Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:07:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2022

Started by selectivememory, January 04, 2022, 12:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Raducanu into the quarters at Stuttgart, albeit with a kind draw so far. Swiatek next though, so I suspect that will be it for her. Still, it'll be interesting to see how she matches up against the best player on her favourite surface, and it's good to see her winning a few matches after her rocky start to the season.

selectivememory

Really impressive match from Emma, even though she lost in straights. The most Swiatek's been pushed in a while. Looks pretty comfortable on the clay, and I reckon she has the potential to be really good on it in the future. Fun match-up.

selectivememory

With Swiatek taking a week off to let the other girls have a shot at winning something, the WTA has reverted to its usual fun chaos. Ons Jabeur is the only top ten player to have made it through to the third round of Madrid, and Raducanu is the next highest-ranked player still in the draw. Emma's been playing some pretty decent stuff recently, so a good opportunity for a run for her. Should make the quarters at least.

Halep looked amazing against Badosa yesterday, and Andreescu is looking sharp as well after her long break. Wouldn't mind a final between those two.

selectivememory

Stunning performance by Jabeur today against Halep. She'll never get another draw as open as this to win a big title, and I would love to see her take advantage.

Haven't seen any of his matches at this tournament, but apparently Murray has been pretty good so far. Plays Djokovic tomorrow for the first time in five years.

selectivememory

Alcaraz and Djokovic's first match didn't disappoint. Still can't quite believe how good Carlos is already at the age of 19. Doesn't even feel like overhype at this point to say he's clearly the best men's player to emerge since the big three.

selectivememory

Where are my fellow Ons Jabeur fans at? Haven't seen chveik around in a while. Lovely moment anyway, would love to see her do it in a slam.

selectivememory

28 wins/five titles on the bounce for Swiatek. Turning into a historically great season for her. Jabeur didn't even play badly in the Rome final today and still got rinsed. Going to be a bit of a let down now if Iga doesn't win Roland Garros, but she has to be the overwhelming favourite.

I'm kind of loving it; it's going to be interesting to see which players are going to raise their game to challenge her if she keeps it going.

shoulders

Heh, ATP have censured Wimbledon meaning Djokovic is at risk of losing his ranking.

Some attempts to claim ATP are siding with Putin, as usual set at a hysterical tenor.

I can see both arguments here to be honest.

selectivememory

Pretty much certain to lose his ranking after Wimbledon, even if he successfully defends his Roland Garros title (and I do make him slight favourite there). Wimbledon, by banning Russian players, have inadvertently made sure a Russian will be #1 again soon. Quite funny.

I'd have liked to see some players boycott the event, but I'm glad the ATP and WTA have done something at least. Aside from the discrimination, having title contenders like Medvedev and Sabalenka not allowed to take part does diminish the competition for me.

selectivememory

Anyway, Roland Garros gets underway in a couple of days. Djokovic, Nadal and Alcaraz have all been drawn in the same half, which is great news for Tsitsipas, who should definitely make the final again. Be amazed if it isn't one of those four that wins it.

On the women's side, it's Swiatek against the field as far as I can see. Can't see her losing at the moment if she plays anywhere near her best.

selectivememory

Jabeur already out. Quite a let down after her stellar clay season. Feel she has as good a chance as anyone at Wimbledon though now Barty is out of the picture.

selectivememory

WTA doing its thing again at the French Open. Swiatek is the only top 10 seed to make the last 16. And at the moment there's only one other top 16 seed through (Pegula, who is nothing if not consistent), though Rybakina will make it three if she beats Keys.

I mean, a lot of good players still in it, especially in the bottom half. Anisimova, Fernandez, Gauff and Stephens would all be decent finalists. But I dunno what it is about Roland Garros in recent years, the top seeds just always seem to struggle.

DocDaneeka

Coco Gauff is sponsored by Barilla pasta so I'm supporting her.

