Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 24, 2024, 04:32:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Current US Mainstream TV Comedy

Started by dissolute ocelot, December 09, 2022, 12:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on December 16, 2022, 10:11:39 AMFor Mom, and now Bob Hearts Abishola, you have to take into consideration that these shows are not entirely part of the Chuck Lorre sausage factory. They involve an associate of his, Eddie Gorodetsky, aka Eddie G. Eddie G is an SCTV, SNL and Letterman alumni who tends to be involved with the better shows produced by Lorre.

Eddie G is also an avid record collector who's friends with Bob Dylan. Dylan actually managed to get one of Eddie G's compilation of obscure Christmas songs released by Sony, and he relied a lot on his input (Gorodetsky was the producer) for the Theme Time Radio Hour show which he had on Sirius.

Last but not least, Eddie G was the real creative mind behind Penn & Teller's cult (but unreleased) video game, Desert Bus.

Huh, I'd not heard about him before but it's interesting to hear. I have to say while I really liked Mon I didn't click with Bob Hearts Abishola, but then I only watched the first episode and didn't give it much of a chance.

Famous Mortimer

I briefly mentioned it on page 1, but "The Neighborhood" is remarkable in its lack of any even slightly good jokes. The laugh track comes as a genuine surprise sometimes, like this made it from the writer's computer to the screen with everyone going "yes, this is definitely good enough to broadcast on a major American TV network". There was an episode on the other day (notice the passive voice there to absolve myself of responsibility, learned it from Baddiel) where I was left idly wondering what the cast, seasoned comedy performers who'd be able to tell the difference between a good and bad line, thought of the tripe they were being given.

Bartholomew J Krishna

Just finished watching, and thoroughly enjoyed, 'Mo' on Netflix.
IMDB link
Not necessarily as mainstream as the rest but hopefully enough to be relevant.
Good cast and performances, well written, and funny.
(Strong 'Atlanta' vibes).

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Bartholomew J Krishna on January 02, 2023, 12:58:08 PMJust finished watching, and thoroughly enjoyed, 'Mo' on Netflix.

Saw this several months ago and kept meaning to see if there was a thread on it.

Also thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend but remember being bit disappointed by the ending.

Maybe because it was veering towards being
Spoiler alert
too wacky and contrived as well as setting up a second series for sure. Can't blame them for that but it felt heavy handed. It seemed a bit "the continuing adventures of Mo"
[close]

Blue Jam

Quote from: thr0b on December 09, 2022, 01:16:41 PMIt continues to surprise me that The Conners hasn't been picked up here. Roseanne had a decent following in the 90s, The Conners is very mainstream, consistently CBS' highest rating sitcom, and it's not being touched.

Just seen a plug for it on Now TV. Still the first I'd ever seen of it though.

Famous Mortimer

The "legasequel" of Night Court just started in the US. John Larroquette won multiple Emmys the first time round, and he's still great, but I get the feeling that this won't run as long as the original.

Famous Mortimer

Just saw the first two episodes of "Night Court" and it's a curious one. John Larroquette is easily the best thing in it, plenty of experience of the multi-camera sitcom world and also naturally funny. India De Beaufort (as the new Assistant District Attorney) and Kapil Talwalkar (the clerk) are both excellent, but Lacretta (bailiff) and Melissa Rauch, star and producer, are going to take some getting used to.

Rauch is doing a sort of cover version of Harry Anderson's original judge and is okay, I'm just not sure she's sitcom central character material. Lacretta suffers because she's not a patch on the original bailiffs, Richard Moll (Bull) and Marsha Warfield. Moll is probably a shade old (80) to be tempted out of retirement, especially to do a role that occasionally gets physical, but it misses someone with his character.

They've exactly recreated the sets, which is nice, and the wacky criminal thing is carried on too. I think it'll be fine, but I don't think we're going to get 8 years of it, like the original.

Tags: