparts

'The Prairie Home Companion' has been running for many, many years and has spawned several related books centred around life in Lake Wobegone.

Morgan

Why thank you very much for recognising my fucking existence.