Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:36:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Roxy tour 2022

Started by the science eel, March 28, 2022, 02:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

https://www.roxymusic.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR0B2kX7OdNOffjgqLagwhqUgVVA0z6xybRkVw-XD31lhxLJlzZUxw_wjZw

They're all too old, probably. But this is my first chance, and I LUV EM.

Anybody else thinking of seeing them on one of their THREE (!) exclusive UK dates?

DrGreggles

Friday in London will have to do me.

SweetPomPom

Isn't his voice shot to bits now? Not Paul Young bad but pretty grim.

Would still be tempted if they decide to play somewhere smaller than the O2.

the science eel

Quote from: SweetPomPom on March 28, 2022, 03:17:09 PMIsn't his voice shot to bits now? Not Paul Young bad but pretty grim.

It wouldn't surprise me.

I'm a bit more worried about Paul Thompson - think he had some difficulties a few years ago. Surprised he's back in the stool.

I mean, I'm interested almost regardless. They'll have enough going on around the core four to make it worthwhile - backing vox and woo-woo synths. And Ferry doesn't exactly need to have good pipes to deliver something like 'Mother of Pearl'.

PaulTMA

Can anyone vouch for them being any good last time around?  Can't remember if it was that 2004ish tour was the last thing I saw a video of, or the later one but I remember thinking they sounded fairly limp.

Egyptian Feast

I saw them at some point (Wembley Arena, IIRC) in the last 10 or so years and they were OK. They played mostly what you would want to hear and played it competently, but it lacked excitement.

It's a crap venue, but Wembley Arena was responsible for getting me into Roxy in the first place. I did some agency work at one of the bar kiosks when they played there around 2001 and the little bursts of music that I heard when people came out of the arena for a drink sounded fascinating. I remember hearing a huge muffled shout from the audience at the end of 'Virginia Plain'. Picked the first album up in QVC the next day.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: the science eel on March 28, 2022, 03:37:47 PMIt wouldn't surprise me.

I'm a bit more worried about Paul Thompson - think he had some difficulties a few years ago. Surprised he's back in the stool.

I mean, I'm interested almost regardless. They'll have enough going on around the core four to make it worthwhile - backing vox and woo-woo synths. And Ferry doesn't exactly need to have good pipes to deliver something like 'Mother of Pearl'.

Probably an entire band playing behind the  scenes with Roxy mixed way down a la mrs McCartney

Goldentony

are they going to do Angel Eyes

Jockice

SweetPomPom

The O2 is £150+ fees for seats in the same postcode.

SteveDave

Or they can fuck off for nothing

the science eel

Booked for Glasgow, £89. Cautiously optimistic.

PaulTMA

Fuck it, got third row seats. £126 each.  They'd better do Just Another High!

Bryan Ferry the musician and performer is iconic.  As for Bryan Ferry the fox hunting supporter and progenitor of fox hunting supporters, the less said about him the better.

the science eel

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 31, 2022, 10:43:24 AMFuck it, got third row seats. £126 each.  They'd better do Just Another High!

of ALL songs to wish for!

PaulTMA

Quote from: the science eel on March 31, 2022, 12:02:36 PMof ALL songs to wish for!

That's my fave one.  I know there is no chance though.

I think these days I like the Ferry/Eno song 'I Thought' from Frantic even more though.

Head Gardener

my £1.99 incl. P&P playing card arrived today, I wonder if he'll turn up on the tour even for a laugh

JohnnyCouncil

Reakon he'll show for London for a couple of songs. Gutted as well because I was going to get my mum and I tickets for the London show (her birthday present) until my Dad parped up he'd like to go and it's probably a bit far for them (and neither of them can stand me), so tickets for the two of them in Manchester it is.

dontpaintyourteeth

I wish I could go because they're very high in my personal bestest-ever-bands list, but I'm too poor

the science eel

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 03, 2022, 09:44:25 AMI wish I could go because they're very high in my personal bestest-ever-bands list, but I'm too poor

Console yourself with the fact that Ferry is long past his best.

Quote from: the science eel on July 03, 2022, 12:56:10 PMConsole yourself with the fact that Ferry is long past his best.

What is he like as a live performer these days?

Quote from: Art Bear on July 03, 2022, 02:20:03 PM

Ooops!  It's just as well the audience clearly don't mind!

Now Jerry Hall's left Murdoch, she should get back with him and do the 'ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-oooowwww' bit in the middle again.

dontpaintyourteeth

I feel much better now

On that showing, he'll not be at Glasto at age 80.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 31, 2022, 10:43:24 AMFuck it, got third row seats. £126 each.

Bands in their 70s can charge more because their fans are in their 60s and have a few bob. But that footage looks a bit sad, like an end of the pier oldies session but the singer's voice is shot and the audience all have bus passes.

dontpaintyourteeth

Don't want to hijack this thread but what a band they were. Whenever I revisit their records a different song jumps out at me and becomes a favourite. This one off Country Life blew my mind 'tother day:

the science eel

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 03, 2022, 02:57:29 PMDon't want to hijack this thread but what a band they were. Whenever I revisit their records a different song jumps out at me and becomes a favourite. This one off Country Life blew my mind 'tother day:

soooooo good

I hardly ever listen to Country Life these days - not sure why. It's a bit too thick with sounds, a bit proggy almost. At least it is in my head.

And as for Siren.... don't the Americans go nuts for that one?

dontpaintyourteeth

Siren and Avalon are the only ones American friends ever seem to know. Love is the Drug and More than This are to thank I guess. Which is fair enough because they're ace