Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:30:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC bugger up Volume 2 of Hancock's Half Hour

Started by Emergency Lalla Ward Ten, August 07, 2005, 02:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

By mistakenly mastering the 1986 re-edit of The New Nose, rather than the full version which was repeated in 1997. Details here: http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/index.php?s=5c2b7f53b4d086ad3d5b96f346b4ef0a&showtopic=6956&st=0

The New Nose is the only episode on the Volume 2 DVD which had previously been released (in its truncated version). Which is worrying, because Volumes 3 and 4 will contain lots of previously-released-in-short-versions episodes: will these be cut too?

Worth a letter to BBC Worldwide/2 Entertain, anyway. Roobarb's are suggesting the full New Nose could go as an extra on a later volume too.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"BBC Worldwide/2 Entertain

Actually, what is that 2 Entertain thing about? Noticed the logo on some of the new discs - just interested that's all.

jutl

If the differences are just a new logo on the titles and some screwing about with edit points (ie no actual material lost) then it's not too bad surely? All the old Hancock's look frantically shit anyway.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

No, there's loads of little cuts, as paulvasquez lists on the thread:

1. The initial part of the opening titles have been remade on the dvd version.

2. The BBC2 version opens with a lingering shot of Hancock's front door before cutting to the spinning record; the dvd version cuts straight to the spinning record.

3. As Hancock exits the cafe having rebuked the 2 chatting women the BBC2 version continues to show their reaction the his comments (a line or 2 each); the dvd version cuts as soon as he exits.

4. As Sid and the barman exit the bar, the BBC2 version lingers on the empty glasses at the end of the bar after they've left; the dvd version cuts straight to the next scene. No dialogue missing though.

5. In the BBC2 version Hancock is given the surgeon's business card, we see him read it out and then it cuts to a lingering shot of the surgery door; on the dvd we don't see Hancock read out the card - the scene has been shortened by lifting out the dialogue and dubbing it over the lingering shot of the surgery door.

6. As Hancock exits the surgeon's office having made the appointment for his new nose to be done, the BBC2 version shows Ronnie Fraser coming in and asking the surgeon for his new "Elvis Presley", we see John Le Mes' reaction and it then cuts to a look at the clock above the operating theatre; the dvd version cuts the scene as Hancock exits and trims the very beginning of the next scene too, so the whole Ronnie Fraser/John Le Mes bit has gone.

7. As Hancock unveils his new nose to Sid, the BBC2 version gives him a slightly longer speech about what the birds will be doing when they see his new nose and then cuts to a lingering shot of Hancock's front door and a "That Evening" caption, followed bya shot of the spinning record; the dvd cuts the end of the speech (approx a sentence/comment) and goes straight to the spinning record.

8. The BBC2 version has the 'cartoon/caricature' version of the closing credits; the dvd version has the remade ones based around photos and credits appearing around the letter "H".

Bert Thung

Why does "Succession - Son and Heir" keep on being the one 'Hancock' missed out of the Video/DVD releases. I think it's fantastic. Is their a reason?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Bert Thung"Why does "Succession - Son and Heir" keep on being the one 'Hancock' missed out of the Video/DVD releases. I think it's fantastic. Is their a reason?

No idea. I've always wondered why it's the only show in Series 7 not to be a household name - especally since it went out the week after The Blood Donor, meaning it must have had huge ratings.

The old 'Very Best of Hancock' video/DVD is just Series 7 bar The Succession. It was probably dropped either because (a) no one remembers it, or (b) the other five had already been passed by the BBFC and they didn't have the budget to get a new episode passed.

There's no problem with it clearance-wise, since it was included on the Hancock: A Celebration audio CD. I expect to see it as part of this new set of DVD releases anyway.

Bert Thung

Roger Wilmut slags it off in his Hancock book. But then again, he slags off The Blood Donor too.