Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

June 25, 2024, 05:16:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris - Blue Jam

Started by Neil, June 15, 2012, 08:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on February 27, 2014, 05:07:05 PM
Thank you.  I'm still desperate to find out what the looped ambient track is underneath the 'LWT Complainer' interview from the same episode.  That one doesn't appear to have ever been identified.

Frustrating.

Karma will be awarded by the bucketload if anyone can recognise it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWkreoMBn4

Hi

If it was included in Blue Jam then I think it's too early for Air, and I don't recognise it as something by The Orb/Chemical Brothers.

My gut feel at the moment is that it sounds like it could be a remix from something like 'Global Communication's '76:14' album, or possibly KLF's 'Space'.

Not sure if this helps or not.


Thomas

There is some Air in Blue Jam, 'Soldissimo (etienne De Crecy Remix)' features in episode four of the first series.

TJ

Quote from: weekender on February 27, 2014, 07:30:21 PM
possibly KLF's 'Space'.

Not sure if this helps or not.

You know what? You could be on to something there. Not really an album I've revisited much over the years I have to confess...

weekender

Best guess is now involving something Eno did in the 1970s.

It's not 'Music for Airports volume 1', but please allow me to flagellate anyway.

I feel like we are close to a resolution.

I think it might be Eno.

Kane Jones

#64
Quote from: Thomas on February 27, 2014, 07:32:58 PM
There is some Air in Blue Jam, 'Soldissimo (etienne De Crecy Remix)' features in episode four of the first series.

Also, Les Professionnels from Premiers Symptomes appears on series 3, episode 1. The monologue, I think. And of course Sexy Boy is in series 3, episode 2.  Isn't Kelly Watch The Stars in there somewhere, too?

Quote from: Kane Jones on February 27, 2014, 07:41:52 PM
Also, Les Proffessionels from Premiers Symptomes appears on series 3, episode 1. The monologue, i think. And of course Sexy Boy is in series 3, episode 2.  Isn't Kelly Watch The Stars in there somewhere, too?

Yes it is.  And 'Remember' and 'You Make It Easy'.  Fair bit of Moon Safari actually, come to think of it!


Kane Jones

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on February 27, 2014, 07:50:30 PM
Yes it is.  And 'Remember' and 'You Make It Easy'.  Fair bit of Moon Safari actually, come to think of it!

Ahh, yes! Funnily enough Moon Safari was playing at every house/dinner party I went to during that period, too. Great album, but ubiquitous and overplayed.

weekender

QuoteI'm still desperate to find out what the looped ambient track is underneath the 'LWT Complainer' interview from the same episode.  That one doesn't appear to have ever been identified.

Have we done this?

Quote from: weekender on February 27, 2014, 07:30:21 PM
Hi

My gut feel at the moment is that it sounds like it could be a remix from something like 'Global Communication's '76:14' album, or possibly KLF's 'Space'.

Not sure if this helps or not.

I've just had another listen through the original 'Space' just to make sure and it's definitely not from that.  Is there/was there a remix of the 'Space' album floating about out there?

Quote from: weekender on February 27, 2014, 08:00:15 PM
Have we done this?
Not to my knowledge.  It's usually me that's banging on about identifying this particular track on here so I sincerely hope I haven't missed the big revelation if it has been solved.

weekender

Don't think we've solved it yet then.

Have you listened to all of Eno's 'Ambient' series?  I think there's four albums in total.

It's just that usually if something is not Orb/KLF etc, my first port of call is to listen to the Enos.  I can't recall their entire output, but the track that you're describing sounds like it could come from them, and it wouldn't surprise me if Morris used some of their more obscure tracks in the 'LWT Complainer' sketch.

TJ

There's an Eno track in Brass Eye of course (the Karla The Elephant theme) so that's a good lead...

Quote from: weekender on February 27, 2014, 08:29:58 PM
Don't think we've solved it yet then.

Have you listened to all of Eno's 'Ambient' series?  I think there's four albums in total.

It's just that usually if something is not Orb/KLF etc, my first port of call is to listen to the Enos.  I can't recall their entire output, but the track that you're describing sounds like it could come from them, and it wouldn't surprise me if Morris used some of their more obscure tracks in the 'LWT Complainer' sketch.

Yeah, I love those Brian Eno ambient albums.  I've got all 4 of the initial set, and Thursday Afternoon (that was used in Blue Jam too, thinking about it) and a couple of the lesser know albums like The Shutov Assembly.

It was actually Blue Jam that got me properly into ambient music.  After the first series finished I set off on a mission to try and track down and buy as many of the tracks/albums as I could. Did pretty well over the years, but this one track still eludes me.

You could well be right about The Orb/KLF.  There's so much obscure/rare stuff to wade through, though, particularly with The KLF.

