Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:42:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More inessential shit from the backwaters of old TV you somehow still remember

Started by non capisco, November 02, 2020, 11:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Quote from: non capisco on May 18, 2022, 11:33:13 AMThe only thing I remember from Beadle's Hot Shots is a troupe of people all pretending to be Bruce Forsyth running amongst the audience, sticking their chins out and going "ththththththth".

Quote from: jenna appleseed on May 18, 2022, 02:22:01 PMI think I saw the first episode of that - possible an initial one off pilot/special - definitely Beadle & sketch(es) looked like badly filmed shit filmed at home on a camcorder by random members of the public. Not even sure I watched the whole episode tbh, only bit I remember (inexplicable keep popping back into my head over the decades) had somebody parodying andrex adverts by pretending to wipe their bum on a cuddly toy dog and flush it down the loo - don't think it even looked like a toy andrex puppy which might've been vaguely funny.

Yep. I remembered the Brucey thing too. In their sketch, they had a Brucey popping out of a dumpster. "Who is in the bin?" / "It's the man with the chin." I'm actually quite annoyed to remember that.

I didn't remember the Andrex dog but I've found the complete first episode of the show on YouTube. Lo and Behold, your Andrex dog is there! I remember that toy; my sister had one. Seems I am good at remembering pointless shit.

If this episode is anything to go by, there was a remarkable tendency for people to parody adverts. It's like that was the first and only thing they could think of when accepting the brief to make a comedy sketch. Really odd. TV advertising must have occupied a very special place in the brains of the public in the '90s. (Couldn't see Hard as Nails on a scrub through this episode).

Replies From View

People essentially craved YouTube into existence with the aid of Jeremy Beadle.  Makes you think

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

In that first episode that Mobbd has put up, we witness not only the Andrea dog, but the massed Brushes, some ( very) early Edgar Wright directed stuff, an ad break with some genuine 1994 adverts ( including one for a revamped Babycham), *and* a spoof soap advert made by a teacher and his pupils ( sixth- formers by the look of it), which is clearly the prototype for one of those ads what Paul Merton did for Imperial Leather ( it's more or less exactly the same script; this last one baffled me, as I thought that the Paul Merton ad was earlier- unless they just remade the Paul Merton ad, but that wouldn't have been such a funny thing to do, would it?)

jenna appleseed

Just skimmed through and fuck I'd totally repressed parts of this like Captain Poundshop Uncle Albert 'Codfish' eating his human fingers.

Also have I misremembered the source for decades or was the sketch supposedly filmed with "the local amateur dramatics society" with the chivalrous man laying down his cloak over a puddle only for the posh/royal lady to fall down a hole a straight copy of something filmed with proper actors & on real cameras, I saw elsewhere in the 90s on either a real advert/comedy sketch show or compilation of random comedy clips. (eta: or did I just mentally merge it with vaguely remembered bits of Blackadder two? just remembered that wherever I saw this sketch there was def a recent/current thing featuring the done straight version of 'man putting cloak down for posh/royal woman' and I knew the thing/concept it was parodying.)

eta2: Comments claim this episode was from 1994 & *was* a pilot shown a while before a full series or 2.  I'm not entirely sure I made it past the genuine adbreak.
Have no memory of the wacky students ripping of Python's Whicker Island and the Goodies plague of Rolf Harrises with everybody turning into Brucey.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 18, 2022, 08:54:34 PM*and* a spoof soap advert made by a teacher and his pupils ( sixth- formers by the look of it), which is clearly the prototype for one of those ads what Paul Merton did for Imperial Leather ( it's more or less exactly the same script; this last one baffled me, as I thought that the Paul Merton ad was earlier- unless they just remade the Paul Merton ad, but that wouldn't have been such a funny thing to do, would it?)

fuck my hat - watching the soap sketch back to back with the real advert, one of them really did rip the other off.

Paul Merton Imperial Leather
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5k2c5d8QVc 

Kids version pos plagiarised by their English teacher Pete starts at 21mins
https://youtu.be/o8Sp3Xx7BuE?t=1260

eta: re the Andrex ad parody - that toy dog still looks nothing like an andrex puppy.
I was traumatised by that sketch, it kept popping back into my head at random times like I was having grim flashbacks of a real puppy being flushed down the loo.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

In retrospect, I think the kids just remade the original Paul Merton ad (the kid at the end even gets called " Paul"), simply substituting the older lady for the basketball player, and Robert Hardy's name for that of Jeremy Beadle, this being the extent of their own original humour.
That whole show is an interesting watch. The woman in that spoof advert for sedative cat food is an extraordinarily good actress.

willbo

does anyone remember a show (possibly on channel 4) in the late 90s where they got 2 men to swap race? They got some big white guy and painted him with brown tan, but they got this smaller black guy and made him up in this elaborate Jim Henson type mask that looked kind of like a Jewish caricature. And he went to some event full of old conservative men to see if they were racist. And at the end of the dinner he got them to pull the mask/make-up off. I thought about it last week for the first time in years

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: willbo on May 20, 2022, 11:37:04 PMdoes anyone remember a show (possibly on channel 4) in the late 90s where they got 2 men to swap race? They got some big white guy and painted him with brown tan, but they got this smaller black guy and made him up in this elaborate Jim Henson type mask that looked kind of like a Jewish caricature. And he went to some event full of old conservative men to see if they were racist. And at the end of the dinner he got them to pull the mask/make-up off. I thought about it last week for the first time in years

Sounds like you just had a dream after reading your dad's pitch idea journal when settling his estate.

Edit: this belongs in things your dad is doing thread.

kalowski

Quote from: willbo on May 20, 2022, 11:37:04 PMdoes anyone remember a show (possibly on channel 4) in the late 90s where they got 2 men to swap race? They got some big white guy and painted him with brown tan, but they got this smaller black guy and made him up in this elaborate Jim Henson type mask that looked kind of like a Jewish caricature. And he went to some event full of old conservative men to see if they were racist. And at the end of the dinner he got them to pull the mask/make-up off. I thought about it last week for the first time in years
Was Lenny Henry in it?

George White

There've been a few shows like that- the American one IIRC had families, and the white family were actually actors (and IIRC not a real family - the dauhter and the stepfather were actors).

ANd then of course there's Harry Hill favourite -  Mike Reid on Age Swap,where the only way to make Reid look younger was black him up and put himin a wig and sunglasses to play a 3 year old  Rastafarian DJ named Remo. When on a phone call to a potential client, the client immediately recognised his voice. "He sounds like what's his face... Mike Reid."
And of course Reid's sole knowledge of patois saying "Onion rings!" in a 'Chalky voice'.

non capisco

I faintly remember a similar one where they got Craig Charles to disguise himself as I can't remember what (might have been someone with facial deformities rather than a race angle come to think of it) and he pulled his mask off in a shopping centre in front of some children who were clearly pretending to know who he was after the reveal.

CHARLES: Have you ever seen Red Dwarf?
CHILD: Oh yeah! That programme with the dwarf.

Some or all details of that may be inaccurate. Maybe I fell asleep halfway through Craig Charles' Funky Bunker and just dreamed it

kalowski

Quote from: George White on May 20, 2022, 11:52:22 PMThere've been a few shows like that- the American one IIRC had families, and the white family were actually actors (and IIRC not a real family - the dauhter and the stepfather were actors).

ANd then of course there's Harry Hill favourite -  Mike Reid on Age Swap,where the only way to make Reid look younger was black him up and put himin a wig and sunglasses to play a 3 year old  Rastafarian DJ named Remo. When on a phone call to a potential client, the client immediately recognised his voice. "He sounds like what's his face... Mike Reid."
And of course Reid's sole knowledge of patois saying "Onion rings!" in a 'Chalky voice'.

What the fuck? Is this real??

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on May 21, 2022, 07:32:25 AMWhat the fuck? Is this real??
So I have found it. Bloody hell that's bizarre. Good stuff from Harry, of course.

George White

And I meant to say 35 year old Rastafarian DJ Remo, not 3 year old.

franticplanet

Quote from: non capisco on May 20, 2022, 11:54:42 PMI faintly remember a similar one where they got Craig Charles to disguise himself as I can't remember what (might have been someone with facial deformities rather than a race angle come to think of it)

That was Celebrities Disfigured, where they went undercover with prosthetics; Caprice with a port wine stain birthmark, and Craig with facial burns; indended to raise awareness of what it's like to live with facial deformities. Except Craig wildly misunderstood the brief, and took to leaping out at people like a prank show and skulking about in a plastic mac. It culminated at a Red Dwarf convention, where the rest of the cast were doing a Q&A, with Craig in the audience asking questions in a weird voice. Everyone got really uncomfortable as he made a scene, butting in and shouting things out, and they clearly thought he was drunk or had a learning disability, before he got up onstage (with Chris Barrie looking very nervous) and revealed who he was and did his fake Ernie from Sesame Street laugh.

"See, we're nervous of people with facial deformities, ain't we?!" Well that, or you acting like Freddy Krueger.

There was another show around the same time where celebrities switched gender to experience what it was like, which had Barry from EastEnders done up like a lady and putting on a high voice, eventually joining his own quiz team to see if they'd recognise him.

Sebastian Cobb

Did anyone else watch Killernet, the ropey Channel 4 drama about a live-action snuff video game set around Brighton in 1998? I think Brooker covered it in one of his shows.

I think I quite liked it at the time, but looking at clips it was obviously bollocks.

Edit: it's on archive.org https://archive.org/details/killer-net-1998

George White

It was basically Lynda LaPlante doing a scare film about FMV games without knowing how FMV games were made.

George White

From a friend, who's looking for
A colour production, all on film, shown on UK TV, possibly BBC 2 or C4 in the daytime, possibly an educational  or religious series.  It could also be something like Storybook International.  It was set in a hill or a mountain, something vaguely Tyrolean looking, but maybe the Rockies (they possibly had North American accents) - two young guys in their twenties in napsacks (think the guys in the Tripods in vague period dress that could be anywhere between the Hundred Years War and 1920), one being the young narrator, and the other a wiser guy, on a journey or perhaps a pilgrimage, who meet while going on separate ways, and they find a wounded bird with a broken wing, and break its neck. One of them becomes upset, and the other says, "Why are you sad? It cried out in pain so we could help it. Now, it's at peace." or words to that effect.  And then they run into an avalanche or a landslide, and they both fall. The young narrator falls asleep, and wakes up alone, screams and cries out his companion's name.

Quote from: franticplanet on May 21, 2022, 01:00:23 PMThere was another show around the same time where celebrities switched gender to experience what it was like, which had Barry from EastEnders done up like a lady and putting on a high voice, eventually joining his own quiz team to see if they'd recognise him.

David Dickinson was on that too.

grainger

Quote from: George White on May 31, 2022, 10:16:06 PMIt was basically Lynda LaPlante doing a scare film about FMV games without knowing how FMV games were made.

Or even what games really are.

George White

Yes, apparently she was basically horrified that her nephew was playing Phantasmagoria, so wrote this thing decrying it without doing the research.
Like a mum who gets your nerdy things wrong. "Oh, it's R2D3 from Star Trek!"

Mobbd

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 31, 2022, 09:37:50 PMDid anyone else watch Killernet, the ropey Channel 4 drama about a live-action snuff video game set around Brighton in 1998? I think Brooker covered it in one of his shows.

I think I quite liked it at the time, but looking at clips it was obviously bollocks.

Edit: it's on archive.org https://archive.org/details/killer-net-1998

Yes, I saw it at the time and I remember finding it quite exciting. I was about 16 years old and completely new to the Internet, finding things like chat rooms pretty intoxicating. The adventure on the show seemed almost plausible to me at the time.

