Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

June 20, 2024, 02:22:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Conan O'Brien Needs A Thread

Started by Kelvin, April 14, 2024, 04:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 14, 2024, 11:43:53 PMChat show hosts on the whole can be quite inoffensive and mediocre but the current crop take it to extremes. The best I can muster is they don't seem like evil people (except Corden). Trevor Noah, he's not terrible but he's just not very good either. Myers, Colbert, Fallon, Kimmel, Corden even Oliver, just annoying.

I don't really count Noah or Oliver - those kind of news satire/sketch shows aren't really the same genre as the traditional "So tell us about your new film" talk shows. Also, I rather like Oliver and think his show is pretty great at what it does.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 14, 2024, 11:43:53 PMI can't believe I ever gave Bill Maher the time of day. Heidecker has eviscerated him on Office Hours and there's no going back after that.

Maher's unbearable. I guess someone has to appeal to centre-right aged Gen X twats, but does it have to be someone so fucking witless, charmless and stupid?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Mister Six on April 15, 2024, 01:48:39 AMI rather like Oliver and think his show is pretty great at what it does.

I agree with Oliver's politics and even the structure and direction of his show. Just can't get along with his delivery and intonation, the way he sticks his hand forward almost as to quiet the boisterous audience. It's a shame because it's actually quite educational and I'd like to watch more but it's too irritating.

thr0b

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 14, 2024, 05:48:59 PMGreat idea. I recently listened to his interview with Larry David which was funny enough that I went back in search of another good episode and found his tribute to Norm. Happy to take other recommendations for good Needs A Friend episodes.

Late last year he and Dana Carvey and performed over a few episodes of his podcast an abandoned film parodying Arnie which they wrote in the early 90s. It was good fun, and perfectly silly podcast material.

thr0b

Also, the Covid-era episodes of his TBS show were terrific. The show had already cut back to half an hour and reformatted as a brief monologue and a lengthier chat with a celeb pre-Covid, but once the pandemic struck, they were turfed out of the studios.

This meant a few weeks of shows via Zoom from his home, until they decamped to the Largo theatre in LA and Put The Show On Themselves.

The audience seating was filled with life-size cardboard cutouts of viewers, and Any Richter sat at the back.

A canny way of hiding budget cuts, but also meant that one of his favourite theatres he had performed at early in his career was able to keep money coming in while it couldn't put on audience shows.

He was on the Tonight Show With whichever Jimmy it is last week, and stole the show. Ironically, as it was stolen from him.

He's always given me creep vibes but just checked his wiki and there is no 'controversies' section so I'll hold off for now

Memorex MP3

That documentary about his time off TV explained a lot of the chat show thing to me.

It's a bit of a trap where you wind up being directly responsible for the employment of so many people, if you actually like the people in your team it'd be hard to take the plunge to go off and try to figure out something new and even if you wanted to it'd be hard to find the time to when you're doing a nightly show for the bulk of the year.

Kelvin

This one on bears is pretty great.

I think you can really tell why he worked for the Simpsons, tbh. He's best when going off on whimsical flights of fancy, described almost like a sketch, rather than making quick-fire quips or setup/punchline gags. 

madhair60

i downloaded all of his Tonight Show and the Universal Studios Tour bit in episode 1 has me crying. it's not on YouTube infuriatingly

Key

I used to watch a lot of Conan about 20 years ago, the celebrity interviews were hit and miss but the comedy skits towards the start of the show were usually great, the outside broadcasts, Triumph the dog etc. He had a great team of writers headed by Brian's Stack & McCann who were also great performers. Heres a supercut of Brian Stack as Hannigan the Travelling Salesman, riffing on one of Conan's favorite tropes: the shady old timey huckster. It's a good example of his straight man skills as well.

Jack Shaftoe

Holy crap, that Hannigan thing is fantastic.

Someone else mentioned it earlier, but Conan's first podcast interview with Timothy Olyphant is so great I listen to it once a year or so, just two people who are clearly excellent friends bouncing off each other, Olyphant being the charmingest motherfucker while treating the whole thing with delighted contempt and Conan gleefully taking the role of lesser partner/creepily obsessed fan/stalker, it's brilliant. https://open.spotify.com/episode/5kFwEDsCpmFMKJlnf1yBZN

Minami Minegishi

Yeah big-ish fan.

There is a ridiculous egotistical man in all of us who want to make people laugh and like us even when it's absurd. When we see Conan we remember that.

I'm not keen on the constant, constant fake fighting and feuding that seems to dominate UK and US comedy, but it looks like it's here to stay. Conan does it better than most.

I really his VT travel stuff, particularly when he went to Ireland and Israel/Palestine. Looking forward to the new travel show.

