Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:23:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Indiana Jones V

Started by St_Eddie, April 09, 2018, 07:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

Quote from: popcorn on April 24, 2018, 08:38:30 AM
I was responding to a post asking for the feelings about the films from people who didn't grow up with the franchise. I reckon I did an amazing job.

Yeah, not bad mate!
Interesting.  I've rewatched them all recently and enjoyed them immensely.  Not seen them for at least a decade before now.

Even Skull has some good moments.

Wet Blanket

Raiders is ace. I don't buy that 'it's a bad plot because Indy isn't directly involved with the action' Big Bang Theory criticism. He's still the linking device to all the shit that goes down on screen.

momatt

I do think that Indy is sort of irrelevant to the plot, he even helps the Nazis in a way.  But I don't think that makes it a bad plot.
It's still a fantastic adventure film, just reflecting the utter futility of existence, so matter how hard we struggle.  lol

Kane Jones

Raiders is one of the best movies ever made and the Indy films are waaaay better than Star Wars. Christ, some of you are rubbish at this.

momatt

Star Wars > Indiana Jones >> Kane Jones

biggytitbo

Indiana Jones > East Area Rapist > Star Wars

Dr Rock

I don't see Disney offering $4m for the tired Indy franchise.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kane Jones on April 24, 2018, 04:21:55 PM
Raiders is one of the best movies ever made and the Indy films are waaaay better than Star Wars. Christ, some of you are rubbish at this.

Correctamundo.

colacentral

I agree that none of the Indy films are close to perfect, and that Last Crusade is probably the best.

I think Raiders' action is pretty clunky in places, specifically the early cabin fire scene and the scene with all the hiding in baskets. The later stuff with the tanks etc is great though.

Temple of Doom just doesn't know what it wants to be - it has the most annoying and shrill supporting characters of the original three films, jarring against a really dark tone. I feel like they were made so broad to balance out that darkness but it doesn't work for me.

And it's that jarring quality that makes the darkness seem so misjudged - it has an uncanny quality that happens when too much darkness is brought into something that is still ostensibly appealing to kids via a character like Short Round, like for example the horror of devil scene in The Adventures of Mark Twain, or those fake Peppa Pig videos. The Empire Strikes Back worked because it balanced that darkness much more deftly.

I have gone back and forth on Last Crusade, sometimes thinking it's fairly weak, but the last time I saw it I enjoyed it the most out of the three. I think Sean Connery being the best supporting character goes a long way, as I hated all of the sidekicks in the first two (except for the monkey).

Star Wars and ESB are better than any Indy film, though Indy has a few individual scenes that outshine every Star Wars. All 3 original Indy films are better than ROTJ though.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 25, 2018, 11:00:06 PM

Crystal Skull was a humongous global hit, easily the most successful film of the 4. I imagine that is the only reason they're doing another one with Ford before rebooting it.

Dr Rock

Whatever, The Indy films are good fun, but Star Wars (OT only) are miles better.

biggytitbo

None of the Star Wars films are fit to lick the boots of the first 3, and Raiders especially. They're so much better directed its night and day.

Dr Rock

Star Wars is just better overall. By miles.

phantom_power

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 26, 2018, 08:20:39 AM
None of the Star Wars films are fit to lick the boots of the first 3, and Raiders especially. They're so much better directed its night and day.

Raiders is definitely better directed and it is a close thing I think but I prefer Star Wars. That may be because I prefer sci-fi to adventure serials though

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: colacentral on April 26, 2018, 01:03:58 AM
Temple of Doom just doesn't know what it wants to be - it has the most annoying and shrill supporting characters of the original three films, jarring against a really dark tone.
Kate Capshaw is reeeeeeally bloody annoying in it. I've seen her in other stuff and she's all tough and steely - like a poor man's Sigourney Weaver - so she was clearly acting that way on purpose. I remember Empire magazine did a retrospective review that said she was the best of Indy's sidekicks/love interest, which is just clearly bollocks.

momatt

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 25, 2018, 11:00:06 PM

That'd be quite a bargain.

AsparagusTrevor

St_Eddie

I used to buy Empire magazine every month.  I was a very stupid man.  I seem to recall that they gave Attack of the Clones 5 stars.  5 stars!  That's pretty much par for the course with Empire though; bigging up every big budget blockbuster that comes their way.  Untrustworthy gubbins.

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 26, 2018, 09:31:44 AM
Kate Capshaw is reeeeeeally bloody annoying in it. I've seen her in other stuff and she's all tough and steely - like a poor man's Sigourney Weaver - so she was clearly acting that way on purpose. I remember Empire magazine did a retrospective review that said she was the best of Indy's sidekicks/love interest, which is just clearly bollocks.

You could argue she's the most involved of any of the Indy girls I spose and personally I find her enjoyable annoying. Not sure I'd agree the film doesn't know what it wants to be either, the action parts of it are I think also clearly larger than life compared to Raiders. if any of the original three feels like it jumps around most in style for me its Last Crusade.

popcorn

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 26, 2018, 09:31:44 AM

The film has nothing but contempt for her character. She's depicted as nothing but a shallow selfish idiot blonde - "ooh, I broke a nail!" - and punished for it endlessly by being thrown into chasms of bugs and guts and puke.

greenman

Quote from: popcorn on April 26, 2018, 06:36:38 PM
The film has nothing but contempt for her character. She's depicted as nothing but a shallow selfish idiot blonde - "ooh, I broke a nail!" - and punished for it endlessly by being thrown into chasms of bugs and guts and puke.

Shallow and selfish yes but I wouldn't say idiot which I think worked in the films favour as she is able to hold her own sparring verbally with Indy, does obviously advance beyond that as it progresses as well.

Sin Agog

I think it's a shame how everyone forgets that one sequel where they recast him with Michael Douglas.  Bond gets away with it, but no thanks, Dr. Jones!

phantom_power

Better than the one where they recast him as Richard Chamberlain.

And it was two with Douglas

Dr Rock

Where shall we put this impossibly dangerous Ark Of The Covenant? In a load of boxes, nobody will ever find it there. What not in 500 years? You know the Mariana Trench is a place right?

Ferris

...the implication being that all of those boxes are full of dangerous and powerful items. And wow, there's loads! The government is gathering them up either for public safety, or for some darker and more nefarious purpose. The Ark that melts people and makes armies undefeatable is just another trinket compared to the other stuff they have. Imagine it it! Phwoarr!

Isn't that the point? Sorry if that sounds a bit dismissive.

Mister Six

Quote from: greenman on April 26, 2018, 08:50:58 PM
Shallow and selfish yes but I wouldn't say idiot which I think worked in the films favour as she is able to hold her own sparring verbally with Indy, does obviously advance beyond that as it progresses as well.

Yeah, she has pretty solid character development and by the end of it she's a different person.

Crusade > Temple > Raiders.

There, I said it.

Dr Rock

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 27, 2018, 12:54:36 PM
...the implication being that all of those boxes are full of dangerous and powerful items. And wow, there's loads! The government is gathering them up either for public safety, or for some darker and more nefarious purpose. The Ark that melts people and makes armies undefeatable is just another trinket compared to the other stuff they have. Imagine it it! Phwoarr!

Isn't that the point? Sorry if that sounds a bit dismissive.

My impression was that it was a giant store-room where the government would file away loads of unimportant stuff created by bureaucracy and would never be wanted again. So therefore it was the perfect place to hide it. Any word from Lucas or Spielberg as to what they intended?

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 27, 2018, 02:25:49 PM
My impression was that it was a giant store-room where the government would file away loads of unimportant stuff created by bureaucracy and would never be wanted again. So therefore it was the perfect place to hide it. Any word from Lucas or Spielberg as to what they intended?
It's Area 51. They go in there in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and bash into everything. There's a mummy in there or some shit.

marquis_de_sad

I assumed it was an Argos.