Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:28:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024)

Started by Bad Ambassador, November 30, 2023, 11:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

Hard to imagine this being anything other than a slam dunk.

Josef K

Really hope I'm wrong, but it looks like it lacks a lot of the visceral, practical filmmaking that made Fury Road such a breath of fresh air.

Some really wonky CGI in this, particularly shots that would have been done practically in Fury Road. 

Glad to have some vivid colour in a blockbuster again though

Video Game Fan 2000

disney's cars present: the life of brian

Kelvin

They sure know how to cut a fucking trailer.

greenman

Quote from: Josef K on December 01, 2023, 01:55:09 AMReally hope I'm wrong, but it looks like it lacks a lot of the visceral, practical filmmaking that made Fury Road such a breath of fresh air.

Some really wonky CGI in this, particularly shots that would have been done practically in Fury Road. 

Glad to have some vivid colour in a blockbuster again though

Does generally look rather more "larger than life" than Fury Road, maybe just the shots they chose for the trailer but more in the way of modern Hollywood action camera moves and generally more fantastical were as a lot of Fury Road is actually shot in quite a down to earth way.

You could argue I spose exactly recreating something like that were everything came together so well would always be doomed to being worse so might as well try something a bit different.

Memorex MP3

It's half an hour longer, betting it's gonna be a dud.

sevendaughters

not seen Fury Road, only just seen the original (liked it!), this looks like spirit-crushing toss

Sebastian Cobb

I thought this looked alright and I'm usually very cynical about milking 'franchises', I was fully expecting FR to be shite.

I also had no thoughts or gleaned much from the trailer, weirdly. It's like they flashed a sequence of lights in my face and I went 'mmm that's alright that'.

Dex Sawash

Gonna need a thread for Fury Road dislikers to moan in but can't  be bothered to start it. 

I hope bumless leather trousers man from the 80s is back.

markburgle

Spent the first 10-15 mins of Fury Rd thinking "this shite", but ended up loving it. I'm sure you could cut a trailer from that movie suggestive of it being an over-amped load of old wank, trailers tend to do that

madhair60

there has literally never been a trailer that makes any film look good.

sevendaughters

I disagree, I could see myself liking Fury Road. The effects in the trailer for this just look laughable.

lb99

Surely the trailer uses temp VFX that will be spruced up for the actual feature? Fury Road was full of CGI and that looked great and worked almost seamlessly with the practical FX.

samadriel

Not an amazing trailer, but George Miller already proved he can still make a fucking fantastic movie with Happy Feet Fury Road. If this is half as good, it'll be golden.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but Fury Road is guff.

samadriel

Gonna need to see some working on that one.

druss

Odd numbered Mad Max films aren't as good as even numbered Mad Max films but hopefully as he isn't in this one then the rule won't apply.
Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 01, 2023, 02:34:45 PMI'm sorry to have to tell you this, but Fury Road is guff.
Hahaha.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 01, 2023, 02:34:45 PMI'm sorry to have to tell you this, but Fury Road is guff.
I'm so surprised to read this, it feels like that time people started pretending The Phantom Menace was good.

I think it's one of the best films of the century so far, and I feel a bit sorry for people who not only don't like it, but think it's "guff". What a great experience you're missing out on.

SteveDave

Have they given Chris Hemsworth that ridiculous nose because if he didn't have it, he'd just look the same as Thor?

13 schoolyards

Fury Road worked because it was full of mental stuff we hadn't seen before. If Miller doesn't have other people putting in new ideas, he repeats himself (ie Beyond Thunderdome's big final chase just being the same as Mad Max 2 only with a train), only with this he doesn't have the get-out of fans saying "they're the same because they're all meant to be versions of the same legend"

druss

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 01, 2023, 03:21:52 PMI'm so surprised to read this, it feels like that time people started pretending The Phantom Menace was good.

I think it's one of the best films of the century so far, and I feel a bit sorry for people who not only don't like it, but think it's "guff". What a great experience you're missing out on.

If you don't like action films or if aesthetics aren't important to you then I can see why someone wouldn't like it. It has a very simplistic plot and there isn't much depth to any of the characters.

It's obviously still an absolutely fucking amazing cinematic experience though.

madhair60

if you don't like action films why would you even bother watching it and why would your opinion on it matter

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on December 01, 2023, 03:31:16 PMonly with this he doesn't have the get-out of fans saying "they're the same because they're all meant to be versions of the same legend"
I read more "they're all legends about the same person" rather than "they're all versions of the same legend". I'm happy to give this the benefit of the doubt til I've seen it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I love action films and aesthetics. Fury road should be right up my street, but I just found it unengaging every time I watched it. The OTT hype around it certainly doesn't help.

Quite frankly, the best thing to come out of it was when I dubbed the bad guy "Darth Stringfellow".

Fambo Number Mive

Looking forward to this. The timeline is interesting though.
Spoiler alert
Did "the collapse" happen before or after the first Mad Max film? If after, then the Max from Fury Road is a different Max to films 1-3
[close]

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 01, 2023, 03:56:37 PM'm happy to give this the benefit of the doubt til I've seen it.

Communist

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 01, 2023, 04:58:27 PMLooking forward to this. The timeline is interesting though.
Spoiler alert
Did "the collapse" happen before or after the first Mad Max film? If after, then the Max from Fury Road is a different Max to films 1-3
[close]

This is a prequel to Fury Road isn't it?

Fambo Number Mive

Spoiler alert
If Furiosa AMMS happens 45 years after the collapse as the trailer claims, and the collapse happens after the original Mad Max, then Max would have been in his 70s by the time of Fury Road. So I assume the collapse had already happened by the first Mad Max film and refers to an oil crisis (as I seem to recall from the beginning of Mad Max 2, not some kind of global war as I think took place after MM1 but before MM2. I might be misremembering though.
[close]

Sebastian Cobb

I don't quite get why the love for Fury Road is as great as it is but I don't think it's shit either, cheers.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on December 01, 2023, 03:31:16 PMFury Road worked because it was full of mental stuff we hadn't seen before. If Miller doesn't have other people putting in new ideas, he repeats himself (ie Beyond Thunderdome's big final chase just being the same as Mad Max 2 only with a train), only with this he doesn't have the get-out of fans saying "they're the same because they're all meant to be versions of the same legend"

Would love it if someone could make a new cut of Thunderdome that kept everything up until Max got booted out rather than it going all shit. We have the power and technology that means Tina Turner being dead and Gibson being old and a cunt aren't obstacles.