It became but a memory for years and then Charlie Brooker mentioned it on one of his Wipe shows (can't remember which one - anybody?) so I think he remembered it fondly or found it interesting at the time too.

I stress "at the time" because I do think it was probably bollocks and would have dated exceptionally badly.

Sebastian Cobb

I watched a bit last night and it opens with a very stereotypical messy student house and square housemate moaning because it's his turn on THE ROTA.

Then he pitches doing the Milgram experiment 'but going further' to his lecturer who sees no problem with this. I think it's mostly taught as a bad ethics case study these days.

Will probably end up rewatching though.

Mobbd

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 01, 2022, 11:12:15 AMThen he pitches doing the Milgram experiment 'but going further' to his lecturer who sees no problem with this. I think it's mostly taught as a bad ethics case study these days.

Oh yes, I remember the Milgram connection now. Thanks for that. I studied Milgram in A-Level and eventually degree psychology so this would have piqued my interest/got me wound up too.

(Not to derail this, but Milgram is indeed discussed as a case study in bad ethics but we also studied it at two separate institutions as an introduction to 'Obedience', the dark side of 'conformity' and a key topic in social psychology. Burp!).

You should start a Killernet thread in Picture Box if you do rewatch and want to tell us a bit more about it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Mobbd on June 01, 2022, 11:39:33 AMOh yes, I remember the Milgram connection now. Thanks for that. I studied Milgram in A-Level and eventually degree psychology so this would have piqued my interest/got me wound up too.

(Not to derail this, but Milgram is indeed discussed as a case study in bad ethics but we also studied it at two separate institutions as an introduction to 'Obedience', the dark side of 'conformity' and a key topic in social psychology. Burp!).

You should start a Killernet thread in Picture Box if you do rewatch and want to tell us a bit more about it.

If I can watch it properly and get stuck in I'll definitely make a thread. Shouldn't be too hard actually, I think I watched far worse recently.

Ha the mention of 'conformity' has resurrected parts of my own psychology a-level I thought I'd long forgotten. I forgot a lot of it came with the caveat 'but it still teaches us' after they got the 'this was totally fucked up' bit out the way. Zimbardo, lol.

willbo

does anyone remember an episode of Trisha where the "villain" was an older Caribbean lady who's family were all arguing with her , and anytime they said something she said "whatever...what-EVAH...". The way she said it while waving her hand dismissively has been stuck in my head 20 odd years

George White

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 01, 2022, 11:20:55 PMIf I can watch it properly and get stuck in I'll definitely make a thread. Shouldn't be too hard actually, I think I watched far worse recently.

Written by one of my cousin's pals.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm sorry but it was basically awful.

There's a bit where the guy comes flailing at the women calling them 'silly girls'.

ProvanFan

Things I remember about Killer Net:

-Advert for it featured Subterranean Homesick Alien and a fairground at night
-Jason Orange was in it
-Reminded me of the film Brainscan which I'd seen on Channel 4 years earlier and which was better

Some of that might be misremembered, but Jason Orange was definitely in it. Unless it was Howard.

bushwick

I remember Killer Net being unintentionally funny as fuck, played completely straight but really stupid. You had shots from the POV of the killer (done to look like a FPS I think?) where he's charging about doing this really loud demented sounding pervy heavy breathing, really OTT, sounded like an asthma attack or something. I am tempted to rewatch it.

Here's a query: possibly early channel 5 or maybe channel 4, early 00s I think. A reality show about people going to a health farm of some sort. I remember a chubby cheeky cockney guy called Monkey and a glamorous lass who apparently worked in nightclubs doing some hosting type job. I remember Monkey questioning the nature of her job and whether she was really "a brass". They also did some colon cleansing thing and I remember Monkey saying "the shit was OOZING out my arse" with really funny emphasis that has always stuck with me. Anybody recall that?