Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:02:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

R.I.P. my nan.

Started by no_offenc, March 26, 2004, 10:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

no_offenc

Soz, just posting to say that my nan just went then....she'd been in hospital for three weeks, with what started as arrythmia of the heart and ended up as lung cancer and eventually pneumonia as well.

She went peacefully thank fuck.  Uh, yeah.  's venting, this, I think.

Purple Tentacle

My full consolations.

Is it your first grandparent to die? Do you know when the funeral is?
My grandad died in Spain the other week and I've got to read a eulogy at his memorial next week, never had a very close relative die before.

Three weeks is a pretty swift demise though, very "lucky" not to have suffered longer. How old was she?

no_offenc

Well she'd been on and off for ages........last grandparent to go as well.  She was 82.  Has a "good innings" like.  And had a pretty full life.

No idea when the funeral is cos she went literally half an hour ago, if that.

smoker

sorry to hear that man. at least it was fairly quick. my gran died from emphyzema last year, was in a home for months before though, on the ventilator and that. really took it out of my mum and aunt. you say she had a full life, that's the main thing.

jutl

Sorry to hear that - if it's any consolation, the last 82 years were probably one of the most exciting times in human history to be alive...

It's not really related, but I'm just reading Ingmar Bergman's autobiography, and he says that his uncle was knocked over by a train while concealing the designs of an invention for changing streetlightbulbs easily in his trousers.

no_offenc

Were the lightbulbs in his trousers, or was he changing the lightbulbs whilst wearing his trousers?

Thanks for the consolationoposts, 's appreciated a lot :)

Gazeuse

Sorry to hear that...Nans are great.

jutl

Quote from: "no_offenc"Were the lightbulbs in his trousers, or was he changing the lightbulbs whilst wearing his trousers?

It was just the design that was in his trousers. The tragedy is that the design was never built. Well, that and the guy being hit by a train.

no_offenc

Couldn't they've fished the paper from his pocket?

Purple Tentacle

It was all a lie to get women.

"Do you want to see my plans for lightbulbs? Then just stick your hand in there......"

jutl

Quote from: "no_offenc"Couldn't they've fished the paper from his pocket?

The design was actually wrapped in waterproof oilcloth inside his long-johns, because he was a urinomaniac and liked to stand solemnly during social occasions and piss his trousers. No-one thought that a man with such habits could design a genuinely worthwhile device, and so he was ignored, and we had to stick with blokes up ladders.

I do recommend this book.

butnut

It's sad loosing a gran. About 5 years ago my mine died, after being in hospital for a few months. But at the funeral I got very angry - because it was all so formal and stuffy, and not at all like my gran. I definately want one of those 'happy' funerals.

Hope you're ok, and best wishes with everything.

mook

Nans are brilliant. Mine died 14 years ago and not many days pass by without me thinking of her. Superb old bird she was. I was lucky enough to spend a lot of time with her, she was a fantastic cook and could swear in five languages she also brought me my first spaniel and a 16 bore when I was 11 years old on the proviso that I didn't tell my parents about the gun.....she got a bit tipsy that Christmas and and let slip that "the boy ain't a bad shot." So that got confiscated... I miss that old cow something rotten.

DistantAngel

Sorry to hear that ...

Mrs Angel's nan died two weeks ago, and we were all ready and prepared to go out to Germany this weekend to visit her.  Mrs Angel was, naturally, upset, but mainly at the fact that she hadn't seen her grandparents in 5 years, and was two weeks away from going out there.

We're still going, however, but now the holiday is going to be more of a "comfort, run errands for, and look after grandad" affair ...

Johnny Yesno

Aw! That's sad. Apparently "grandchildren are God`s reward for not killing your kids" so that's probably why grans are so much easier to get on with than your parents.
My gran died a couple of years ago and since the funeral the rest of the family have been a little less slack about staying in touch with each other. At least something positive came out of it.

Almost Yearly

Is it too early for the Indian takeaway joke?

Or to sing It's not easy being gran?

Cerys

I, too, am sorry to hear that, no_offenc.  All my grandparents were dead by the time I was twenty-two.  I often wish my maternal grandfather had lived long enough for me to show him the kind of art I tend to create now - he'd been planning to go to art college when he was young, before the Depression and WW2 got in the way.