Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:24:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Started by Glebe, May 24, 2014, 01:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Quote from: Blumf on June 23, 2014, 10:16:08 AM
Good point, forgot that. But even so, I don't think his intentions were straight up villainous, he wasn't doing any of this for the shits-n-giggles or megalomaniac intent.

Really? He's just out to straight up kill them with very little research on their intentions

Blumf

He didn't consider their intentions relevant though. The whole Neanderthals vs Homo-Sapiens thing he talked about. An argument based on fear yes, but not pure evil.

great_badir

Best one of the lot (including the origin films) in my opinion.

I'll admit to not particularly being a fan of any of the previous films (not even the second one, which most people seem to think is amazing) but, despite starting from a point of not really giving a shit, I REALLY enjoyed this one, and the acting was an enormous step up from what was on display in First Class, particularly James Mcavoy (who was terrible in First Class, brilliant in Future Past - blame Matthew Vaughn perhaps?).  The pace was right, the action sequences were good, the CGI was tolerable, the humour was there but not to the point of detracting from the rest of the tone and it felt like a better and more accomplished film all round.

Catalogue Trousers

Finally caught up with this yesterday, and enjoyed it a lot. But things do get somewhat pointless towards the end. I can just about buy Magneto flying that stadium along (he needs something to form an impenetrable wall around the White House),  but why - when Beast cleverly uses his serum to temporarily mask his mutant status and make the Sentinels aware that Magneto and Mystique are mutants - do the Sentinels not just turn around and blast the shit out of those two?

Also, near the start of the film, we're told that the whole problem with the time travel in this film is that it damages people's minds - so why is Wolverine any better off going back than anyone else? His enhanced healing is purely physical, not mental.

The obvious answers to both are that "hey, everyone LOVES Mystique and Wolverine, we have to give them as much screen time as possible and ensure that they are never killed off!" - well, they both bore me, so screw that.

Also, why did the first Sentinels have such stupid, cutesy faces and those daft jet exhausts which made them look pot-bellied?

But overall, these are minor cavils. It was big, it was exciting, and Dinklage and Peters were both excellent. Chalk me up as another Quicksilver fan. Best scene in the whole damn film.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on July 06, 2014, 04:02:41 PM
Also, near the start of the film, we're told that the whole problem with the time travel in this film is that it damages people's minds - so why is Wolverine any better off going back than anyone else? His enhanced healing is purely physical, not mental.

It's mental and physical. If you go back to far, your young brain is flooded with old-you's memories. But because Wolverine's brain has been the same since the late 1800s, he can go back no trouble