Leylah Fernandez is sponsored by Morgan Stanley so I hope she loses.

Dex Sawash

Amazing scenes here in  nadal match

selectivememory

Ooh. Felix has taken him to a fifth set. Only the third time that's ever happened to Nadal at RG.

From what I've seen, Felix has been solid, and very good at times, but Nadal's level has been pretty erratic. The sets he's losing are the ones in which he's spraying unforced errors all over the shop. Dunno if I fancy his chances against Djokovic in the next match if he makes it through this.

selectivememory

Quote from: DocDaneeka on May 29, 2022, 02:18:41 PMCoco Gauff is sponsored by Barilla pasta so I'm supporting her.

Leylah Fernandez is sponsored by Morgan Stanley so I hope she loses.

Heh. I do like then both, but Leylah especially is just so much fun to watch. Would quite like to see them play in the semis. Both just one match away from that now.

Edit: Sloane Stephens might have something to say about that though. Just won 12 straight games against the in-form Teichmann.

rjd2

Anyone over the age of ten who thinks Alcarez is not juicing shouldn't leave their house alone absolute taking the piss this lad.

Sloane's random Slam runs are always fun, but she is probably due a stinker and Gauff is very consistent.

Pleased Fernandez has came through and now plays Trevisan who has done nothing at all since her similarly random run here a few years ago.

selectivememory

Tsitsipas beaten by talented Danish teenager Rune. Missed opportunity for Stef with this draw, but even though he's had some decent results on clay this year, he never looked as good as he did last year.

That bottom half is well open now. Ruud-Rune as one QF, with Sinner, Rublev, Medvedev and Cilic still to play today. Guess Meddy is slight favourite to make the final, but he's never really liked the clay (though he can play on it), and only played one lead-up event on the surface this year.

selectivememory

Quote from: rjd2 on May 29, 2022, 09:42:10 PMAnyone over the age of ten who thinks Alcarez is not juicing shouldn't leave their house alone absolute taking the piss this lad.

He is tremendous to watch, but yeah, it is a bit sus how he put on all that muscle over the winter off-season. Not sure if I've seen a faster player around the court than him too. Some of the points he's managed to win this year have been absolutely absurd.

DocDaneeka

Maybe he just went Vegan like Djokovic.

rjd2

Zhang playing some good stuff here , probably loses but Iga not cruising like she has been for the past few weeks.

selectivememory

She's good, this Zheng. Nice clean shotmaking. So many good teenagers breaking through in the WTA in recent years.

But Swiatek is getting a bit like Djokovic in that her opponents just have to maintain an incredibly high level to even stick with her. Had a lot of matches lately with very competitive first sets, which she wins and then wins the second in a blowout.  She was a bit crap in her previous round and still won it comfortably; would think maybe Fernandez or Stephens would be the biggest dangers to her left in the draw.

rjd2

Iga should have won that set, but this is a proper challenge for her as Zheng is playing some really nice stuff now.

selectivememory

Iga looked very nervy at times. Shouldn't have lost that set, but Zheng is really going for it.

rjd2

Injury for Zheng seems to have ruined what was a cracking match sadly.

selectivememory

Zheng's defence and movement in the first set was stunning. Probably couldn't keep that level up, though she's picked up a bit again in this third set.

selectivememory

Quote from: selectivememory on May 30, 2022, 04:25:40 PMGuess Meddy is slight favourite to make the final

Didn't age well, but can't say I'm unhappy to see lovely old Marin Cilic having a run at this tournament.

selectivememory

Damn. A shame Fernandez was injured, although she put up a good fight. Winner of Coco-Sloane has got to fancy their chances in the semis against Trevisan.

rjd2

Ugh. Zverev is probably going to beat the nicest guy on tour Cilic in the final isn't he?

selectivememory

That result is a bummer on several levels. The one day Zverev has to finally get a win over a top 10 player at a slam ffs.

Hopefully Novak or Rafa smash him in the semis.