Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:48:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Empire's 301 Greatest Movies of All Time.

Started by Glebe, June 02, 2014, 02:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Glebe on June 07, 2014, 09:54:12 AM
Sight & Sound's 2012 Greatest Films Poll is much more satisfying. It enabled voters - culled from critics, directors and other assorted film folk - to each pick a top ten, with several selecting personal favourites rather than 'greatest' and some not even putting their list in any order. You can see who choose what under the 'All Voters' section.

Interesting list but it has the opposite problem to the Empire one, too many old or "challenging"/art films, not enough entertaining blockbusters. Films like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jaws deserve a place in those lists just as much as the likes of 8 1/2 and Tokyo Story.

vrailaine

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 08, 2014, 12:21:31 PM
Interesting list but it has the opposite problem to the Empire one, too many old or "challenging"/art films, not enough entertaining blockbusters. Films like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jaws deserve a place in those lists just as much as the likes of 8 1/2 and Tokyo Story.
Jaws is in there sure. 75th on the directors one, which seems fair enough when you consider people are gonna leave out such an obvious choice from their options on that kind of list.
I don't need a list to tell me I should check out Jaws, damn near everyone loves it and it's got pretty easy appeal. Some sort of thing by Tarkovsky or whoever, on the other hand, probably does need that extra bit of encouragement.

Kane, Vertigo, etc are all really just part of some critic agenda where they presumably cannot live with themselves making a list of the "greatest" films ever without including what they consider to be the greatest on a purely objective level. I'd far rather a list of favourites though.

I'd also imagine Raiders, Close Encounters (still unsure if it's only me who rates this way above everything else he's done, I should know that by now) and whatever else by Spielberg suffer from a bit of a split vote. If all the Spielberg votes congregated around Jaws in a similar manner to how Hitchcock's do around Vertigo, Jaws would probably do a lot better on those lists.

Glebe

Quote from: vrailaine on June 07, 2014, 07:01:11 PMWhy exactly are you even bothering to give opinions of the ones you haven't seen?

Just to indicate if a film seems to appeal to me or not, sort of thing.

Quote from: Talulah, really! on June 08, 2014, 10:18:28 AMIt appears to not have The Ladykillers ergo it can fuck the fucking right fucking off.

*slaps forehead* Fuck, cheers Talulah - another personal fave that didn't occur to me. And now you're jump-started my brain, you can add The Marx Bros' Duck Soup to the list, possibly the greatest comedy of all time. Also, I can kinda understand it not making the list, but Quatermass and the Pit is another all-time personal favourite.

Again, let me reiterate - no Spinal Tap?! WTF? And just to keep repeating myself like a loony, no mention of Gremlins.