The Bumlord

Olyphant is appallingly handsome and it shouldn't be allowed imho

Beelog

On the Simpsons front he is responsible for one of my all time favourite sub plots which is Homer and the all you can eat seafood restaurant. It's just a relentless torrent of classic lines.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: The Bumlord on April 16, 2024, 11:22:30 AMOlyphant is appallingly handsome and it shouldn't be allowed imho
Yeah, I get you. I feel like if he'd been around back in the classic Hollywood era, he'd have been given a name like Jack Tempest and been a huge star.

I enjoy it when Bill Hader is a guest with Conan too, as there's obvious respect of each other's talents - I saw a clip recently with Hader having a fanboy moment references to Charles Bronson in the Simpsons.

Jack Shaftoe

I'm now a big fan of Artie Kendall the Singing Ghost.

boinkboink

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on April 17, 2024, 07:10:47 PMI'm now a big fan of Artie Kendall the Singing Ghost.

Conan and Stack later repeated this shtick, albeit in a sleightly different form, with the Wiki Bear character. I love both of those creations: shock humor done right.

imitationleather

Really loved both of those compilations. Great stuff.

Uncle TechTip

If you have a Samsung smart TV you might have TV Plus - on there is a free channel streaming Conan all day.

Dusky Rob Roy

Quote from: Poobum on April 14, 2024, 05:27:23 PMI like Conan O'Brien and I like Hot Ones, but I had to stop watching. Found it viscerally repulsive.

It's both repulsive AND impossible to tear your eyes away from in equal measure, a truly remarkable piece of footage. I've always enjoyed Conan but in this he commits to the bit in a way I don't think any artist has since Andy Kaufman.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: MrMealDeal on April 14, 2024, 07:39:22 PMWhat is the US comedy world's view of Corden? I know the US and UK are different, but surely not so different that they'd actually find Corden funny or genuine?

There is a line in Superstore where a character is late and say's it's because they were listening to James Corden on a podcast and they like it because he's the one British person you can listen to and feel smarter than.

Am assuming that came out of the writer's room rather than an ad-lib.

For me it was a bit like seeing somewhere you know on the tele:  pure excitement.

Mr Faineant

I don't like how his hair moves when he's doing a funny.

Kelvin

This is fun:

They do the whole show to a live audience of children, but with the jokes still squarely targeting their adult audience at home. The result being that whole sections of the show go by to near silence from the confused kids, and distant laughter from the production crew.

An excruciating bit of telly that commits to the idea admirably. Andy Richter looks like he's shitting himself near the beginning.

Andy147

Quote from: Des Wigwam on April 18, 2024, 11:35:09 AMThere is a line in Superstore where a character is late and say's it's because they were listening to James Corden on a podcast and they like it because he's the one British person you can listen to and feel smarter than.

Am assuming that came out of the writer's room rather than an ad-lib.

For me it was a bit like seeing somewhere you know on the tele:  pure excitement.

Not just listening to:

"Sorry about that. I got lost hate-watching a James Corden clip at the gas pump."
"Ooh, I love him. He has a British accent, but you can tell he's not smarter than you."

Des Wigwam

Ha! Yes that's right - even better.

C_Larence

Quote from: Kelvin on April 19, 2024, 07:46:18 PMThis is fun:

They do the whole show to a live audience of children, but with the jokes still squarely targeting their adult audience at home. The result being that whole sections of the show go by to near silence from the confused kids, and distant laughter from the production crew.

An excruciating bit of telly that commits to the idea admirably. Andy Richter looks like he's shitting himself near the beginning.

Loved this, the kids all booing Al Gore (seemingly independently) is hilarious.

funstuie

Quote from: Andy147 on April 20, 2024, 04:19:53 PMNot just listening to:

"Sorry about that. I got lost hate-watching a James Corden clip at the gas pump."
"Ooh, I love him. He has a British accent, but you can tell he's not smarter than you."

I live in the US now and for what seems like from 2016 all the way through 2020 James cordens stupid voice would pop up whenever I was getting gas/petrol on the stupid screens that play ads on the pumps.

Back to Conan - I love how the Paul Rudd Mac and me skit has been going on for years and how they sell it every time

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkz3nPPKbA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TyBzqhz6n_M

thr0b

Quote from: funstuie on April 21, 2024, 10:00:27 AMBack to Conan - I love how the Paul Rudd Mac and me skit has been going on for years and how they sell it every time

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkz3nPPKbA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TyBzqhz6n_M

You'll be pleased to know it still happens on the podcast as well.

thr0b

Just watched the first episode of Must Go. Tremendously fun stuff - dropping in on a podcast Zoom guest and telling him "...we have no chemistry". Lovely stuff.

Kelvin

He's just appeared in the music video of someone he visited for the Norway episode.

Love the energy he brings to everything, even at 61 years old.

Oosp

He also shot a scene in (phonetic) Irish on Irish-language soap opera Ros na Rún:

Tags: