Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:17:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Postman Pat: The Movie

Started by Phil_A, February 05, 2014, 10:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

The script for Postman Pat II: Back in the Van! has leaked. It involves Pat taking on the might of Amazon and battling with a drone.

syntaxerror

Fuck this shit. Fireman Sam was always better anyway

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: syntaxerror on February 05, 2014, 07:35:06 PM
Fuck this shit. Fireman Sam was always better anyway

Nah, Fireman Sam went into weird, unrecognisable decline long before Pat. See this bizarre live action film from 1996, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAWzGHFEEXY

Plus he also fell victim to the CGIpocalypse that has affected many-a kid's show over the last decade.

Petey Pate

Naughty Norman had nothing on Granny Drydon.  And who was that Elvis cunt?  A shit Ted Glenn that's who.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on February 05, 2014, 08:00:31 PM
Nah, Fireman Sam went into weird, unrecognisable decline long before Pat. See this bizarre live action film from 1996, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAWzGHFEEXY

Plus he also fell victim to the CGIpocalypse that has affected many-a kid's show over the last decade.

I think more children's theme songs should scream 'DIAL 999' at the beginning.

Oh, also, what a fucking shit fire engine. Twat.

EDIT: Christ, this is genuinely terrible. I'm going to watch the whole thing.

Subtle Mocking

Also, I'm irrationally creeped out by seeing adults playing the roles of children, for some reason.

Thomas

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 05, 2014, 10:36:32 PM
EDIT: Christ, this is genuinely terrible. I'm going to watch the whole thing.

For some reason it's bringing Torchwood to mind.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Phil_A on February 05, 2014, 10:05:46 AM"Pat thinks he's a very happy man."

You've ruined Pat for me by handing me the realisation that self-satisfaction is his defining character trait.

Glebe

Saw Pat in Marks & Sparks once. Asked for his autograph and he just gave me a look.

imitationleather

The CGI in that looks truly appalling. Is it actually going to be shown in cinemas? I'd almost be interested to see how ropey it was all massive on a big screen. Almost, but not quite enough.

Oh God watching it again the bit where he starts singing makes me feel like I'm about to have a seizure from cringing so hard.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Tiny Poster on February 05, 2014, 11:52:07 PM

You've ruined Pat for me by handing me the realisation that self-satisfaction is his defining character trait.

Blaming Mike Batt. A tremendous musician but his lyrics were often clunky and over-thought. Presuming he wrote them, of course. Don't make me go to Google.

That knock, knock, ring, ring, parcels through your door break down is one of the greatest moments in Western music, though.

I'm going to see this just for the song.

Phil_A

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on February 06, 2014, 08:52:46 AM
Blaming Mike Batt. A tremendous musician but his lyrics were often clunky and over-thought. Presuming he wrote them, of course. Don't make me go to Google.

That knock, knock, ring, ring, parcels through your door break down is one of the greatest moments in Western music, though.

I'm going to see this just for the song.

I can assure you that Mike Batt's clammy Tory hands were never anywhere near Pat. Bryan Daley, motherfucker!

I sincerely doubt the new movie will contain anything as groovy as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22gzOEM9x4

Tiny Poster

Bryan Daley is one of those mysterious lost musicians who only appeared to record a few amazing tracks before disappearing immediately into obscurity, like a stop-motion Roky Erikson, waiting to be rediscovered and revived.

See this unbeatable gem: http://youtu.be/F_V2GemStEw

Don_Preston

He had a 48 word word obituary in the Times in 2012. Did Thingray have anything to do with that?

BritishHobo

Quote from: Thomas on February 05, 2014, 10:42:28 PM
For some reason it's bringing Torchwood to mind.

I genuinely can't stop watching it. It's too much to go through all in one go, but I keep returning to it for some reason. I think I'm actually in love with the serious, thespian Welshman playing Fireman Sam.

imitationleather

Do the voice artists and their loved ones go to the premiere of films like this? Imagine Jim Broadbent's missus getting ready knowing there's an evening of Postman Pat: The Movie ahead of her. "Great."

Thomas

I like the tone of the director's Wiki introduction -

QuoteHe made his directorial debut with The Origin of Stitch, Disney's 2005 direct-to-DVD short sequel to Lilo & Stitch. At one point he was attached to direct a computer-animated prequel to Disney's 1937 film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, but he dropped out due to creative differences and the project was cancelled. After growing disillusioned with the studio, he left to become an independent filmmaker. His first feature film, Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil was released in 2011. It was poorly received by critics and was a financial failure. He is currently directing Postman Pat: The Movie — You Know You're the One, which will be released in the Summer of 2014.

BritishHobo

Quote from: imitationleather on February 07, 2014, 05:38:29 PM
Do the voice artists and their loved ones go to the premiere of films like this? Imagine Jim Broadbent's missus getting ready knowing there's an evening of Postman Pat: The Movie ahead of her. "Great."

This just makes me think of Billy West's story about the voice cast of Looney Tunes Back in Action being herded to a seperate, smaller premiere away from all the 'proper' screen actors.

BritishHobo

Quote from: madhair60 on February 05, 2014, 06:57:59 PM
Erm, well, it looks entertaining but about as "sacreligious"  as the Pat movie in terms of being true to its roots.  The trailer did make me smile though.

Just got around to watching it and, while definitely sacreligious, I really enjoyed it. I think the key thing is that rather than just taking the cartoon and slapping it into a CGI adventure, they picked out a story worth telling. Focusing it on the father/son relationship makes it genuinely sweet and engaging, rather than just Postman Pat fighting some robots. Gets a bit dark at times too, and there's some proper time-travel fuckery (
Spoiler alert
Peabody bursting in on his past self and two Shermans in front of the woman from child services and announcing "Sherman, I need to get you out of here before you touch yourself!" is crashingly unsubtle but might be my favourite kid's-movie-joke-for-adults that I've ever seen, especially her furious scribbling in her notepad. Not even hidden enough to be a double entendre.
[close]
). Good fun.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 16, 2014, 02:40:02 PM
just Postman Pat fighting some robots.

Now I am annoyed that they did not do this.