Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:52:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2022

Started by selectivememory, January 04, 2022, 12:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocDaneeka

Medvedev a bit of a small cat in this set.

selectivememory

Ok, if Nadal wins this from two sets down it'll be one of the greatest comebacks ever. After Meddy stole the second set, I really thought it was game over.

selectivememory

Quote from: DocDaneeka on January 30, 2022, 12:56:33 PMMedvedev a bit of a small cat in this set.

Some of his dropshots have been dire. Truly terrible play for him; keeps setting up Nadal for easy winners or handing him initiative in the rallies.

Best men's major final in a while though. Probably since these two last played one against each other.

Deanjam

Nadal big cat roar, no?

selectivememory

Never been the biggest Rafa fan, but this is special. Would love to see him close it out now.

Crenners

Edit: Maybe not that great.

Deanjam

selectivememory

Oh dear. Bit of a choke.

Deanjam

Nadal with another shot at serving it out. But both men look uncertain.

selectivememory

Crenners

Not a big fan of either but would be great to see Nadal overtake cunt Rog and cunt Djok.

Deanjam

And Rafa serves it out with ease. Well done on 21. Nadal is more likeable now he's going bald.

selectivememory

Beautiful. That's up there with Federer's 2017 run to the title.

Djokovic fans in ruins 😂😂😂

Crenners

Just remembered Rafa straight talk about Djok cunt before the tournament. Nice one buddy.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on January 30, 2022, 02:15:39 PMDjokovic fans in ruins 😂😂😂

The best thing about this, really. Honestly, Djokovic getting himself banned from his best major for the stupidest reasons and Nadal jumping ahead of him in slam count, with the French to come next is hilarious.

Menu

Quote from: Deanjam on January 29, 2022, 11:13:01 AMWell done Barty. A very likeable player. Amazing that she quit tennis to play cricket a few years back.

What strikes me about her is that she doesn't seem that bothered about winning or losing. I guess that's a good thing as it means she plays with a greater freedom but there's been a weird disconnect between the passionate BARTY PARTY crowd and her kind of indifference to it. I've never seen a successful tennis player feed off the crowd less than Barty does.

chveik

she's not indifferent, just very focused

Menu

Yeah I was going to put 'seeming' indifference. But I think the point stands that she turns a blind eye to the crowd in a way I've rarely seen before. Especially in the context of an Aussie winning the Australian Open. These aren't criticisms by the way. It's just something I found interesting.

rjd2

Thiem pulled out of his event this week, need him back or the French will become a procession if Novak not their.

selectivememory

Sad to see that Del Potro's probably going to retire after his tournament this week. Had held out hope for one final miraculous comeback, but it seems he's just playing a farewell match or two. I'm going to miss that monstrous forehand.

rjd2

Yeah the forehand was insane.

His run at the US Open in 2009 was superb, Cilic, Nadal and Federer all defeated when all at their peak.

I loved the Wimbledon semi final v Novak a few years ago also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjKz7F7Q-ak

chveik

rjd2

Quote from: chveik on February 06, 2022, 07:46:35 PMnice one bublik

Absolutely random as was the winner in Pune.

shoulders

Wasn't there a good Murray v Del Potro at the Olympics? Seem to recall there was.

Shame about all those injuries, thought he was gone already tbh.

Despite being a major winner he seemed a little bit of a soft touch mentally against top players after he came back in his late 20s. You could see him looking across the court and not believing he was going to win.

Much rather he had stayed fit as a disruptive influence than fucking Ferrer.

selectivememory

Yeah, Del Potro's run at the Rio Olympics was legendary. Had barely started his comeback after more than two years out, and couldn't really hit his usual backhands because he was still tentative about putting too much pressure on his wrist. But he took out Djokovic and Nadal, and just fell short in the final. It was probably the only time I was rooting for the other guy in a Murray match.

I wouldn't judge him too harshly for losing the majority of his big matches. I think just even coming back at all and having the success he did was remarkable, especially given that he had to do it twice in his career after his initial breakthrough.

Would've been lovely to see him win another slam, but he got to win the Davis Cup and Indian Wells at least.

selectivememory

Quote from: chveik on February 06, 2022, 07:46:35 PMnice one bublik

Oh wait, he beat Zverev. Lol.

Zverev keeps going on about how much pressure he's under to win a slam and be number one. Pretty sure he's the only person who expects that of him at this point.

selectivememory

Relatively minor stuff in the scheme of things, but it's nice to see that Felix Auger-Aliassime has finally won a title. A lot of signs that he's been stepping up a level recently, and hopefully that continues.

chveik

another win for sneezy

Menu

Quote from: selectivememory on February 07, 2022, 01:56:05 PMYeah, Del Potro's run at the Rio Olympics was legendary. Had barely started his comeback after more than two years out, and couldn't really hit his usual backhands because he was still tentative about putting too much pressure on his wrist. But he took out Djokovic and Nadal, and just fell short in the final. It was probably the only time I was rooting for the other guy in a Murray match.

I wouldn't judge him too harshly for losing the majority of his big matches. I think just even coming back at all and having the success he did was remarkable, especially given that he had to do it twice in his career after his initial breakthrough.

Would've been lovely to see him win another slam, but he got to win the Davis Cup and Indian Wells at least.

He did start to look good last summer and because his serve has finally improved I was expecting him to win a slam in the next couple of years. But for some reason he just finds the 5 sets matches overwhelming. But he is capable of overcoming that I think and if he did it would really improve the slams - we're beginning to get a number of different players being able to seriously challenge now.

selectivememory

Think you may have quoted the wrong post there mate, as much as I wish Del Potro had been playing good tennis last summer. 😭😭😭