Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

June 20, 2024, 01:06:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Popeye

Started by Mobbd, March 08, 2024, 10:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

jamiefairlie

Bluto or Brutus though? Seemed to change at will, still a fat cunt fucking rapist though.

Gulftastic

The 80s arcade game had pretty great graphics for the time it was made.

https://youtu.be/hErObuqvlHs?si=27tndR5XU8UjKEGC

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 08, 2024, 01:51:39 PMWhile "Popeye" didn't help or hurt Williams' nascent movie career, he wouldn't become a bankable superstar until 1987's "Good Morning, Vietnam," where his stream-of-consciousness riffing was actually integral to the plot. If audiences missed any dialogue in that movie, it's because they were laughing too hard.
It's interesting how working with Altman seemingly led to Williams being a respected screen actor in the early-mid 80s: making The World According to Garp (1982) for George Roy Hill; Paul Mazursky's Moscow on the Hudson (1984); up to Saul Bellow adaptation Seize the Day (1986). Then Good Morning Vietnam! (1987) and he was back to being zany. Clear lesson for any actor wanting to be taken seriously: play Popeye.

Brian Freeze

I always thought (having read it somewhere) that the Jeep got it's nickname from GP vehicle, general purpose. I'm very willing to stand corrected by Buzby on this.

Daft question possibly but does the naming of the restaurant chain have anything to do with the character Wimpy or vice versa?

Quote from: Mobbd on March 08, 2024, 12:43:21 PMAmazing detailed answers from @idunnosomename and @buzby so far. I knew this was the place to turn. Who says CaB is all phimosis all the time? Not me.

Imagine, though, that Popeye's penis has the same proportions as one of his arms. And imagine trying to pull a foreskin back over that.

He's also bald as fuck.

Hope you enjoyed this helpful contribution to your thread. Cheers.

Gulftastic

Never forget that Popeye & Olive were one of the few impressions that Eddie allowed Sid to join in on.

idunnosomename

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 08, 2024, 03:57:14 PMBluto or Brutus though? Seemed to change at will, still a fat cunt fucking rapist though.
very simply the name was changed for the King Features Syndicate TV cartoons from the early '60s as they thought they didnt own the rights to Bluto (usually said they mistakenly thought he was invented by Fleischer so was owned by Paramount). These cartoons are terrible slop, but there are so many of them, it had quite an effect on his name in merchandising. They had four animation studios pumping them out.

In all the theatrical shorts, including the colour Famous/Paramount ones into the '50s he's Bluto.

non capisco

Brutus in the shitey badly animated ones they used to show on TV-AM in the 80s also had more of a classic UK darts player physique then hench Bluto, as I recall.

Used to mystify me as a kid why he was called Brutus on ITV and Bluto on BBC, it's simultaneously great and sad that you never have to wonder about anything any more.

letsgobrian

The source of the Bluto/Brutus confusion is explained here by Mark Evanier.

Shaxberd

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 08, 2024, 04:49:29 PMDaft question possibly but does the naming of the restaurant chain have anything to do with the character Wimpy or vice versa?

Yep! The character Wimpy likes burgers, it's one of his key character traits, so an American burger chain named themselves after him in the 30s. As far as I can tell there wasn't any license deal with Segar or King Features, I guess they never bothered to trademark it, or possibly it wasn't distinctive enough that it mattered.

In the 50s the burger chain sold UK name rights to Lyon's (who already ran a popular restaurant chain) who brought their attempt at US-style diner food to a British audience who didn't know any better. The American brand folded in the 70s but ours keeps limping on, somehow.

While we're here, the American fried chicken chain Popeye's wasn't named after the character, but they did have a license deal to use him as a mascot for a while.

Gulftastic

The 50th Wimpy to open in the UK was Briggate in Leeds.

It coincided with my Grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary and (with another couple) they were thrown an all you can eat party for their entire families on the opening day. We all got a day off school. For us kids it was like winning the pools.

imitationleather

God. Bluto was such a wanker.

Hank the Rapper

Quote from: Proactive on March 08, 2024, 11:30:16 AMWas there a Viz or similar parody called Poparse? Seem to remember such a thing.

There was a one-off strip, Pope-Eye the Pontiff Man around 2003, featuring him gaining strength from a tin of communion wafers and saving Sister Olive from Cardinal Bluto. I'll see if I can take a pic at some point...

I'm Pope-Eye the Pontiff Man
I lives in the Va-ti-can
And thanks to the Bible
I'm quite infall-ible
I'm Pope-Eye the Pontiff Man!

Toot-toot!

Barry Admin

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 08, 2024, 04:46:01 PMIt's interesting how working with Altman seemingly led to Williams being a respected screen actor in the early-mid 80s: making The World According to Garp (1982) for George Roy Hill; Paul Mazursky's Moscow on the Hudson (1984); up to Saul Bellow adaptation Seize the Day (1986). Then Good Morning Vietnam! (1987) and he was back to being zany. Clear lesson for any actor wanting to be taken seriously: play Popeye.

Fucking loved Garp as a kid, ended up reading the book too. 

Twilkes

The graphics on the ZX Spectrum version of the game are unbelievable, in both senses of the word:

buzby

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 08, 2024, 04:49:29 PMI always thought (having read it somewhere) that the Jeep got it's nickname from GP vehicle, general purpose. I'm very willing to stand corrected by Buzby on this.
The vehcle's actual name in the Ordnance Dept. supply system was "U.S. Army Truck, 1⁄4‑ton, 4×4, Command Reconnaissance" and in the Ordnance Dept. vehicle catalogue they had the code G-503 (the Group G code list contained all land vehicles).