The track definitely sounds very early-mid 90's. 

weekender

This is an utterly ridiculous and preposterous suggestion - and I want it to be recorded as such.

But one thing I've noticed when playing back the 'LWT Complainer' sketch to try and identify the song is that it does happen to follow the exact same chord progression as 'Weekender' by Flowered Up. 

This is an incredibly long shot, but I know that Andrew Weatherall did some remixes for Flowered Up, is it possible that he did something for Morris and Blue Jam?

I really have exhausted all my possibilities now.  I'm calling it.

*weekender is now being put to sleep based on his own advice*

Ambient Sheep

I don't know either, to my embarrassment.

The wibbly bits are VERY Jean-Michel Jarre, but it's not from the original Oxygene (the only one of his works I know at all well).

If it is early 90s, then I'm thinking perhaps somebody like Banco de Gaia, or Biosphere in their quieter moments?  It's definitely not the KLF, and it doesn't sound like The Orb either (although I gave up on them after a while).

If I was anywhere near my CD collection, I could glance through them to see if any other names come to mind, but I'm not, so I can't.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 27, 2014, 09:18:06 PM
I don't know either, to my embarrassment.

The wibbly bits are VERY Jean-Michel Jarre, but it's not from the original Oxygene (the only one of his works I know at all well).

If it is early 90s, then I'm thinking perhaps somebody like Banco de Gaia, or Biosphere in their quieter moments?  It's definitely not the KLF, and it doesn't sound like The Orb either (although I gave up on them after a while).

If I was anywhere near my CD collection, I could glance through them to see if any other names come to mind, but I'm not, so I can't.

Morris did use a Biosphere track ('Poa Alpina' from the Substrata album) underneath the 'Symptomless Coma' sketch, so they could be a possibility, I guess.  The LWT Complainer music isn't from any of the tracks on Substrata, mind.

I don't think this track will ever be identified, though.  It's been nearly 17 years and I'm still none the wiser.

This is a bit like that time on here when we were trying to figure out who actually recorded and released  that "Fucking Cunt/Awkward Bastard" 12" single in 1984 and still didn't get any closure on it!

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on February 27, 2014, 09:25:07 PMThis is a bit like that time on here when we were trying to figure out who actually recorded and released  that "Fucking Cunt/Awkward Bastard" 12" single in 1984 and still didn't get any closure on it!

I think we did in the end, although to be frank it wasn't closure worth having - turned out probably to be a bunch of session musicians who'd done some work with Gary Numan, or something.

I much preferred it when we could pretend it was The Damned.  Most days I still do.

Ambient Sheep

The more I listen to this, the more I think I *have* bloody heard it at some point, on one of my ambient compilation albums (which are currently 180 miles away).


EDIT: Or the sort of thing that used to populate MTV's Chill Out Zone back in the day.  I miss those days.

Oh, oh, could it be Future Sound of London?  Yes, yes, that's the vibe I'm getting, it's very Lifeforms-y in parts...  There are bigger FSOL experts on here than me (you know who you are), any ideas?

alcoholic messiah

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 27, 2014, 09:18:06 PM
The wibbly bits are VERY Jean-Michel Jarre

Yep, it immediately made me think of him too.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 27, 2014, 09:18:06 PM
but it's not from the original Oxygene (the only one of his works I know at all well).

To my ears, it could easily be a sample from the intro to Oxygène, Pt. II, processed in a fashion not dissimilar to that employed elsewhere in Blue Jam with other tracks i.e. slowed down, bassline filtered out, looped.


Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 27, 2014, 09:36:13 PM
I think we did in the end, although to be frank it wasn't closure worth having - turned out probably to be a bunch of session musicians who'd done some work with Gary Numan, or something.

I much preferred it when we could pretend it was The Damned.  Most days I still do.

Oh yeah.  I forgot about that.  Yes, disappointing.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on February 27, 2014, 09:39:23 PM
Oh yeah.  I forgot about that.  Yes, disappointing.

I followed that thread - it was all so mysterious and exciting. Just goes to show it's all about the journey, not the destination.

Ambient Sheep

Actually we never quite got a definitive answer... although it seems we came pretty close.

TJ

I'd noticed the similarity to Weekender too, though as a Flowered Up obsessive (and currently working on a book that's partly about them) I can say with some confidence that it's not from anything they released commercially. But did someone - Weatherall? - sample it?

blue jammer

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on February 27, 2014, 05:07:05 PMThank you.  I'm still desperate to find out what the looped ambient track is underneath the 'LWT Complainer' interview from the same episode.  That one doesn't appear to have ever been identified.

Frustrating.

Karma will be awarded by the bucketload if anyone can recognise it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWkreoMBn4

It's this:


Alex Gray - Hypersleep [Josef Weinberger Limited - JWCD 2051] 1992

discogs.com/master/1712129-Alex-Gray-Ambient-Dance




Spiral King