Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:31:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Jessica Pratt album

Started by WhoMe, February 13, 2024, 03:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhoMe

Every now and then for the last five years the thought 'hey, I wonder if Jessica Pratt is gonna release anything soon/ever again?' has popped into my mind. Well, wonder no more. The single has her typical recorded-in-1965, ethereal forest pixie quality to it, the one big shift being the use of actual drums. Exciting!

Jessica Pratt - Here in the Pitch

jamiefairlie

Yay! I'll be getting me some if that action (Prattion)!

I like her stuff a lot.

badaids

Thanks for signposting I'm getting it NOW.

edit - i just pre-ordered it.  I'd probably have missed out if not for this thread so thanks again.  I have forbidden myself from buying new vinyl but there are a few artists I can make an exception for.

The Mollusk

Fuck yes I love this woman's music

WhoMe

Quote from: badaids on February 13, 2024, 03:39:21 PMThanks for signposting I'm getting it NOW.

edit - i just pre-ordered it.  I'd probably have missed out if not for this thread so thanks again.  I have forbidden myself from buying new vinyl but there are a few artists I can make an exception for.

Nice, same here. Just noticed Norman Records has an 'Oxblood' colour version which doesn't seem to be on bandcamp, very metal.

badaids

Quote from: WhoMe on February 13, 2024, 04:05:31 PMNice, same here. Just noticed Norman Records has an 'Oxblood' colour version which doesn't seem to be on bandcamp, very metal.

Exactly where I went.  I'm not fussed which one I get; I had to email them to add it as they've has a big order of line knocking round for 6 months waiting for one record.

There was one version that said it was « indies only » does that mean the likes of HMV or Virgin or whoever can't  sell it?

selectivememory

Definitely like the (slightly) different sound of the new song. Been too long since the last album, so expecting great things of this one.

Crabwalk

It's been a long wait, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. She's subtly added more shades with each release and judging from 'Life Is' that pattern will continue. Brian Wilson definitely haunting that one.

It feels unfair to expect another record on a par with her first three, which is one of the finest runs of any musician this century for me. Just one of those artists suffused with a rare and unfathomable magic - the raw ingredients have been used a million times before but what she does is so singular and absorbing.

If anyone's stumbling in here blind, here are my picks from each album so far.

Bushel Hyde:

Back, Baby:

Poly Blue:

dontpaintyourteeth

God, Life Is fucking rules. I love it.

another articulate and worthy response from me in 'oscillations forum'

cheers

The Mollusk

She's playing Union Chapel!

s w o o n

WhoMe

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 14, 2024, 02:49:39 PMShe's playing Union Chapel!

s w o o n

Ah fuckin sweet. I saw her last time round at EartH but had a splitting headache that ruined it. Will try and get to this

The Mollusk

Quote from: WhoMe on February 14, 2024, 03:58:30 PMAh fuckin sweet. I saw her last time round at EartH but had a splitting headache that ruined it. Will try and get to this

I saw her myself a few years back in another church in Hackney. She sounded lovely but my view was entirely obscured by a huge pillar and you could constantly hear people cracking tinnies open. A church bar selling tinnies ffs! Clueless in the ways of curating ambiance.

Last I checked UC only sells hot drinks in mugs so little chance of having the vibe squashed there. Amazing venue as well.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: WhoMe on February 14, 2024, 03:58:30 PMAh fuckin sweet. I saw her last time round at EartH but had a splitting headache that ruined it. Will try and get to this

Tickets go on sale this Friday.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 13, 2024, 06:45:23 PMBrian Wilson definitely haunting that one.

No question. Stealing from the best, and bless her for it...

Crabwalk

Ha! My subconscious took me half the way there!

non capisco

Fallen hard for her stuff in the last couple of days. She's at Primavera and I'm really hoping she's in the indoor auditorium, that'd be perfect.

jamiefairlie

Saw kristin hersh in an old church in Glasgow in the 90s around the time of her solo debut. It was perfect and JP would work well in that situation too. For me this kind of music is like a modern hymnal  equivalent.

WhoMe

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 14, 2024, 05:01:43 PMTickets go on sale this Friday.

Thank you, I just bought a couple despite the notification system doing no notifiying

badaids

The new single is brilliant, can't stop listening to it.  A small part of me tells me it is derivative and wearing its influences on its sleeve, but who cares bloody hell it's great.  Cannot wait for the album.

Butchers Blind

Got tickets for the Chapel gig.

Crabwalk

New song 'World on a String' just fluttered in:

That is one cult I would sign up for in a heartbeat.

WhoMe

Shit man I'm trying to avoid listening to anything (else aside for Life Is) until the album turns up, this is cruel.

WhoMe

Jessica has a 4 show residency on NTS radio, once a month from March. Haven't listened yet but certainty will.

QuoteANDA BEAR
Song For Ariel

THE ZOLTARS
The Perfect Girl

THE FEMININE COMPLEX
Now I Care

THESE TRAILS
Psyche II

THESE TRAILS
Psyche I & Share Your Water

JOE PASS
Peter Peter