Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,780
  • Total Topics: 106,776
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:59:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Return to Oz...is it a classic?

Started by leighhart, May 23, 2014, 07:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leighhart

Does this deserve to get ranked with the great 80s fantasy films? its a pretty trippy film and has aged well, its not really a sequel to the Garland film and has much darker feel along with some great visual
Any fans of it in here?

biggytitbo

Mister Six

Couldn't tell you. Can't recall anything about the film without getting THE FEAR.

Steven

I liked it, it was like the Wizard of Oz reflected through a Vietnam flashback though, the creepy doctor with his machine, the Wheelers, Mombie, The Gnome King's latent trasvestisism. The soundtrack is good too.

billtheburger

Aunt Em' has sent Dorothy to the asylum for electroshock therapy because she's coming out with all these stories form her first trip to Oz. The film starts with Dorothy leaving the nuthouse all cured and no longer believing her delusions and then she goes back to Oz and everything goes more fucked up.
Yes it is an 80's classic.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

As with Labyrinth, all the characters having real world counterparts blew my mind as a kid. It seemed less amazing in the original Wizard of Oz musical, because of how obviously it was done, but stuff like the Wheelers representing the hospital Porters seemed super clever at the time.

I've since come to realise it's a fairly common technique, but I still remember how smart I felt when I noticed the parallels.