Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:22:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dirty Harry DVD for £3.99

Started by wooly, March 25, 2004, 10:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooly

Just a tip for fans (like myself) of vintage vigilante cop movies with fascist undertones....

Normally I wouldn't touch something that has a free binder with part one with someone else's barge pole, but De Agostini are publishing a Clint Eastwood series of magazines with a DVD.

If you buy the first edition (available in all good newsagents) you get Dirty Harry on DVD for the bargain price of £3.99.

Great movie, dirt cheap....make your own day etc...

An absolute classic. One of two dvds, the other being Chinatown, that I regret immensely selling on Amazon. For me there's two pivotal moments in the film. The famous opening scene as Scorpio tracks the girl in the pool through his sights, a very calm and peaceful movement set against such menacing and deeply cool music, and also the moment Scorpio first sees Callaghan overlooking the road as he forces the schoolbus on. Right at that point he knows he's a dead man.

Bilko

Christ what a giveaway, I'm off to WH Smiths at Lunch Time.

Although there is a special DVD release of Dirty Harry with lots of extras on it. Could be worth buying.

elderford

Worth it alone for the theme music when the bass kicks in after all the jazzy noodling.

Clint Eastwood as Det. Insp. 'Dirty' Harry Callaghan doesn't half make a brown suit with turned-up trousers look spectacular.

Excellent use of the anti-hero, even hippies of the time fell in love with the character.

Anyone know what other dvds are coming out with the mags?

Lord Spong

I love Harry
Best of all the policemen.
I love Harry
He's my friend.

Heh heh.  This news has 'made my day'.  Punks.

wooly

Quote from: "elderford"
Anyone know what other dvds are coming out with the mags?

Yes indeed, there is Unforgiven, Magnum Force, Outlaw Josey Wales, Space Cowboys, Heartbreak Ridge, Kelly's Heroes, The Enforcer, Pale Rider, The Gauntlet.

A few good ones in there (Josey Wales, Pale Rider, Kelly's Heroes) but I think it goes up to £8.99 after editon 1, so possibly not worth it.

Bilko

The scene in the Football stadium with the lighting is one of the most cinematic moments I've ever seen, in any film.

"If I see a naked man chase a woman down an alley with a butcher's knife and a
hard-on, I figure he ain't out collecting for the Red Cross"

Lt Plonker

What's the one where they're interviewing that lass from Cagney & Lacey and he starts mentioning shetland ponies? I love that scene.

twatloops

That soundtrack is by far the funkiest thing on God's earth.  Lalo Schiffrin (sp.) kicking ass indeed.  I bought the soundtrack CD for the fantastic groove that plays while Scorpio is on the roof looking for the right hippy to kill in the park.  Top drumming.

On a seperate note, Chad Jackson's "Hear the drummer get wicked" had a great track on side b called High on Life that sampled some of the DH soundtrack in a marvellously atmospheric way.

I already own all the dirty harry movies otherwise I'd be battling my way to Smiths for this. I do think it's a good idea to release a weekly magazine/dvd combo for collectors though and hope others follow suit.

By the by... As much as I love the original the best Dirty Harry is actually Magnum Force and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Bilko

Quote from: "Lt Plonker"What's the one where they're interviewing that lass from Cagney & Lacey and he starts mentioning shetland ponies? I love that scene.

Thats the Enforcer.

'Hypothetical situation? I'm standing on the street corner and Mrs. Grey there comes up and propositions me. She says, if I come home with her for $5 she'll put on an exhibition with a Shetland pony.'

One of the police officals hides a smirk when clint says that

Lord Spong

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"
Thats the Enforcer.

'Hypothetical situation? I'm standing on the street corner and Mrs. Grey there comes up and propositions me. She says, if I come home with her for $5 she'll put on an exhibition with a Shetland pony.'

'What law is she breaking?  Apart from cruelty to animals!'

MojoJojo

Saw this advertised during Judge Dredd yeterday.

Noticed that the "regular price" is £8.99, which is quite as exciting.