The Willys Overland-manufactured vehicles were called the Willys MB.
The Ford-manufactured vehicles were called the Ford GPW.
The 'GP' letters did not stand for 'General Purpose':
Quote from: buzby on March 08, 2024, 11:13:50 AMIn Ford's coding system at the time, G = Government Contract, P = 80 inch wheel base, W = Willys design.
Given Ford's massive manufacturing base, there were far more of the Ford-manufactured version supplied to units in the early years of the war than the Willys version (Willys ended up adopting the production design changes Ford made to make them easier and cheaper to produce, such as the pressed steel slotted grille panel).

Given the popularity of the Popeye comics and cartoons, Eugene the Jeep was already a household name prior to the war. When a vehicle turned up in in the Army with 'GP' in it's name and the ability to go anywhere like the teleporting Eugene, it's easy to see how the soldiers began calling it the 'jeep'.

Brian Freeze

Nice one buzby :)

beanheadmcginty

Main thing I know about this guy is that he lives in a caravan and in the middle of this caravan is a hole through which he can piddle. Heard a song about it once.

idunnosomename

Quote from: letsgobrian on March 08, 2024, 05:35:39 PMThe source of the Bluto/Brutus confusion is explained here by Mark Evanier.
i can totally believe they were so keen to get pumping their own shit out to make buck on syndication they didn't really bother to research they owned the rights to "Bluto" so erred on the side of caution.

Some of the '40s/'50s colour Popeyes are alright (they lose their edge, and there's other studios making much better stuff at that point), but the King Features Syndicate Inc. stuff is total fucking bilge, even if they have Jack Mercer etc in them. I think they just blatantly stole old episode plots and remade them with extremely limited animation so they'd get the syndication fees.

Saw very little of them though. All my early exposure to Popeye was via those joyful "Cartoon." slots on the BBC. Although I do remember ITV airing classic Looney Tunes in similar weekend late afternoon sub-10 minute slots. Always wonder if kidz these days like classic cartoons, thats why Space Jam 2 tanked and they've got such cold feet over Coyote Vs. ACME

Mobbd

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 08, 2024, 08:51:54 PMMain thing I know about this guy is that he lives in a caravan and in the middle of this caravan is a hole through which he can piddle. Heard a song about it once.

He also liked to go swimmin' to kiss all the wimmin'.

I remember the song well. RIP Val Doonican.

Andy147

Quote from: Proactive on March 08, 2024, 11:30:16 AMWas there a Viz or similar parody called Poparse? Seem to remember such a thing.

It was in Zit: you can see an example here (about halfway down the page).

kalowski

Quote from: Mobbd on March 08, 2024, 09:08:08 PMHe also liked to go swimmin' to kiss all the wimmin'.

I remember the song well. RIP Val Doonican.
And the jam was so sticky it stuck to his dicky...

The Dog

I'm popeye the sailor man,
I'm living with Mobbd's nan,
And when she's not looking,
I shit in her cooking,
I'm popeye the sailor man.

idunnosomename

Didn't realise some of these are public domain now. Extraordinarily clean version of the second colour two-reeler on Wikipedia here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Popeye_The_Sailor_Meets_Ali_Baba%27s_Forty_Thieves_(_1937).webm

Still guffaw at this like every 10 seconds. incredible gag rate in both dialogue and the animation.

Not sure why Wimpy's "Olive Oyl has collapsed completely" is so funny. I also love the loudspeaker horn that steals Wimpy's burger ("thattaway!") then comes back in the town to do the whole "Abu Hassan!" song.

"Must be thieves around hyah!"

arguably the stereo-optical stuff is more impressive in Sindbad (in this there's the desert with the traffic light etc, when Popeye gets on the camel and takes it to the fuelling station, and the thieves' cave) but I think this is the funniest.

edit:
actually watching the wikipedia upload through I think it's AI upscaled. still every frame is essentially the same (its not like a shit syndicated recolouring that drops frames and loses original backgrounds) but seems a bit weird in some tiny details I notice, particularly bits of text and the swing doors at the beginning of the camel sequence. here's the version I watched first tonight which I guess is ripped off the 2007 DVD. probs best to watch this

5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40!

TheAssassin

Quote from: non capisco on March 08, 2024, 05:04:28 PMBrutus in the shitey badly animated ones they used to show on TV-AM in the 80s also had more of a classic UK darts player physique then hench Bluto, as I recall.

Used to mystify me as a kid why he was called Brutus on ITV and Bluto on BBC, it's simultaneously great and sad that you never have to wonder about anything any more.

I remember watching Popeye on TV-AM, they always used to have a cartoon on for the kids around 725am.  But the incident I remember is when they had Geoff Capes (World's Strongest Man) as a guest, he commented on the Popeye cartoon as to how strong Popeye was without spinach.  Popeye ate his spinach from a can which he squeezed open, no can opener, and Geoff had a canned food and he tried to squeeze it open, but couldn't.

kalowski

Ha ha! Up yours, Capes.

Glebe

Alice the Goon used to scare the shit out of me. The Sea Hag was unsettling too. Oh and Eugene the Jeep! He frightened me a bit too, appearing and disappearing suddenly!

Hang on, Bluto/Brutus was originally just 'Mean Man'? Also, I think I always assumed Sweet Pea was Popeye and Olive's kid!

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 08, 2024, 04:58:05 PMNever forget that Popeye & Olive were one of the few impressions that Eddie allowed Sid to join in on.

"They should bring back Popeye. I used to love Popeye! *squints* Oh me gosh Olive, ock ock ock ock ock!"

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: Glebe on March 09, 2024, 06:49:16 AMHang on, Bluto/Brutus was originally just 'Mean Man'?

In my head this song is about Bluto:

Roger Langridge did a good Popeye comic a few years ago, one issue had a guest appearance from forgotten star of the funnies Barney Google, Wimpy fucks his wife.

Tags: