Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:02:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inappropriate film soundtracks

Started by Johnny Textface, June 23, 2014, 11:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

Off the bat, the soundtrack to Witness by Maurice Jarre does not really suit the film at all in my opinion.

I'm sure there are others, probably by John Carpenter.

Puce Moment

The Mad Max soundtrack is a fucking abomination of time-specific, over-baked synthesiser that is WAY too high in the mix, and seems to come in at a most hysterical speed when it is not appropriate.

It ruins the film for me completely.

Also, just about any film released in the last 15-years that use music to make you feel an emotion when it is completely unnecessary. Two good examples are the over-rated films Gravity and 12 Years a Slave. Ok-ish films made unwatchable for me due to the patronising and shitty soundtrack.

You could include the completely incongruous use of Naked City in Funny Games as a an example of an inappropriate choice, but for me it makes the film. That opening shot with Yamatsuka Eye screaming over this wholesome family, with the kid looking at the parents' faces. Brilliant.

Gravity's soundtrack was fucking shit.

I never reckoned much to the incidental music in 'Nil By Mouth' - thse clean, Eric Claptonesque guitar notes where a darker Aphex Twin feel would have worked a lot better.