Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:53:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

"Hold on, I'm sending an sausage to the TARDIS."
Classic Heebie catchphrase.

A post that could only ever start a new page.

JamesTC

Just be aware that it would be a vegetarian sausage as it takes place after The Two Doctors for the Sixth Doctor.

purlieu

"That better be an vegetarian sausage, Heebie!"
"Sure is, Doctor. I'm sending up an glass of carrot juice, too!"
"Carrot juice?!"
-closing titles-

RetroRobot

Evelyn is probably my favourite companion ever. She's just lovely and doesn't tolerate the Doctor's shit.

daf

They're  good place to start for anyone trying Big Finish for the first time.

"Doctor Who and the Pirates" Is a contender for my favourite ever story - on Audio or TV!

Mister Six

Quote from: daf on July 03, 2022, 12:39:59 PMThey're  good place to start for anyone trying Big Finish for the first time.

"Doctor Who and the Pirates" Is a contender for my favourite ever story - on Audio or TV!

It's also available on Spotify, at least in the US.

JamesTC

Jubilee for me. Featuring Evelyn "Hot Lips" Smythe.

Hobo

Just heard on the grapevine (I'm in the local SAG) that Belton House (National Trust just outside Grantham, lovely outdoor play area for kiddies) is closed for a few weeks for filming.

Malcy

Quote from: Hobo on July 03, 2022, 06:32:05 PMJust heard on the grapevine (I'm in the local SAG) that Belton House (National Trust just outside Grantham, lovely outdoor play area for kiddies) is closed for a few weeks for filming.

Inside and out from what I read.

Replies From View

DOCTOR WHO IN 'CLOSES DOWN CHILDREN'S PLAY AREA' SHOCK

at this rate there will be nothing in the show for anyone apart from the dads

Hobo

It's quite the hullabaloo doing it during the school holidays. First the Thatcher statue, now this.

17th July to 19th August.

Hobo

Update: apparently Dr Who filming is a week or so, then Bridgerton for the rest.

According to the unsourced Facebook rumour mill, Chibnall has refused to do an appearance at San Diego Comicon to promote the Centenary Special when asked by the BBC.

To be fair, I can see why he has absolutely no incentive to continue promoting a show he's no longer working on when the next showrunner is already effectively in charge, but it's funny how he's already washed his hands of his own era before it's even finished. Like it's such a non-event that even he can't be bothered talking about it.

frajer

The man's an artist, everything he wanted to say is up there on the screen.

Which was "Amazon gets a bad rep but have you considered the workers are the problem" and "I have a dog."

Deanjam

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on July 07, 2022, 11:39:09 AMAccording to the unsourced Facebook rumour mill, Chibnall has refused to do an appearance at San Diego Comicon to promote the Centenary Special when asked by the BBC.

To be fair, I can see why he has absolutely no incentive to continue promoting a show he's no longer working on when the next showrunner is already effectively in charge, but it's funny how he's already washed his hands of his own era before it's even finished. Like it's such a non-event that even he can't be bothered talking about it.

He never bothered promoting it when he was in charge, so it's no surprise he's not interested when he's out.

purlieu

I suppose we can thank Chibnall for keeping the show on the air, as this appears to be both his legacy, and his sole aim. Admittedly he almost failed at that.

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on July 07, 2022, 08:19:35 PMI suppose we can thank Chibnall for keeping the show on the air, as this appears to be both his legacy, and his sole aim. Admittedly he almost failed at that.

I'd have preferred a five year gap, personally.

BritishHobo

Imagine if 'New Who' had ended with World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls followed by Twice Upon a Time. Then a long break before this re-reboot.

Mister Six

I'd rather another couple of seasons of Capaldi/Mackie/Lucas, but five years of dead air would have been grand too.

You can't even say, "Ah, but we would have missed out on..." can you? A rubbish Doctor, no great companions, no memorable new monsters, no standout guest performances except maybe Alan Cumming, and even then only because he was surrounded by such dross. Best episodes were, what, Villa Diodati and frog on a chair? Both of which would have been in the upper-middle tier of RTD or Moffat seasons, but are hardly Blink or Midnight material. No great losses at all. Total waste of everyone's time.

BritishHobo

Yeah, apart from the casting of a female Doctor (which hopefully RTD will do again eventually), I can't really think of anything I would miss. The only moment I can think of that was a real stand-out for me was the bus scene in Rosa.

Mister Six

Because it was such absolute dogshit?

Speaking of which, I will admit some affection for the Karvanista, but not to the extent that he balances out all the other cack.

Replies From View

The bus scene - in which the Doctor was characterised by passively observing a racist event unfolding around her, for no logical or ethical reason beyond the fact that it was an historical earth event to be treated with reverence.  Which is just evidence that the story shouldn't have been told.  Something previous writers had already presumably worked out.

BritishHobo

It still feels a bit bad to say this (being about a white bloke in an episode about Rosa Parks) but Bradley Walsh's acting in that storyline is the only bit of acting I have genuinely enjoyed in this era. Convincingly portraying the impact Graham's wife has had on him, and his reconciling that with how horrible the world can actually be. You're right about the Doctor, but I liked Graham realising he would have to be a bystander. It's just a shame his wife died climbing a crane for no reason.

Mister Six

Walsh in Chibnall Who is the dictionary definition of "transcending the material".

Fuck my hat, imagine if he'd been given the chance to work on good scripts?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Mister Six on July 07, 2022, 09:52:01 PMI'd rather another couple of seasons of Capaldi/Mackie/Lucas, but five years of dead air would have been grand too.

god i think about this often. it would have been so good :(

Kelvin

I dunno, I think there's something to be said for Moffat leaving the series on such a high note, his best or second best series, instead of a year or so earlier, or a year or so later. He did what most TV writers rarely achieve, ending his tenure with some of his best material. It makes for such a perfect end to that era (series 1-10).   

Mister Six

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on July 07, 2022, 10:28:23 PMgod i think about this often. it would have been so good :(

Yeah, although obviously the unspoken implication is that those seasons are headed by Moffat, but he really seemed to find a second wind, and my god the chemistry among that TARDIS crew was perfect.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Kelvin on July 07, 2022, 10:35:36 PMI dunno, I think there's something to be said for Moffat leaving the series on such a high note, his best or second best series, instead of a year or so earlier, or a year or so later. He did what most TV writers rarely achieve, ending his tenure with some of his best material. It makes for such a perfect end to that era (series 1-10).   

Aye. As much as I would have loved to see more of that TARDIS team, I think that Cyberman two-parter is such a perfect topper, with the Christmas special as a lovely epilogue.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Mister Six on July 07, 2022, 09:52:01 PMYou can't even say, "Ah, but we would have missed out on..." can you? A rubbish Doctor, no great companions, no memorable new monsters, no standout guest performances except maybe Alan Cumming, and even then only because he was surrounded by such dross. Best episodes were, what, Villa Diodati and frog on a chair? Both of which would have been in the upper-middle tier of RTD or Moffat seasons, but are hardly Blink or Midnight material. No great losses at all. Total waste of everyone's time

Villa Diodati and Village of the Angels (except the Chibnall cutaways, natch) were top-class Doctor Who that would have been welcome in any season. 

Mister Six

They're very good, but honestly if they were in an RTD or Moffat season, competing with the likes of Blink, Vincent and The Doctor, Midnight etc they'd be where I said - upper-middle. It's only because they were surrounded on all sides by the raw incompetence of Chibnall that they seemed particularly excellent.

I do hope RTD keeps her on the writing staff, though, as anyone who can come out of Chibnall's showrunning relatively unscathed is a serious talent.