Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:58:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PULP: A Film about Life, Death & Supermarkets

Started by Beagle 2, June 06, 2014, 04:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Anybody going to see this tomorrow? I'm off to the Glasgow showing with a satellite link up to a Q&A with the band from Sheffield. So far, the Independent review is good and the Grauniad bad.

I saw Made of Stone recently and thought it was a really underwhelming piece of work, so I'm hoping for something a bit different to the usual rock doc, and it sounds like I may be in luck.

Small Man Big Horse

I've seen mixed reviews too, so will probably wait until the dvd release. Changing the subject very slightly, did anyone buy the NME this week? There's an interview with them, which suggests they haven't yet played their last gig... http://www.nme.com/magazine/issue/pulp-reunion

Beagle 2

I'm honestly not bothered unless they do new material. I think that's one band who could make exactly the album they wanted and find a market for it, and it would be an album I'd love to hear.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Does anyone know the official view on whether Lawrence Of Belgravia will ever see a release?

SteveDave

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on June 06, 2014, 11:22:59 PM
Does anyone know the official view on whether Lawrence Of Belgravia will ever see a release?

When I saw it last year, there was a Q & A afterwards & Lawrence wasn't keen on a DVD release because then it would get pirated & people on the internet would be able to see it for free.

holyzombiejesus

My friend spoke to Lawrence at the Manchester screening a year or so ago and he said then that they wanted to continue touring it round film festivals and such like. My guess is that it'll come out when Lawrence finally releases his solo album.

The Pulp film is on in Manchester tomorrow too. No idea if tickets are left; it seems a bit of a bizarre concert/ doc hybrid.

Black Ship

On the tube, right now to the BFI. Don 't know who else is going there. Everyone else seems to have gone to Sheffield. 

Jim_MacLaine

Regarding Lawrence, Heavenly seem to be rubbish at releasing stuff. I'm still waiting for the release of the Take 3 Girls doc I saw at The Barbican 6 bluddy years ago!

Don_Preston

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on June 07, 2014, 06:54:57 PM
Regarding Lawrence, Heavenly seem to be rubbish at releasing stuff. I'm still waiting for the release of the Take 3 Girls doc I saw at The Barbican 6 bluddy years ago!

A friend of mine saw Go-Kart Mozart in Preston and Lawrence gave him
Spoiler alert
a DVD-R of the film .
[close]
I don't think he's optimistic.

Tairy_Green

The film was very good, moving and very funny, although just made me want to go to another gig.

The Q&A was pretty dire. It looked as though someone punched Paul Morley in the face.

Good.

Beagle 2

I thought it was excellent, it actually made me very homesick for Yorkshire, which isn't something I've said very much. Some extremely funny moments, particularly yer newspaper man. That performance of This is Hardcore was mindblowing.

The director was completely right that there's just no point covering information that is reachable within a few mouse click, and it was a refreshing approach to a concert/rock doc. I would be interested in seeing some extended interviews when the dvd comes out, and I definitely want to see it again.

The actual live link up was an utter bumblefuck. We got there at five for the start, sat looking at a black screen while the cinema played the entirety of Queen's 'Innuendo' (really not the best mood setter of an album), then sat through almost another another hour of the cameraman wondering about outside, the audience filing in and some daft rhymes lasered on a wall. The Q&A was awkward as fuck afterwards as well, the venue seemed to big for that sort of thing.

They all seem to fancy a bit more except Candida by the sounds.

Black Ship

Well with Candida, her reticence is understandable.

Anyone else get a bit cross with those kids for not appreciating Disco 2000?

Just me then.

Kawaii Five-O

I also really enjoyed that. I'm trying to decide if there are any other bands I wouldn't mind walking into town in a downpour just to see a film about them, and I don't think there are.

I think my favourite bit was the girls' football team shirts. Just the fact of the band sponsoring the team, and Nick's comment about "Dad's crap band," it was all just very sweet.

I too got there an hour earlier than I needed to be, and sadly two of the seven other people in the cinema had to leave when we were told it wasn't starting until 6, as they had to go to work before the film would finish. The Q&A seemed a bit flat to me, too. Felt like Paul Morley kept asking questions that had already been answered. The question about why they didn't use a local director made me cringe, what with the actual director being right there and all, though Steve Mackey answered it very well.

Beagle 2

Yeah, why did Morley keep saying "What's great is that you seem to have made a film about Sheffield the city itself, what prompted that decision?" over and over again?

Tairy_Green

I couldn't believe that they actually let someone ask, "What are your influences?" And right after the director explaining that he wasn't interested in the obvious.

I think what I enjoyed the most was how much I liked the members of the band who stay out of the limelight. Candida is lovely, and Nick Banks is the epitome of the 'local boy done good'; utterly down to earth and loving every minute of his success.

Also, the knife maker is my new hero.

Kawaii Five-O

Yes, the knife maker was a hit with our audience too. He was outstanding!

In fairness I don't think the questions from the audience were submitted in advance, though I suppose they were able to pick and choose the internet questions and still went with "what's your favourite supermarket?"

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Beagle 2 on June 07, 2014, 11:54:46 PM
Yeah, why did Morley keep saying "What's great is that you seem to have made a film about Sheffield the city itself, what prompted that decision?" over and over again?

Because he's a total fucking waste of space who cannot say anything interesting or even completely accurate about popular music; for the past 47 years or whatever it is he has solely exploited it as a vehicle for self-aggrandisement. The only good bit in his turgid volume Words And Music is the transcript of a Jarvis Cocker interview which Paul himself didn't conduct.

scarecrow

Beagle 2

She's suffered from rheumatoid arthritis since she was 16. She managed okay on the last tour, but I think she has to have a very good reason to put herself through it basically.